Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftec extraction problem

t0066jh

After a year of use I'm having intermittent extractor problems.  My Open gun has been running fine until the last 2 weeks.  On two of 4 stages, I had a failure to fully extract a spent cartridge resulting in a jam.  So, I removed the Aftec and scrubbed it clean.  It had both springs in it so I put them both back in.  Same problem occurred the next match.  2 of 4 stages had the same failure.  2 different magazines were used in both of the incidents.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

After a period of time i actually had to bed a aftec to add more tension, even with new springs it was doing exactly as you are describing .

Atlas has a vid someplace on doing it.  

It does take putting it in a vice and taping with a hammer. Sounds barbaric i know but i tried the the tool made to adjust regular extractors and it did nothing, tried wedging it and applying pressure in the vise, no dice but tap with a hammer did it .

It did not take much when i did bend it, i am talking could just see it move slightly and has been normal since.

If you have not tried new springs might do that 1st before trying to bend it.

1 hour ago, Harleyhater said:

I had this very thing happen with my aftec.  Needless to say I was upset.  I switched to a standard 9mm extractor in my open gun.  After a SMALL amount of tuning it's been running for 2 years without any issue.  Cheap and easy solution.  

I don’t know, aftecs are a pretty tried and true design that are generally trouble free. I hear more about them chipping at the tip than anything but that’s not typical either.

My gun quit extracting last month and my spring cap basically disintegrated but it was 5 years old. Put a new one in with new springs and that thing is TIGHT.

• 1 month later...

I had a Limited 40sw a few years back that ran like yours.  So I took the Aftec out compressed both springs

using my dial calipers and that did not work either.  So I then decided to run only one spring instead of two.

I do not remember which one worked, but by using only one spring it ran great.  I would suggest you try using

one spring and see how that works.  I'm just guessing, but I think I put the one spring in the front hole.

It's the only gun that I've ever had that would only run with one spring.......

One other issue with an Aftec is the hook end sometimes hits the barrel; but you can tell that by checking the

back end of the barrel or by having the gun together and use a good flashlight and look at the hook end and

barrel and see if the hook is touching the barrel.......

Measure the length of the two springs. If they are worn out replace them and see if the gun extracts. The aftec has been around for quite some time and is a proven extractor. Was the initial installation correct?

• 4 weeks later...

i am not a fan of these and neither is my pistol smith... can't go wrong with a traditional one, i say ditch the aftec and never look back... its just one more thing you have  to worry about replacing the springs on or some other thing to beat into submission trying to get it to run.  get an ed browning or wilson extractor and call it a day.  you can tune them your self if you get the powercustom jig and have a pull tester.  

10 hours ago, Blurryvisions said:

i am not a fan of these and neither is my pistol smith... can't go wrong with a traditional one, i say ditch the aftec and never look back... its just one more thing you have  to worry about replacing the springs on or some other thing to beat into submission trying to get it to run.  get an ed browning or wilson extractor and call it a day.  you can tune them your self if you get the powercustom jig and have a pull tester.  

Aftecs are a great part, and there are far fewer failures and issues with those than with stock extractors.  I've used dozens of Aftecs since they came on the market and never had an issue with a single one.  They do have to be set up correctly, but so does any part on a custom built gun.  After that, they're typically trouble free and 100% reliable.  Regarding the stock extractors, it doesn't take a jig or pull tester to set one up.  You can do it by hand and feel in about 30 seconds.

9 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Aftecs are a great part, and there are far fewer failures and issues with those than with stock extractors.  I've used dozens of Aftecs since they came on the market and never had an issue with a single one.  They do have to be set up correctly, but so does any part on a custom built gun.  After that, they're typically trouble free and 100% reliable.  Regarding the stock extractors, it doesn't take a jig or pull tester to set one up.  You can do it by hand and feel in about 30 seconds.

That is not my experience. I've given Aftec's a fair shot over the last 3 years in multiple guns. While I like the Aftec concept, more parts to do the same thing, has equaled more points of failure... at a higher price. I've had a couple springs break, the ears off the cups break (3 cups replaced so far) and the extractor itself crack. When the little stuff breaks off in the extractor tunnel, it has bound extractor movement and induced gun malfunctions (depending which side of extractor it wedges).

Initially, I thought that the broken cups were my fault from installation. I learned early to use the appropriate small size hex wrench to guide into extractor tunnel to prevent chance of this. They still break in the gun while using. This is my experience even with detail cleaning the top end at least every month. They work great when they work, just too many failures in my experience.

While replacing these in my guns last week with EGW's, I found a new crack forming just forward of the spring cup on the Aftec that was in my backup gun. This takes my cracked extractor count to 3. 

KISS.

Hello: The new Aftec extractors are not the same as the old ones. I have some that are 10 years old or older and they look different than the new ones. I have also seen some of the new ones break and the spring retainer break as well. I have been using EGW and Ed Brown extractors in my last builds. They all need to be fitted and tuned, even the Aftec. Thanks, Eric