Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open holsters

moparnut88

On 10/6/2019 at 8:27 PM, moparnut88 said:

Hi I've been running an older limcat holster for several years but am leary of being aggressive with it for fear of bumping it out. What holsters is everybody running? I tried a cr speed and didnt really like it. I had thought about adding a magnet to mine to add a little retention. Thnks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The only one I have experience with is the safariland 014. I really like it easy to use and I have been confident using it for the year now. I am going to try to get my hands on a few others, but for now I do recommend the safariland. Hope this helps.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the CR Speed is adjusted correctly it won’t need a magnet or anything else. I’ve seen too many dropped  pistols from other race holsters s like ghost or similar unsupported race rigs. CR Speed  locks up securely. It may not be for you but keep trying different rigs until you find something that works for you. 

Never used an Everglades. On CRS it’s a straight draw. You can not scoop it forward. It should be run vertically or close to it. 
Ok thnks. The only time my draw needs a slight scooping is on steel challenge I do a little bit different draw for that.

1 hour ago, coryf said:

Yes, that's the same holster as the current USA.   Thanks for posting the link.  

No, it isn't.  Neither the Universal or the Eveglades looks like that.  The only thing similar is the block.

11 hours ago, moparnut88 said:

On the Everglades holster can it be drawn straight forward or does it have draw vertical?

The first fraction of an inch should be straight up.  After that, no restriction.

Edited by zzt

The first fraction of an inch should be straight up.  After that, no restriction.
That's perfect! Sounds like I'm gonna be ordering an Everglades here soon! Sounds to be an excellent holster.

35 minutes ago, zzt said:

No, it isn't.  Neither the Universal or the Eveglades looks like that.  The only thing similar is the block.

They havent copied the gen II yet. Everglades is a copy of gen I SLB.

First ones were without magnets. I have all theree types.

2 hours ago, Kema said:

They havent copied the gen II yet. Everglades is a copy of gen I SLB.

Sorry.  My Everglade holster functions identically to the Universal Gen 2 in the video.  I think your info is out of date.

Fwiw, I use a Safariland for 2 1911 frames, and like it very much.  After initial set up to my preferences, it has been solid for a few years.  I do use it for sc open.

Also, I have a AA Racemaster for my Tanfo GT.  It took some "opening up" to get it to secure the pistol without "catching" on the draw.  Although I like it and it is cool, it does not hold set up as well as the Safariland.  AA requires some re-tightening after a time.

13 hours ago, zzt said:

Sorry.  My Everglade holster functions identically to the Universal Gen 2 in the video.  I think your info is out of date.

Nope Gen II changes were related to swivel hardware. Locking mechanism is identical between generations. Copy is a copy.

19 hours ago, zzt said:

What am I missing?  This is the current USA.  Looks pretty much the same?

IMG_5339 (1).jpg

Hello: I have tried most of the open holsters out there over the years. I am currently using a Safariland 014 which I like. I like having the muzzle support since it stops the pistol from flopping around if you miss your draw a little. The lock is not the easiest to set and the tension device is alright. I also like the hip pad since it make the holster sit in a good place for me when sitting or standing. Some of the other holsters I have tried have more adjustments than you would need and can come loose if you don't LocTite the screws. I would suggest you look at all your options in person before you buy. I am actually thinking of making a Kydex holster for my open pistol so I can use it for all the gun games. Thanks, Eric

Here's another vote for the Everglades MRH. I used the Ghost and Guga Rivas/Ernbefore the MRH. Ghost wasn't secure enough, and the GR hangar actually broke. GR is also bulky compared to others. One caveat I've read of on the MRH is that some stainless frames on 2011s may not hold to the magnets very well.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently just started shooting open with my cz czechmate using x alpha and its been working great. This weekend,  i managed to get a used custom 2011 with pt grips.  With the x alpha with PT insert, it gets stuck on the draw. Im pissed about it since i cant even do dryfire with it.  I have 2 friends that been shooting open for over 2 years and they are very happy with the everglades.  If things doesn't work with the x alpha, I'll be getting the Everglades. 

24 minutes ago, Joeyxbat said:

Currently just started shooting open with my cz czechmate using x alpha and its been working great. This weekend,  i managed to get a used custom 2011 with pt grips.  With the x alpha with PT insert, it gets stuck on the draw. Im pissed about it since i cant even do dryfire with it.  I have 2 friends that been shooting open for over 2 years and they are very happy with the everglades.  If things doesn't work with the x alpha, I'll be getting the Everglades. 

Just switch, you won't regret it.. You will become increasingly frustrated with the ALPHA X