Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Phoenix trinity Honcho slide cuts?

Wiseguy724

Anyone know why the regular and race ready version do not have any slide ports/holes? It seems like a lot of other mfgs do that. In addition if there were some cuts, they could have popple holes in their comp'd barrels.

I don't know much about the platform, but that race ready kit they sell seems like a cool way to get into the platform with good options for both limited and open.

11 hours ago, Wiseguy724 said:

Anyone know why the regular and race ready version do not have any slide ports/holes? It seems like a lot of other mfgs do that. In addition if there were some cuts, they could have popple holes in their comp'd barrels.

I don't know much about the platform, but that race ready kit they sell seems like a cool way to get into the platform with good options for both limited and open.

The short and simple answer is because the Honcho doesn’t need them. It functions and balances great as is. Anytime you put holes in the slide you’re inviting more dirt and dust into the firearm. While potentially  jeopardizing the structural integrity of the slide.

13 hours ago, Wiseguy724 said:

The Honcho platform spent a lot of time in R&D. Slide weight, structural design, comp style, popple holes, etc... Everything was considered/tested/tried. 

"Through holes" in slides are not necessary, and it was the consensus of many shooters testing the platform that popple holes were not of benefit. 

On 10/14/2019 at 7:53 PM, Wiseguy724 said:

Popple holes rob the compensator of gas. Which is totally true in my experience. Some guys scrape the power factor floor with ammo when their guns would perform much better and shoot much tamer with more gas to the compensator. Sounds counter-intuitive. But its definitely not. 

22 hours ago, 2Alphamikenoshoot said:

Popple holes rob the compensator of gas. Which is totally true in my experience. Some guys scrape the power factor floor with ammo when their guns would perform much better and shoot much tamer with more gas to the compensator. Sounds counter-intuitive. But its definitely not. 

Thanks for the insight. I saw that atlas, akai , Infinity, and many others all used popple holes on open guns so I figured that was the hot setup. Just trying to learn more about the 2011/1911 in general, not sure If I wanted to leave the tanfoglio platform

53 minutes ago, Wiseguy724 said:

Thanks for the insight. I saw that atlas, akai , Infinity, and many others all used popple holes on open guns so I figured that was the hot setup. Just trying to learn more about the 2011/1911 in general, not sure If I wanted to leave the tanfoglio platform

Many many many many many many people have and love popple holes in there Open guns.

10 hours ago, Wiseguy724 said:

The great part about the Honcho is that it isn’t a 2011. It functions a little differently than traditional linked barrel guns. The result is that it shoots noticeably softer while not having to add extra powder to make power factor. Since we make nearly every part ourselves, in house, if popple holes were a benefit we would have included them. 

24 minutes ago, MVPFc said:

The great part about the Honcho is that it isn’t a 2011. It functions a little differently than traditional linked barrel guns. The result is that it shoots noticeably softer while not having to add extra powder to make power factor. Since we make nearly every part ourselves, in house, if popple holes were a benefit we would have included them. 

In your in-house testing, was there a preferred bullet weight/powder combination to produce the desired softness:phlatness ratio

2 hours ago, Balakay said:

In your in-house testing, was there a preferred bullet weight/powder combination to produce the desired softness:phlatness ratio

We worked with Steven from PD quite extensively. Their 40 and 9(minor) match packs work very well. Between us and our team, we have tested many, many different loads and found multiple options for each caliber/pf that work best with the Honcho. 

5 hours ago, Balakay said:

Bullet weight/velocity/powder is such a personal choice, that it is hard to say what was preferred. Many of the shooters that tested these guns chose loads that best suited their shooting style and/or preferences. However, the Honcho just seems to eat up recoil regardless of load nuances. 

13 hours ago, MVPFc said:

It's not a 2011?

54 minutes ago, farinx said:

It's not a 2011?

Wellllllllllll......Technically only a STI can be a 2011 these days, all others are referred to as high capacity double stack 1911s (or whatever play on words that builder comes up with) to avoid legal drama

Honcho an amazingly engineered variation for sure 

1 hour ago, farinx said:

It's not a 2011?

https://ptrinity.com/product/honcho-race-ready/

Recoil operation isn’t at all like a gun with a barrel link.

Flip through the photos. The barrel / frame interface works like most striker-fired guns do these days.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Hello: The Honcho uses weight of the slide and overall weight to tame some of the recoil also. If you like your pistols on the heavy side the Honcho may work for you. I am more of a fan of one pistol for one division. So if you are going to shoot Limited buy a limited pistol or for Open buy an Open pistol. That way as you grow as a shooter your likes and dislikes may change. Thanks, Eric

Also can't seem to find any videos of the honcho in .40 major limited division. Really hardly any videos outside the PT youtube channel, don't seem to be many out there. Would like to see some in person but I don't think that will be possible. Several guns from atlas and SVI at my local matches though.

2 hours ago, Wiseguy724 said:

Also can't seem to find any videos of the honcho in .40 major limited division. Really hardly any videos outside the PT youtube channel, don't seem to be many out there. Would like to see some in person but I don't think that will be possible. Several guns from atlas and SVI at my local matches though.

There were several Honchos at your state match recently. Steven Sanders and Wally Burbage both shoot limited in 40 and have videos on their social media pages.

On 10/22/2019 at 1:11 AM, MVPFc said:

There were several Honchos at your state match recently. Steven Sanders and Wally Burbage both shoot limited in 40 and have videos on their social media pages.

Thanks. I sent Steven a pm, if anyone has links to these pages let me know. I have no idea how to search/operate any social media, this forum is basically all I know, hah!

also sad to see the "in the white" option has disappeared from the finish selection in the race shop. The lighter finish really shows off the lines of the honcho.

Edited by Wiseguy724

On 10/21/2019 at 9:31 PM, Wiseguy724 said:

I don’t video my matches or stages very often, but here are a couple for your entertainment ;) 

• 2 months later...
On 10/20/2019 at 12:04 AM, Wiseguy724 said:

Does anyone have any load data for the honcho in .40 major? will it feed factory length? (1.125" oal)

Yes it will. I run a few boxes of federal 180gn factory loads through it with no issue until I got my press set back up in 40. Like all 2011’s they run well with a longer coal