Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Division

AikiDale

SANY0002.jpg

Springfield Trophy match in .40. Tripp Research System mags with custom anti tilt followers. FO front sight, dawson ice magwell, SVI long flat trigger, EGW raised Mag release, VZ Diamond back grips done by Bobby Keigans.

Hey Corey,

Tell me more about the "custom anti tilt followers"

Thanks!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SANY0002.jpg

Springfield Trophy match in .40. Tripp Research System mags with custom anti tilt followers. FO front sight, dawson ice magwell, SVI long flat trigger, EGW raised Mag release, VZ Diamond back grips done by Bobby Keigans.

Hey Corey,

Tell me more about the "custom anti tilt followers"

Thanks!

Oh thats gonna cost ya....PM so as to not high jack.

i'm new to competitve shooting, but i've got a s/a loaded that i'm running straight out of the box, at least for now. I'll wait till it's broken in and i've had more time to educate myself before I start any mods.

Hi Hardway, welcome to the club. I, too, have a SA Loaded and I love. Regarding the mods, some guns seem to run better when you leave them alone... :ph34r:

I'll agree. sometimes you need to know when to leave well enough alone.

• 3 weeks later...

I shoot this Kimber, worked on by Mike Cyrwus. It runs like a champ. I love the older Kimbers, and while this one has had just about every part replaced on it, most of my others are bone stock, and I would have no qualms about taking them to a major match and running them.

blackkimber3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

P1030247.jpg

P1030249.jpg

Nothing too fancy, just my ccw 1911. going to be adding a few "extras" this winter-beavertail GS, remove ambi safety for single side (personal preference), and possibly an S&A magwell. I dont want to get too carried away with parts/mods as it is going to double as a CCW gun as well as a comp gun.

• 5 weeks later...
Now that we have discussed ad nauseum the philosophical implications of its existence...
I've done a search and looked through many of the threads returned, yet cannot find the referenced discussion. I wonder if someone has it handy. Anyway, I'm curious as hell because the division is puzzling in that it seems to be the only one restricted to a specific design. One has to wonder what the motivation is for that. It's easy to single why a division might be restricted to single stack, but not so easy for me to see why it would be restricted to 1911. It's also totally unclear to me what constitutes '1911', exactly. Does my barrel need to be rotated out of lock with a link, does it need to have a half-cock safety, and does it have to have a grip tang safety to qualify?

The division is here, and I think that's great. I'm not complaining about it or questioning its validity. I'd like to understand what the intent was, and/or what you THINK the intent was...that's all.

I think it's a bit weird because it seems to be out of place...in the sense that no other division, as far as I know, is restricted based on any weapon design so specific (or so arbitrary, depending on your point of view). It raises the same question for me that is raised on the IDPA side when folks ask for a 'carry' or 'bug' division. There, folks are asking for a division that would be the only one in the Association based on some arbitrarily-defined use of the weapon. What's most interesting there, to me, is the argument over whether it would be a 'back up gun' division or a 'carry' division...in a sport where ALL legal guns are supposed to be carry-able guns, philosophically.

Anyway, if anyone cares to help navigate me to the discussion, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Edited by Bongo Boy

I think the intent was to "return to the roots of IPSC" with the Single Stack division. Back in the 80's, and early 90's, 1911's in .45 and 38 Super were the ONLY game in town, before the 2011s and CZ/TS platform showed up. The 1911 is one of the most popular handguns ever designed, but with the advent of double stack guns in Open and Limited, and 9mm polymer guns ruling the roost in Production, it did not have a division to shoot in until SS was created.

Sometimes I shoot this in SS but it's a pain putting on my old non-Velcro all leather rig. If some money comes through and one of them is still available in the classifieds, I'd like to shoot something along the lines of pics 2/3.

post-5998-1263692748_thumb.jpg

post-5998-1263693049_thumb.jpg

post-5998-1263693073_thumb.jpg

Why do you have to shoot a non velcro all leather rig?

'Cause it's the only one I've got that's legal for SS. The other two are the high speed-low drag Velcro (CR Speed) belts with a Gugas and Versa- pouches for the Paras and a Safariland 012 and 771's/773's for the single stack .40 I use for L-10. If I get serious about SS I'll probably get a dedicated plastic rig. Or figure out how to Velcro my Ted Blocker belt.

Why do you have to shoot a non velcro all leather rig?

'Cause it's the only one I've got that's legal for SS. The other two are the high speed-low drag Velcro (CR Speed) belts with a Gugas and Versa- pouches for the Paras and a Safariland 012 and 771's/773's for the single stack .40 I use for L-10. If I get serious about SS I'll probably get a dedicated plastic rig. Or figure out how to Velcro my Ted Blocker belt.

pretty sure you can use the CR Speed belt, just need a holster that holds the gun high enough (front strap above the belt) and mag pouches worn behind the hip

Sometimes I shoot this in SS but it's a pain putting on my old non-Velcro all leather rig. If some money comes through and one of them is still available in the classifieds, I'd like to shoot something along the lines of pics 2/3.
Just sent that nice old pistol to me, I have a rig for it.-----------Larry

Glad to see another shooter running a Norinco Model of the 1911 :blush: Mine has been a project pistol for a smith and runs pretty good, being fed with Kimber Kim-Pro mags and carried in either a Blackhawk Serpa or a homemade Yaqui Slide on whatever belt I happen to grab. The only thing now is to upgrade the sights from what they are to something more visible :blink:

• 4 months later...

I shoot the Taurus 1911 and have had not problems at all. Love it. everyone I have ever shot with is suprised that I would shoot with it. But it shot better than I do thats for sure.