Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Hotchkiss

Action shooting: Using shooting gloves and a hasty sling?

Hello;

Two things I have been wondering about in terms of shooting disciplines like Steel Challenge and Rimfire Challenge.

First; how long will it take for the wearing of "shooting gloves" to be the standard in those two disciplines and others like 3-Gun and USPSA?  I'm absolutely certain it's coming, and I'm curious how long it's going to take?  Also, what will it take for wearing gloves to be commonplace during a match?  The development of better gloves?  People using shooting gloves from a very young age?  Someone winning a big match (e.g. Bianchi) while wearing shooting gloves?  Maybe a bit of each and then some?

Second, I have long been curious if the use of a rifle sling -- perhaps n the manner of a "hasty sling", could be of value in action shooting?  Particularly in disciplines like Steel Challenge with no reloading?  I think the use of a sling potentially has merit -- even great merit.  I'm just not sure how to go about experimenting?

Thanks for any inputs.

I have only seen one person use shooting gloves in USPSA (she was a new to USPSA shooter at her first match) and never once in SCSA. I'll about I've only got about 2 years of matches under my belt but still.

I have not seen anyone use a sling either, even though it appears to be legal in PCC.

In bianchi you normally see guys use them on the barricade event espessially in divisions other than open because you are pushing your knuckles into the barricade for support. Other than that they provide no advantage and many disadvantages.

But gloves and slings are easy to test for your self. Go to the range run a drill several times with and without and do what scores better

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure that any shooter with any experience or accomplishment in action shooting would be equally certain that they would never, ever shoot with gloves on. Unless it was bitterly cold out.
Our hands are our only interface with an object we are trying to control with precision, adding gloves will only reduce the control and feel.

The gloves are guaranteed.  That's for certain.  I suspect it will take a shooter who is very good who comes along and wins a bunch of matches before others will adopt their use en masse.

My question was when, and what it would take, not if their use would catch on.

Edited by Hotchkiss

Ok, you must be trolling because this is so ridiculous. But if you are serious, the answer is that in 2023, Old Navy will release a pair of polar fleece mittens. On a cold January morning, KC Eusebio will inexplicably forget to remove his mittens before shooting a steel challenge match and will proceed to set all new HHF. Thus will begin the revolution.

Sure you could find a GM and pay them to wear your product.  Or offer an incentive program... Might sell a few.  wouldnt catch on though,, and so many gloves out there, anyone wants to try them would probably start with some carpenter gloves readily available..

Edited by Joe4d

2 hours ago, Hotchkiss said:

The gloves are guaranteed.  That's for certain.  I suspect it will take a shooter who is very good who comes along and wins a bunch of matches before others will adopt their use en masse.

They’re a disadvantage. 

Unless you happen to work for the company vending said gloves.

Which it seems like you do.

Wow!  I wonder what triggered all the rude/whiny responses?  Psychological projection of some kind, or just plain narcissism I suppose?

Over the last few decades I have seen glove use become more commonplace in all sorts of activities.  From baseball and football players, to soldiers, to mechanics/techs and yes, even shooters.  I was just curious when (not if) they'll become common in different types of action shooting, and what it will take?  I clearly picked the wrong place to ask!

BE's forum used to be pretty much free of rudeness -- a real rarity for a gun-related website.  When exactly did that change?

4 hours ago, Hotchkiss said:

You seem to have all the answers. Not sure what you are looking for here. My guess you are looking for people to agree with you to push your own agenda, whatever that is. Shooting gloves have been around for a long time and it is a personal preference. You will find most competitive shooters here will not shoot with gloves. However, I do use fingerless gloves to shoot long range rifle competitions, if that makes you feel better.

The heart of this is your insistence on "when, not if". No one agrees with you that gloves will be popular. Nationals for Limited and carry optics is wrapping up right now. I'm betting not a single person in the match B class or higher is wearing gloves.
Mechanics, baseball players, football players and soldiers all wear gloves for reasons that dont apply to shooting pistols accurately and fast.

As a mechanic, I wear gloves when I HAVE to. They, no matter how thin you try to make them, always take away from dexterity and sensitivity, which in some cases are required to install bolts blindly. I wear them when I use impacts, when I'm rigging heavy loads, moving objects around, etc...that's about it. Increased glove use in industrial situations is mostly due to mandates from OSHA, BSEE, company safety policies, etc.

As a shooter, I never want anything to get between the interface of gun & hands. It takes away sensitivity of the finger tip, even properly fitted gloves allow hands to slip in them, and they're inconvenient to take on and off. This isn't baseball (where guys are too whiny about tar on the hands) or football (where they add stickum to their gloves), it's not an industrial endeavor. And no, there is not an upswing of gloves in shooting. I see fewer and fewer each year.

You must be a very sensitive individual to try to find psychological excuses as to why you're a victim here and that it's not ok for people to disagree with you or your assessments. Almost every single person has disagreed with you, perhaps you're wrong not everyone else.

I dont know what mechanics you are around but I work on cranes for a living. I have ome pair of gloves. A pair of the mechanics wear all leather fabricators gloves. Just about the only time I wear them is welding, heavy grinding, torching, and using cables. That's it. The rest of the time i dont even think about them. Oh and I guess when its winter in MI and I'm working outside. But that's a different beast. 

As for shooting with them, only time I wore them was durring a CQB class while in the Navy (security forces on a aircraft carrier). We were forced to wear them. 

I have seen one shooter try using gloves so far. He was having an awful time getting a solid grip due to sweating heavily, so he tried a glove on his non-trigger hand. It didn't seem to help. 

This is a minor-league level troll attempt. 

46 minutes ago, Balakay said:

This is a minor-league level troll attempt. 

I don't know. I finally had time to sit down and look over his profile. Hotchkiss's efforts go way back, we're talking years. Impressive. His threads are entertaining though. Prior subjects include how to avoid hot brass and whether to keep both eyes open during handgun usage. It usually involved him trying to prove his own point by arguing with people who were just trying to help and moderators to finally put down the foot. 

Some funny schtufff. 

10 minutes ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

I don't know. I finally had time to sit down and look over his profile. Hotchkiss's efforts go way back, we're talking years. Impressive. His threads are entertaining though. Prior subjects include how to avoid hot brass and whether to keep both eyes open during handgun usage. It usually involved him trying to prove his own point by arguing with people who were just trying to help and moderators to finally put down the foot. 

Some funny schtufff. 

glove fetish goes back at least 7 years

Shooting a rifle, I'd quite likely prefer to wear at least one glove for going prone in a hurry. Barricades possibly too. Pistol? Highly unlikely.

IPSC Rifle World Shoot 2019 - Shoot-Off: Many, especially those going prone, use a glove on the support hand.

Edited by perttime

On 9/28/2019 at 2:10 PM, Hotchkiss said:

Wow!  I wonder what triggered all the rude/whiny responses?  Psychological projection of some kind, or just plain narcissism I suppose?

Over the last few decades I have seen glove use become more commonplace in all sorts of activities.  From baseball and football players, to soldiers, to mechanics/techs and yes, even shooters.  I was just curious when (not if) they'll become common in different types of action shooting, and what it will take?  I clearly picked the wrong place to ask!

BE's forum used to be pretty much free of rudeness -- a real rarity for a gun-related website.  When exactly did that change?

well you also posted in the beginner  forum so the original reply's were assuming you were new to action shooting and had seen some old Bianchi videos and assumed that was the cutting edge. people started to answer you less kindly when it became obvious that was not the case.

We shoot rifle and shotgun during winter so a lot of us wear gloves for that.

I saw a guy wear gloves at a pistol match this summer and thought I'd try it myself but after just picking up the pistol the feel was way too different for me to like it.

What would have to be done for it to become popular? Create a glove that is thin enough to get close to the same feel of no gloves AND are warm enough to use in cold weather (at or below 14 degrees fahrenheit) and I'd be interested in picking some up for winter training. For summer matches they'd have to offer some kind of advantage (superior grip) over going gloveless and I just can't see how that could be done.

I was at a local gssf match and saw a guy wearing golf gloves. Seems like a possibility but a small one at that.

the only time I've worn gloves shooting was when I was in the army training and some officer told us we had to wear them, otherwise I hate wearing gloves.

I tried using gloves at a Pro-Am steel match last winter. It didn’t work out so well.

I knew it was going to be cold at the match so I experimented with different thin gloves beforehand. Did some dry firing, then live firing, then more dry firing. Settled on a pair I thought would be okay.

On match day it was cold and I was glad I had the gloves. But on the first stage, after the draw, the first shot went off a little early as I was extending the gun to engage the target. And each time after a reload or moving to a new shooting position the same thing happened. Very disconcerting. It seems that when I was on the clock muscle memory kicked in and, despite all my practice before the match, whenever I inserted my gloved finger into the trigger guard there was just enough extra pressure to touch off the 2 lb. trigger on my 1911 before I wanted it. After that first stage I removed the gloves while shooting, kept my hands warm between stages, and all was well.