Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

coated bullets for major?

chgofirefighter

So I'm new to relaoding my own ammo, I'm using a Dillon 750 XL with a auto bullet feeder also an auto case feeder, my press is basically setup. However, I went ahead and got myself some coated bullets from ibijiheads, I do believe is their name.  My friend whos also a gunsmith and competitive shooter cautioned me not to use the coated bullet on a compensated gun I got about 2k bullets so what's the verdict?  I've heard a lot about Precision Delta JHP, next time I will be ordering the right bullets but is it ok for now for me to use these coated bullets?  

Pros and cons, advice or suggestions?  Thanks~

For the price you guys get jacketed first I’d shoot those every day if the week.

But coated are fine as well. Spray some oil in your comp before shooting and clean it out with a dremel engraving took a couple of times a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try the Precisions, the coating is a lot different.  No smoke or lead fouling compared to typical Hitech coatings, same load otherwise.  My friend videoed me shooting both Precision and Brazos and its very obvious.  The coating seems to contain a moly lube that makes the barrel appear to be dirty but it wipes out super easy and the lands are clean. I never loaded them major but judging by minor performance I'd try it for sure.  

Precision warns not to use their bullets in compensated guns.  They get flame cut and lead the comp badly.  I'd suggest you sell the coated bullets you have and buy JHPs.  Your comp and your bullet feeder will appreciate it.  If you just have to use them, load them for minor and buy JHPs for major.

The only coated bullet maker that I'm aware of that doesn't hem and haw about using their bullets for Open is Eggleston Munitions.  Why bother?  For about the same price you can buy JHPs and be done with it.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

Precision warns not to use their bullets in compensated guns.  They get flame cut and lead the comp badly.  I'd suggest you sell the coated bullets you have and buy JHPs.  Your comp and your bullet feeder will appreciate it.  If you just have to use them, load them for minor and buy JHPs for major.

The only coated bullet maker that I'm aware of that doesn't hem and haw about using their bullets for Open is Eggleston Munitions.  Why bother?  For about the same price you can buy JHPs and be done with it.

I may just load them to use as minor loads and get the PDJHP instead for my comp gun~  

I’ve been using precision delta bullets for a long time. I think they are some of the best bullets out there. The price and free shipping is great, I’m not sponsored by them just my $.02 . 

Right now all I shoot is open, nothing wrong with coated bullets for the right application.

I just tried Precision Delta 115s.  They are not quite as accurate as the Hornady HAPs I had been using, but the difference is very small.  I just finished my first 2000.  I'll be ordering them again.  My only complaint is their packing.  It's built to withstand a nuclear blast, and it's a pain to open.

1 minute ago, zzt said:

I just tried Precision Delta 115s.  They are not quite as accurate as the Hornady HAPs I had been using, but the difference is very small.  I just finished my first 2000.  I'll be ordering them again.  My only complaint is their packing.  It's built to withstand a nuclear blast, and it's a pain to open.

Where are you buying the HAP from 

I've shot ~4000 rounds of blue bullets in my open gun without issue. There is a lot more smoke and maybe a little bit more carbon build up but no leading. I run MG 124gr JHPs for major matches, however.

I’ve put thousands of blue bullets through my open guns.  I don’t get any smoke.  I zeroed the new gun last week at 25 and the bullet holes were touching.  I’ve ran JHPs before. They both have the same amount of build up on the comp. the blue bullets are just a lot cheaper. Especially when you buy 10k at a time for the discount. 

KKM commander hybrid barrel

Akai titanium comp

125gr Blue Bullet TC

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2019 at 8:04 AM, GMP said:

Try the Precisions, the coating is a lot different.  No smoke or lead fouling compared to typical Hitech coatings, same load otherwise.  My friend videoed me shooting both Precision and Brazos and its very obvious.  The coating seems to contain a moly lube that makes the barrel appear to be dirty but it wipes out super easy and the lands are clean. I never loaded them major but judging by minor performance I'd try it for sure.  

Thanks~!  Have a link ?  I will google it but just in case... Thanks

On 11/3/2019 at 11:08 AM, Stickman301 said:

I’ve put thousands of blue bullets through my open guns.  I don’t get any smoke.  I zeroed the new gun last week at 25 and the bullet holes were touching.  I’ve ran JHPs before. They both have the same amount of build up on the comp. the blue bullets are just a lot cheaper. Especially when you buy 10k at a time for the discount. 

KKM commander hybrid barrel

Akai titanium comp

125gr Blue Bullet TC

I love Blue Bullets!  I used them exclusively for 9mm minor~ 

Why though? Precision Delta 124gn 9mm v2 rn JHP is .09c a bullet. Last I checked its .01c more then coated bullets. 

You can look for a thread I started a while ago with the idea I wasn't going to use anything but coated bullets. Once my girlfriend started shooting open only I quickly switched to the JHP bullets. I still have to clean the gun but the comp is way WAY more clean.