Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production capacity

Stafford

19 minutes ago, Stafford said:

Are all mags loaded with 10 rounds? 

Can you load 11 in your first mag to start with 10+1 like IDPA?

Or, can you load and chamber, then drop the mag, and add in a new 10 round mag to go 10+1 on your first shots.

As per D4 #9 you must have 10 rounds in each mag after the start signal which means at 'make ready' a mag with 11 rounds is legal just so that +1 is in the chamber at the start signal. There is nothing wrong with load the chamber, drop the mag and add 10 round mag just alot of extra steps.

Edited by Bench

1 minute ago, Stafford said:

So, you can’t have 11 in your first mag - correct? But you can load and chamber, drop the mag, and insert another 10 round mag for 10+1.

You can have 11 in your first mag as long as you only have 10 in your mag at the start signal. 

You can also use a mag to load the chamber and then swap it out for a 10 round mag. 

It's really only tricky on unloaded starts, then all mags must be only 10

I’m trying to get into the habit of having 4 on my belt and one in my back pocket, 10 rounds each. At make ready, I load one from the farthest back mag holder, then put that mag back into the holder and put the 10-round mag from my pocket into the gun. At start I have 10+1 in the gun and 39 on my belt. 

I thought about putting 11 into a mag and using that one at make ready, but I don’t want to get into the habit of having an overloaded mag. Might add a 5th mag holder for those “unloaded with all mags on belt” starts. 

12 hours ago, waktasz said:

Just mark your fifth mag in some way. For me I painted the basepad. That mag always gets 11. 

On unloaded starts I don't use it at all. 

I found an orange base plate somewhere and used it as my start mag

my make ready mag with 11 in it never goes into a pouch at all. it goes into a front pocket. it never is confusing for me as i know that mag HAS to be my make ready mag.  that way and i can use any mag i bring to the match.

Sidebar: seems like after every stage, you need to completely unload your mags before reloading. That way you don't have to remember if you shot 8 before dropping or 6, etc... This ensures you have 10 in every mag and 11 in your starter mag.

Whereas in Limited, you just load it back until it's full.

Game theory would probably dictate using 10 round magazines for competition - the risk of making the mistake of loading more than the Division capacity is too high and the cost of making that mistake is not acceptable. How many have seen that guy who takes a make up shot on 4 paper/2 steel array and doesnt have to rack the slide after the reload? There is always one :) Although you 'could' put a positive spin on this - like winning Open at the Production Nationals :) 

For training this is not an issue, but for competitions - 10 round mags only for me.  I'll trade some of my standard cap mags for 10-rounders .  

Edited by nasty618

3 hours ago, nasty618 said:

Game theory would probably dictate using 10 round magazines for competition - the risk of making the mistake of loading more than the Division capacity is too high and the cost of making that mistake is not acceptable. How many have seen that guy who takes a make up shot on 4 paper/2 steel array and doesnt have to rack the slide after the reload? There is always one :) Although you 'could' put a positive spin on this - like winning Open at the Production Nationals :) 

For training this is not an issue, but for competitions - 10 round mags only for me.  I'll trade some of my standard cap mags for 10-rounders .  

This^. I started in IDPA and after the first time I miscounted my rounds I bought all 10 round mags. 
Use a Barney mag to load the +1. 
It’s also easier to tell if the round chambered that way. Barney mag has 1 round, load mag, slide forward, remove mag. If mag is empty then round loaded! 

4 hours ago, rowdyb said:

my make ready mag with 11 in it never goes into a pouch at all. it goes into a front pocket. it never is confusing for me as i know that mag HAS to be my make ready mag.  that way and i can use any mag i bring to the match.

Too easy. Unloaded start, toss it on the bag and go.

On 12/2/2019 at 8:39 AM, Sarge said:

Just mark your fifth mag in some way. For me I painted the basepad. That mag always gets 11. 

On unloaded starts I don't use it at all. 

I found an orange base plate somewhere and used it as my start mag

On 12/2/2019 at 9:09 AM, rowdyb said:

I have a sixth cheap kydex pouch on my belt at about 5 o'clock that gets my Make Ready mag.  I also hang my muffs from it when walking around as I generally double plug. I try not to have a dedicated start mag as it'll get more use than all the others.

However in SS Major I do have a dedicated start mag because it has a different follower that makes it easier to load to 9. I don't like the Barney juggle.

On 12/2/2019 at 9:18 AM, Stafford said:

Sidebar: seems like after every stage, you need to completely unload your mags before reloading. That way you don't have to remember if you shot 8 before dropping or 6, etc... This ensures you have 10 in every mag and 11 in your starter mag.

I pack all my ammo the MTM boxes so I don't have to count rounds while loading. It encourages me to use actually use a 100rd case gauge too.
One thing I like about Production is that loading mags doesn't tear up your thumb because you're never fighting much spring pressure.  Shooting outdoors I like to brush my mags before reloading them anyways, so I don't mind the unloading at all.

On 12/1/2019 at 11:17 AM, Kraj said:

You can have 11 in your first mag as long as you only have 10 in your mag at the start signal. 

You can also use a mag to load the chamber and then swap it out for a 10 round mag. 

It's really only tricky on unloaded starts, then all mags must be only 10

So if the shooter forgets to chamber a round does he get a procedural for 11 in the mag at start signal?

4 hours ago, happygunner77 said:

I thought for a minute there this is another thread  production only having 10 rounds coz I don't reload fast enough. 

Reloads are by far the easiest thing to make huge gains on with just a little bit of dryfire. ;) 

It’s what makes Production fun.

So, you can’t have 11 in your first mag - correct? But you can load and chamber, drop the mag, and insert another 10 round mag for 10+1.
You 100 percent can have you first mag loaded with 11.

I have 6 mags on my belt, all loaded with 10.
The 7th mag (loaded with 11) is in my pocket for loaded starts.

If it is a stage with an unloaded start that (7th) mag stays in my back and I walk to the line with the 6 on my belt
OR
I take one road put depending on the stage so I still have my full belt loaded.

Anyone that tells you different is mistaken, I've been to many majors and load this way.

Rules states: At the start signal (which is the buzzer to start shooting the stage) ALL mags must have 10 rounds MAX. WHAT YOU DO BEFORE THE START SIGNAL IS IRRELEVANT AND DOES NOT MATTER.

Hope this helps and enjoy production. Best division in USPSA

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Whereas in Limited, you just load it back until it's full.
I do unload every single mag after a stage. Reason being that if you dont and there is sand, mud, water, etc. I would be pissed I lost a stage due to a malfunction.

Unloading my mags have nothing to do with round counts. (yes I have standard capacity mags all the time amd dont use 10 rounders ever).

I clean and wipe dont all mags regardless of what Firearm I'm using, to include my glocks and M&Ps.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk