Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noob USPSA Question

Snausages32

Hey guys,

I've been doing 3 Gun for a couple years, and have been tinkering with the idea of doing USPSA in Production. 

Noob question:   

• Each magazine must be contained individually within the magazine pouch

Does this mean that I'm going to need 4 or 5 pouches, or can I use the Uncle Mikes double pouches that I've been using?  1 mag per holder, or can I use doubles?

Thanks!

You can use doubles but your not going to want to if you take it seriously at all. 

I have 5 mag pouches on my belt when I shoot production. 2 or 3 when I shoot limited

Edited by Kraj

18 minutes ago, Kraj said:

You can use doubles but your not going to want to if you take it seriously at all. 

I have 5 mag pouches on my belt when I shoot production. 2 or 3 when I shoot limited

Just because I don't know, why?  What's the difference if I have 2 side by side (x2) vs 4/5 singles all further spaced apart?

Just now, Snausages32 said:

Just because I don't know, why?  What's the difference if I have 2 side by side (x2) vs 4/5 singles all further spaced apart?

Individual pouches give you more freedom to fine tune the angle and placement of each magazine. Also, many cheaper double pouches don’t let you adjust the tension on each pouch separately, which usually means that one mag is either too tight or too loose if the other is perfect.  

If you already have the doubles, they’re fine to get you started. 

Also when you're in a hurry having the extra space of singles reduces the chance of pulling two mags. One in your hand and one on the ground 

The equal spacing of single pouches can be easier to learn versus close far close far close of double pouch  pairs

Edited by rowdyb

18 minutes ago, HoMiE said:

Sending an email does not make it legal. But who cares at this point with all the other rule changes. Does not look like a competitive advantage anyway. 

While you're not wrong, there's a lot of shooters out there with emails printed off in their range bags.  

Since you mention Uncle Mikes but not if they are the kydex or fabric ones, if they have a flap/retention attached at the Standby command, you need to use it. Rule 5.2.5.3

But yes you can use the doubles in Production since the pouch itself holds the mags individually

With crapper Uncle Mike's Kydex holster, and crapper Uncle Mike's double mag pouches, I made A class in single stack. I did have the damn mags fly out at a major match though once, I stopped hard and my mags kept going. In other words they'll be fine for a little while, but you will probably want to upgrade eventually. And you can always find that use for them way around back for starter mags and oh s*** Mags

been awhile since I shot L in HI a ten round land, and then full limited in VA, but the angle adjustment advantage gets minimized as you get farther back around your waste.
I shot basically L10 with 2 singles that were angle adjustable, then a double, ( Bianchi IIRC) kinda hard canvas double that was easy to adjust.
For limited I shot a couple years with a single CR speed adjustable in the front middle, then the double bianchi, closer to my midline.  I also shot some IDPA so that midline placement with the double worked for that as well.
In limited I had a 19 round front, then another 19 then my barny... really if you are reloading twice in limited your run is fubar'ed anyways.
For production, all your mags have to start at 9, kinda 10 oclock, Id  probably keep your double for the back, then pick up a couple adjustable singles for the front 2..

• 11 months later...
On 8/29/2019 at 7:37 AM, Snausages32 said:

They're the kydex Uncle Mikes doubles.  They've been angled fairly nicely and I've never had an issue with one falling out in 3 Gun.  Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it!

20190829_083312.thumb.jpg.7f05c1d406541040a3de1862a91d4e1f.jpg

Speaking for use and not legality, those should be fine initially.  If you enjoy USPSA and Production you will likely switch to individual mag holders because they are faster.

As a side note it took a minute to realize the other things were shotgun shell carriers or something. At first I was like, does this guy carry ninja claws on his belt? :)

I used 2 double kydex, a standard kydex belt holser and my leather belt when i started in production.  After a month and a half I quickly bought ghost pouches and a DAA belt.  Well worth the $150.

Edited by 18111811