Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TacSol X-Ring 10/22 Muzzle Brake

427Cobra

I bought a Tactical Solutions X-Ring 10/22 yesterday, I put a Vortex Razor 3moa red dot on it(I had it laying around a bigger dot is in the future), trigger is being replaced with a Kidd, the stock with a PMACA, my question is about muzzle brakes, what brake is recommended. 

Good afternoon 427 Cobra.

2 questions.

1 - why did you need to change out the trigger?? I got a TS the same as yours, I thing, made in 2013, I got it used, its freaking amazing. the trigger is very nice on mine.

2 - why would you need a muzzle break?? when I sighted mine in a few weeks ago, it did not move.

Thank you for your time.

Russell, Canadian

1 hour ago, JRB said:

2 questions.

1 - why did you need to change out the trigger?? I got a TS the same as yours, I thing, made in 2013, I got it used, its freaking amazing. the trigger is very nice on mine.

2 - why would you need a muzzle break?? when I sighted mine in a few weeks ago, it did not move.

Thank you for your time.

Russell, Canadian 

Mine came with a stock Ruger BX trigger, not a TS one, I took it apart today and stoned on the hammer and sear, and relieved a little material on the trigger housing, creep is almost gone only took a pound off the pull, as far as a MB goes I noticed almost all the people shooting SC with 10/22 have a MB, so it must make a difference of some sort. 

1 hour ago, JRB said:

2 questions.

Thank you for your time.

Russell, Canadian

1. The Kidd triggers have a better, lighter break and extremely quick, short reset.

2. The muzzle brake on a rifle is primarily a muzzle loudener!  With a brake, the timer is much less likely to miss the last shot if the RO is holding it out of position.

Second vote for the Allchin muzzle brake https://allchingunparts.com/products/22-rim-fire-rifle-compensator.html

22_Rim-Fire_Rifle_Compensator_-_Allchin_

Nolan

39 minutes ago, Nolan said:

1. The Kidd triggers have a better, lighter break and extremely quick, short reset.

2. The muzzle brake on a rifle is primarily a muzzle loudener!  With a brake, the timer is much less likely to miss the last shot if the RO is holding it out of position.

Second vote for the Allchin muzzle brake https://allchingunparts.com/products/22-rim-fire-rifle-compensator.html

22_Rim-Fire_Rifle_Compensator_-_Allchin_

Nolan

This. All three. :)

13 hours ago, Nolan said:

Even if the RO is holding the timer in the correct position, especially CED 7000 timers.  Competitors use them because they don't want reshoots.  The worst is rifles shooting Standard Velocity and no brake.  With some timers you have to hold the timer out in front of the shooter to pick up the shots.  Most learn in a hurry, so I rarely see anything slower than AR Tactical (1200fps).

6 hours ago, zzt said:

Even if the RO is holding the timer in the correct position, especially CED 7000 timers.  Competitors use them because they don't want reshoots.  The worst is rifles shooting Standard Velocity and no brake.  With some timers you have to hold the timer out in front of the shooter to pick up the shots.  Most learn in a hurry, so I rarely see anything slower than AR Tactical (1200fps).

I saw this happen with a CED timer last weekend.  It failed to pick up a shooter in my squad 3 strings in a row. There wasn't a comp on that rifle. 

• 2 weeks later...

I stuck an old Rainier Arms Mini-Comp that I had lying around on my Tacsol AR22 upper.  It works great and the timer hears it every time.  I wanted another but they're out of production now.  Rainier should bring them back and market them for .22's and rimfire games. 

mini comp.jpg

The Alchin seems to work best with timers and my X-ring

Be careful of the Kidd trigger and X-ring.  The single stage in particular does not work well.  It is a great rifle, and a great trigger but there is a geometry mismatch between the two.  Check out the triggers from Power River Precision or use a Volquartsen

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2019 at 5:05 PM, bradhe said:

The Alchin seems to work best with timers and my X-ring

Be careful of the Kidd trigger and X-ring.  The single stage in particular does not work well.  It is a great rifle, and a great trigger but there is a geometry mismatch between the two.  Check out the triggers from Power River Precision or use a Volquartsen

Is this a known issue?  Have many others had this problem?  I just ordered a Kidd trigger for my X-Ring receiver

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:42 AM, zzt said:

The new AMG Labs timer eliminates the need for any muzzle brake or "loudner", it picks up rifles with SV ammo and no brake just fine. No need for the extra weight on the barrel or to have to clean anything. I also tested out my rifle with HV ammo and a suppressor and it worked just fine.

2 hours ago, Gregg K said:

The new AMG Labs timer eliminates the need for any muzzle brake or "loudner", it picks up rifles with SV ammo and no brake just fine. No need for the extra weight on the barrel or to have to clean anything. I also tested out my rifle with HV ammo and a suppressor and it worked just fine.

None of the clubs I shoot at is AMG timers.  Mine will pick up a dry fire hammer fall.

9 hours ago, zzt said:

None of the clubs I shoot at is AMG timers.  Mine will pick up a dry fire hammer fall.

I just bring one of mine. One of the clubs I shoot at decided to buy new AMG timers for each of their bays after seeing how good they work. Plus, being able to just Bluetooth the time to the tablets is a cool feature. I have not had anyone voice any concern about using my timer to score our squad plus I usually end up running a good portion of the shooters on my squad so I get a vote there too. I run a monthly match and bought new tablets and AMG timers for each bay. I pair a timer to a tablet to be able to Bluetooth the time to the tablet. The combination is making my life running the match much easier.