Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Action shooting: Using shooting gloves and a hasty sling?

Hotchkiss

On 9/27/2019 at 9:28 PM, Hotchkiss said:

Hello;

Two things I have been wondering about in terms of shooting disciplines like Steel Challenge and Rimfire Challenge.

First; how long will it take for the wearing of "shooting gloves" to be the standard in those two disciplines and others like 3-Gun and USPSA?  I'm absolutely certain it's coming, and I'm curious how long it's going to take?  Also, what will it take for wearing gloves to be commonplace during a match?  The development of better gloves?  People using shooting gloves from a very young age?  Someone winning a big match (e.g. Bianchi) while wearing shooting gloves?  Maybe a bit of each and then some?

Second, I have long been curious if the use of a rifle sling -- perhaps n the manner of a "hasty sling", could be of value in action shooting?  Particularly in disciplines like Steel Challenge with no reloading?  I think the use of a sling potentially has merit -- even great merit.  I'm just not sure how to go about experimenting?

Thanks for any inputs.

My big question is Why would you want to wear gloves unless it is bitter cold?  Sling has possible merit but not legal in uspsa... 

2 hours ago, mlmiller1 said:

My big question is Why would you want to wear gloves unless it is bitter cold?  Sling has possible merit but not legal in uspsa... 

For rifle shooting, having a glove in at least one hand is nice for going prone in a hurry and shooting from "barricades" and windows.

I did not find anything in USPSA Rifle, shotgun and Multigun rules, prohibiting slings. There is 8.5.2, though, prohibiting the re-slinging of a rifle during a COF. I believe that prohibition has recently been removed from IPSC Rifle Rules.

On 9/29/2019 at 9:26 AM, Balakay said:

This is a minor-league level troll attempt. 

Stop whining.  I asked a legitimate question.  Some people responded with facts -- and I appreciate that..  Others like yourself whined in one manner or another.

1 hour ago, mlmiller1 said:

Perttime...Cool

Still why would a person want gloves unless bitter cold or for bianchi barricade?

I shot a 3Gun event last summer.  It was HOT -- over 110F.  Guns didn't have to be out in the sun for very long to heat up.  It would have been nice to have the right type of gloves.  Gloves that I was used to.

I've also shot 3Gun matches where you're constantly using your off hand to guide yourself while running or actually shooting.  Grabbing old splinterey fences along the way.  Once more, the right gloves would have been nice.

43 minutes ago, Hotchkiss said:

Stop whining.  I asked a legitimate question.  Some people responded with facts -- and I appreciate that..  Others like yourself whined in one manner or another.

not whining at all.  Just mocking your idea that was stupid in 2012, too.  What's with the glove fetish, tiny hands?

wondering if hotchkiss is in the business of manufacturing or selling gloves.... I can't think of any other reason to be so obsessed about this idea. I live in a cold climate, so if gloves didn't suck for pistol shooting, I would find some and wear them in the winter. unfortunately, they suck, so I use handwarmers inside my gloves and keep my metal-gripped gun inside my jacket until it's my time to shoot.

2 hours ago, Hotchkiss said:

I shot a 3Gun event last summer.  It was HOT -- over 110F.  Guns didn't have to be out in the sun for very long to heat up. 

Yep, been there done that.

I now carry a beach towel to cover my guns, works amazing without having to wear a glove....

Just now, Intheshaw1 said:

I now carry a beach towel to cover my guns, works amazing without having to wear a glove....

This is what I do as well, I can't stand wearing gloves while shooting.

11 hours ago, mlmiller1 said:

Perttime...Cool

Still why would a person want gloves unless bitter cold or for bianchi barricade?

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned going prone quickly in this thread, before. Somebody just added hot guns on a hot day.

(I also wear gloves while riding my bicycle. Going prone at 10 to 30 mph can bump your palm harder than going prone with a rifle.)

8 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

Neat -- except ranges where guns aren't allowed to be covered...

8 hours ago, motosapiens said:

wondering if hotchkiss is in the business of manufacturing or selling gloves.... I can't think of any other reason to be so obsessed about this idea. I live in a cold climate, so if gloves didn't suck for pistol shooting, I would find some and wear them in the winter. unfortunately, they suck, so I use handwarmers inside my gloves and keep my metal-gripped gun inside my jacket until it's my time to shoot.

Why the asinine and obsessive behavior on your part?  I'm just curious.  Your clearly had nothing to add to the conversation, so why not just skip over my posting?

On 9/28/2019 at 11:32 AM, Hotchkiss said:

The gloves are guaranteed.  That's for certain.  I suspect it will take a shooter who is very good who comes along and wins a bunch of matches before others will adopt their use en masse.

My question was when, and what it would take, not if their use would catch on.

Only if SWAT operators take over the shooting sports.  With a 1.5 pound trigger, the last thing I would want is a glove on my hand.  Sure, it would help grip the pistol with sweaty hands, but thats about it.

On 9/28/2019 at 5:10 PM, Hotchkiss said:

Over the last few decades I have seen glove use become more commonplace in all sorts of activities.  From baseball and football players, to soldiers, to mechanics/techs and yes, even shooters.  

I wore batting gloves playing baseball in 1970!

On 9/27/2019 at 9:43 PM, broadside72 said:

I have only seen one person use shooting gloves in USPSA (she was a new to USPSA shooter at her first match) and never once in SCSA. I'll about I've only got about 2 years of matches under my belt but still.

I have not seen anyone use a sling either, even though it appears to be legal in PCC.

I have seen a couple of people use a sling in in steel challenge and action shooting (carbine and PCCs).  I don't know how effective it is (I shoot pistol only), but they were good shooters.

Gloves. I have only seen my wife use shooting gloves, and she doesn't shoot matches. Now this is central Texas, so keep in mind.  In the 3.5 hours where it is less than boiling, people will wear gloves, but take them off when it is their turn on the line.

I have worn $1 mittens while shooting at an outdoor range, but thats about it. For the reasons given, they are problematic.

Edited by Zincwarrior

8 hours ago, Hotchkiss said:

Why the asinine and obsessive behavior on your part?  I'm just curious.  Your clearly had nothing to add to the conversation, so why not just skip over my posting?

what a rude post... I'm sorry if it offends you that I tried using gloves and found them to suck.