Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X-Five Maintenance

cjmill87

Looking to possibly make the jump from Glock to Sig for my competition shooting platform and specifically interested in the P320 X-Five (either original or Legion).  While I don't shoot a ton of rounds per year, I am always concerned with maintaining my equipment and for me that includes spares and preventative maintenance.  I have a pretty solid stockpile of Glock replacement parts as they are widely available but I don't see much for the X-Fives on the market.  Can anyone point to a good source of spare parts or provide suggested replacement schedules from Sig on these models?

Top gun supply

If you dry fire alot with out a dummy round, you'll eventually flatten the striker return spring. Not a function problem until you do an unlaoded start and the striker is sticking out stopping the round from chambering.

Clean it every 1000-1500 rounds and shoot it.

I clean mine more often but the first one I ran a case ,3300 rounds with only adding some oil before I shot.

They're like glochs , duty guns with better ergonomics ,at least for me.

Edited by jcc7x7

I cleaned mine for the first time yesterday because it rained all match and the gun was soaked. About 2500 rounds through it. I didn't even have to use any solvents, everything just wiped clean quickly with paper towels and q tips.

Sig has their P320 Parts Picker website for small parts: https://www.sigsauer.com/p320-parts-picker/ ; I don't think anything in the X5 is unique (besides the trigger and RSA).

MGW also sells small parts: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/sig-sauer-p320/parts.html

I keep at least 2 of everything in my range bag, that includes 2 GG trigger kits (spring aren't available separately), guide rod springs, firing pin assemblies, 8 optic batteries (CR1632), magazine catch/release with springs, optic bolts with locktite, 1 spare optic (I have a backup gun as well), I also keep 4 brand new magazine springs & followers (Grams), take down lever, etc. I keep pretty much everything I need to rebuild the gun minus, slide and barrel.

I'm extremely lazy when it comes to cleaning my guns, but I definitely try and keep as many spare parts as possible. My X5 had 6k rounds on it going into Hi-cap nationals this yr, I didn't bother to clean it, I just changed all my mag springs & followers, mag catch/release spring, optic battery, and guide rod spring. It did not skip a beat over 3 days and 2 that were a complete dust storm. I also re-torque my optic every 5k, 28k rounds in the last 18m and my original Romeo 1 is still going strong.

A friend of mine that puts a ton of rounds through his x5,s has only broken a slide stop on one of his guns.  (Has three of them)   10k plus rds through all of them with little to no maintenence.      They seem to be tanks    

If you plan to remove the striker to clean the channel, be careful with the striker assembly because there is a very tiny spring under the safety lever. 

One general tip - do not lube any of the trigger action parts back in the sear housing. I thought moving parts should be lubricated to prevent wear, correct?  In the case of the P320 it is not necessary because of the plating on the parts. In  addition, it makes the P320 reset very muted (not crisp, dull).

Edited by DCSigCZ
Replacing incorrect words created by autocorrect with the correct words.

3 hours ago, DCSigCZ said:

If you plan to remove the striker to clean the channel, be careful with the striker assembly because there is a very tiny spring under the safety lever. 

One general tip - do not lube any of the trigger action parts back in the sear housing. I thought moving parts should be lubricated to prevent wear, correct?  In the case of the P320 it is not necessary because if the playing on the parts. In  addition, it makes the P320 reset very muted (not crisp, dull).

Had the striker removed many times now, never seen a problem with a spring. Wich spring is that, or did i already lose it?  ;) 

15 minutes ago, bimmer1980 said:

Had the striker removed many times now, never seen a problem with a spring. Wich spring is that, or did i already lose it?  ;) 

I need to get home to my Armorer’s Manual. As soon as I crack it open tonight, I will reply with that info. 

The striker assembly contains two tiny springs. The Safety Lock Spring is a V shaped spring and the Striker Reset Spring is a minute cylindrical coil spring. My memory is nagging me that some Forum Folks said that Sig may have discontinued the use of the Safety Lock Spring, but I cannot recall for certain.

It’s not in the Manual, but our Armorer Class Instructor stated that the Striker Channel and Striker Assembly should be disassembled and cleaned every 5,000 rounds, then re-assembled DRY.  That makes sense due to the carbon from powder ignition. 

Here is the Parts Replacement Schedule SIG published in 2016:

- Extractor Spring 20,000 rounds  

- Extractor 20,000 rounds

- Striker ASSEMBLY (the whole thing) 20,000 rounds

- Takedown Lever 20,000 rounds

- Slide Catch Lever, Slide Catch Lever Spring and Post 10,000 rounds

- Trigger Bar Spring 10,000 rounds

- Magazine Spring when the mag fails to lock the slide open.  

Many of those round counts sound conservative, e.g. the Slide Catch components, but the above is what’s Sig says to maximize reliability. 

Finally, no replacement schedule was

provided for the 4 springs in the Sear Housing Assembly, the Sear or the Safety Lever. 

Edited by DCSigCZ

I generally use Lucas Grease on the rails and the barrel. If it is really cold or a mechanism needs lighter lube (like the slide of my TX22) I use EWG (Extreme Weapons Grease).  

- The Lucas is from Lowes, it’s the same grease as packaged for firearms (just a different color)  but you get a lifetime supply for $9 Instead of 1 ounce for $15.  

- The EWG is amazing because it is genuinely carbon averse and can be used as grease or instead of oil when applied sparingly. 

- The Lucas is heavier duty but attracts carbon. 

- I bought blunt tip syringes from Amazon to fill with each grease so I can apply each exactly where I need it to be. 

I tried to attach one photo of each but they are too large. 

14 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I use Mobil 1 car oil. 15w50 for summer and 5W20 for the winter. That is also what I use in my cars so I have lots on hand. Thanks, Eric

Mobil 1 good lube use in and on everything I own

• 1 month later...

About 3000 rounds through mine.  Looks brand new inside.  Love the idea of taking the whole chassis out of the gun and cleaning it in the ultrasonic!  Brian Enos Slide Glide Lite on the rails and Lucas grease as per Gray guns instructions.  Can't remember ever having an issue.  As much as I didn't want to be a "Sig Guy", it looks like I'm won over.  Loving my MPX didn't help!
Merry Christmas to all.