Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home made targets

rock751

I shoot outdoors and use those corrugated plastic yard signs for backing and use paper plates or targets printed on 8.5x11 paper. I've also used a silouett target traced & cut out on a yard sign for a template, then spray painted around the edges on additional yard signs. Don't think I have pictures of those.b9dcc5b247269b2bfd3be14c9792861e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Depends on the type of target you want to make.  Personally I just purchase USPSA targets, pretty much the cheapest part of shooting, however if you want to make some here you go...

https://greatoutdoordinary.com/2018/05/04/how-to-make-cheap-uspsa-targets/
I made a USPSA target template out of foam core board. I get free cardboard from work. The guys in shipping save these scrap sections that are perfect for the targets I make. Takes me a few minutes to cut out 3 or 4. Just one thing less I have to buy.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

At any ICORE/IDPA/USPSA match you attend, once the tear-down is done there are usually a lot of shot up targets that they are going to burn, and they will often give them to you. There may be a lot of paster covered holes, and a few fresh ones from the last shooter, but they are usable. I take a razor knife and cut out the A/D-0 zone, flip the target on it's face, and then tape a piece of brown or white paper over the hole on the back of the target. There's no holes in that. Tape any on the front that remain, and you have a target.

The only holes that need pasting after you use them are those out of the A/D-0 zone. When the center gets too shot up, pull that piece of paper and replace it. I have some targets that have gone several hundred rounds on my backyard range before they hit my burn box. It's a real cheap way to practice on the same targets you'll see in a match.

I often save large pieces of cardboard and print some targets to staple on there.

Otherwise, I try to grab the targets after USPSA or 3 gun matches, the no shoots are usually still good.
This is what I did after yesterday's match. I took a few no shoots that were clean.

Paper plates the small ones about 6” diameter 

get good at hitting them and you have no problem with larger targets you just visualize a 6” plate where you want to hit 

I have also used various bits of junk mail folded/cut to squares. 

Business cards for upper A when the range doesn’t like human shaped targets  

Years ago I used to work retail and they had 4x6” shelf ad signs in various colors check and see if your local auto parts store uses them and at end of ad save them for ya. 

Ritz crackers(or cheaper store knockoff brand) for new/younger shooters is always fun as well 

I also cleanup after the match and get the less shot up targets both USPSA and those IPSC “Turtles” 

• 2 months later...

Got a large roll of brown wrapping paper. I have my old shot up cardboard stapled to my frame and just staple a covering of the paper and if I feel like it outline a ipsc target on it.

Since I've been training more I've been using throwaway targets from matches and taping alot lol

1 hour ago, Harpo said:

Help tear down after locals and scrounge targets that aren't too mangled - no-shoots and head box only ones tend to be in pretty good condition.

A'yup!  That's what I used to do.

I have never tried this before, but I thought it was pretty clever:

You get 10 internet points for figuring out what the little girl is actually doing in the background on your first time watching it.

I made a template of the target shape with the A zones cut out to trace with a sharpie. Slice the outside and then mark your A zones with 1 template. Got some cardboard from the warehouse where I work. Cut probably 50 in an hour. I will say IMO if you are training for USPSA, you should be using actual or replica Metric/Classic targets with proper A zones, for visual repetition's sake. 

A'yup!  That's what I used to do.

I have never tried this before, but I thought it was pretty clever:

You get 10 internet points for figuring out what the little girl is actually doing in the background on your first time watching it.

Now that's a cool idea. I make paper targets from a roll of newsprint and trace a silhouette on both sides. When I shoot up one side, I turn it over and shoot the other side. [emoji4]

I made this template out of foam core. The guys in our shipping department save me these nice pieces of cardboard that otherwise get thrown out. I trace the form out and then cut it out using a box cutter and straight edge. Takes me about 5 minutes to make one target.

I did this before I started shooting matches. Now I just take targets at the end of a match that aren't too bad. However, I still make them every now and then in a pinch.

c032e2199707f815ede712d366c563e6.jpg

10 hours ago, SkippySanchez said:

Now that's a cool idea. I make paper targets from a roll of newsprint and trace a silhouette on both sides. When I shoot up one side, I turn it over and shoot the other side. emoji4.png

I have plenty of 4 foot by 4 foot quarter inch thick MDF that I could cut a metric target  shape out of.  Then use that 3M spray adhesive to glue brown craft paper to it.  As it gets shot up in the middle, glue another sheet of kraft paper to it.

But that might entail lugging a cordless drill with me to the range to screw the MDF to the furring strips.  And I really don't want to have to lug any more stuff to the range.

My other idea was to take a virginal cardboad metric target, punch holes where the perfs are to basically turn it into a big stencil, and spray paint that target design onto brown kraft paper.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a couple of the ar500 steel targets that are the same size as the a/c zone. That way all I have to do is repaint them when I get finished shooting. I think you can buy some of these that actually have the zones outlined.these are the ones I have.

https://shootsteel.com/a-c-zone-3-8-ar550-ipsc-steel-target/

Also got some poppers for $50/piece from a guy that was moving and didn’t wanna take them. I need a larger better berm but I make do with what I have, and can shoot behind my house. I will say if you shoot steel and haven’t checked out steel target paint you definitely should, the stuff works great. 

3544CF49-88C7-4322-B17D-9090EB3A18C9.jpeg

1 hour ago, scduckman03 said:

I will say if you shoot steel and haven’t checked out steel target paint you definitely should, the stuff works great. 

what makes it better than any other rattle can paint?