Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP01 Shadow or Shadow 2

Stafford

Been leaning toward a Shadow 2, mainly because I’ve shot one. But, I see better deals on the SP01 Shadow. Is there really much difference between these 2? Can save maybe $200 on the SP01 Shadow and I can use it in IDPA, haven’t shot one though. I loved shooting the Shadow 2. Very accurate even while shooting double taps. 

Been leaning toward a Shadow 2, mainly because I’ve shot one. But, I see better deals on the SP01 Shadow. Is there really much difference between these 2? Can save maybe $200 on the SP01 Shadow and I can use it in IDPA, haven’t shot one though. I loved shooting the Shadow 2. Very accurate even while shooting double taps. 
Shadow 2 is a larger frame and fits my hands better. Both are tack drivers. So you should get the one that fits your hands best and you LIKE shooting. $200 is negligible if you end up regretting it later

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Shadow 2 is a larger frame and fits my hands better. Both are tack drivers. So you should get the one that fits your hands best and you LIKE shooting. $200 is negligible if you end up regretting it later

But if you purchase a Shadow 2 and  intend to shoot it in IDPA competition, you will end up spending MORE than $200 over the S1, because you will have to pay someone who knows what they are doing machine metal from the gun so it meets IDPA weight limits.

But if you purchase a Shadow 2 and  intend to shoot it in IDPA competition, you will end up spending MORE than $200 over the S1, because you will have to pay someone who knows what they are doing machine metal from the gun so it meets IDPA weight limits.
Make better life decisions and don't shoot IDPA to begin with [emoji850][emoji850][emoji850]

I do have smaller hands...... and I don’t shoot IDPA as much as USPSA, so.... maybe SP01 Shadow???

Local range/gun shop has two Shadow 2’s. A black and blue and an Urban Grey (don’t really care for the color or the finish wear). Both priced at $1,199. The trigger is much better on the Urban Grey than the Black and Blue, both in DA and SA. Can find them both cheaper online, but I’ve dry fired the two locally.

I’m willing to pay more for the Urban Grey that has a good trigger even though I don’t like the color and finish wear. But, if the SP01 Shadow is better for smaller hands........

The grey has the same trigger as the other colors.  They all vary from gun to gun quite a bit irrespective of color.  As to the original question buy an Sp01 is you want to shoot SSP in IDPA.  Shooting an S2 in ESP is not practical or financially feasible.  Moreover even in ESP I think the S2 magazine release would not be legal.

Yep S2 mag release with the paddle installed is not legal for ESP, got DQ'ed for running one on the S1. You could remove the paddle for IDPA, but still have the overall weight issue. 

I would suggest trying the S1 first before buying since you know you like the S2. While the grip does feel in general smaller, the S1 had a rounded trigger guard that extends down at the bottom where the S2 is more flat like most guns I shoot. I find the S1's trigger guard makes me feel like my support hand is sort of low and out of place. 

I’ve seen a couple comments that the SP frame is smaller but I would suggest that it’s actually larger than the S2’s frame. I don’t own a SP01 but it certainly “felt” larger when held side by side with a S2 in a LGS.

Yep S2 mag release with the paddle installed is not legal for ESP, got DQ'ed for running one on the S1. You could remove the paddle for IDPA, but still have the overall weight issue. 

I would suggest trying the S1 first before buying since you know you like the S2. While the grip does feel in general smaller, the S1 had a rounded trigger guard that extends down at the bottom where the S2 is more flat like most guns I shoot. I find the S1's trigger guard makes me feel like my support hand is sort of low and out of place. 

With internal slide/frame lightening you can take off the magazine release and shoot ESP. You won’t have a magwell like most ESP shooters but you can get the gun into the game this way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve been running a Shadow 2 for a year now and I found a great deal on a Shadow Target 2 I couldn’t pass up yesterday. I can take some side by side pics if you want, I should get to the range in a few days and can give some side by side comparison. I have XL size hands fwiw. 

3 hours ago, sfotex said:

I’ve been running a Shadow 2 for a year now and I found a great deal on a Shadow Target 2 I couldn’t pass up yesterday. I can take some side by side pics if you want, I should get to the range in a few days and can give some side by side comparison. I have XL size hands fwiw. 

Would like to get your impression on trigger weight in DA and SA, accuracy and feel. More specifically, how do they compare on quick double taps similar to what you would do in competition. 

7 minutes ago, Stafford said:

how do they compare on quick double taps similar to what you would do in competition. 

Just an FYI this isn't a productive way to think of two shots in competition. It could just be semantics, but you'll never hear this term in a match because it's associated with aiming once and pulling the trigger twice. It's important to know where the sights were aligned each time the gun fires.

Your ability to grip the gun and which recoil spring you use will make a larger difference in how the gun behaves than the weight. 

And we frequently shoot multiple targets that aren't directly in-front of you. How quickly you can put two holes in one target means very little in the grand scheme of a match. Next time you're at the store swing the gun from left 45deg to right 45deg and see how you like that dynamic. It's more indicative of the speed you can shoot a given gun for this game than how fast you can pull the trigger.

You can see more discussion of this here: 

Yeah, I was going to say swing weight and grip are probably going to be the interesting part of the comparison. The internals in the 2 guns are set up the same more or less (I'm not sure what springs weights are in the new gun but they feel pretty close.) and the trigger weights feel pretty close. I don't reload 9 mm right now, so having a main spring that can pop most primers reliably is more important then the lightest unreliable spring I could run. The big reason I got the Target 2 was to see if I liked a lighter gun then the  Shadow 2. 

I've had both and decided to stick with the SDP01/Shadow 1 configuration.  It fits my hand better, points more naturally and I like the trigger reach in both single and double action better.  the Shadow 2's weight and layout I would say definitely keeps it on target a little better for strings of fire.  But again, the Shadow 1 just works better for any hands (which are not small) and preferences.  Also, I can shoot my Shadow 1 in IDPA whereas the Shadow 2 is too heavy.

2 hours ago, WxGuy said:

Why not look for a 75 Shadow DA/SA?  My SAO 75 Shadow is balanced just right and I'm going to look for it's mate next year.  I also have a Shadow 2 and a CTS LS-P.

My local store has a 75 Shadow, however, it is from the Custom Shop which raises the price considerably. Priced at $1,309. Don’t know if that is a good price or not for the work done by CZ Customs.

Shadow 2 and just find the right grips for your hands.  LOK’s are my favorite I use palm swells because I have big hands.  Overall it is just a better gun all around.  It comes with an amazing trigger and I only spent like 25 bucks on a new spring kit to get the trigger to feel as good as the CZC triggers I’ve felt on Shadow 1’s.