Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Legion Mag Release

Robertwil18

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2019 at 1:34 PM, hiflyer51 said:

The  springer precision paddle style  mag release is awesome 👍

I have been searching for two days but have found no clear answer....

Is this new paddle style mag release legal for Production (Carry Optics)??? Is the plain strait extended one they also make legal?

What should I consider when deciding weather to get the regular extended mag release, or the special one with the paddle. They are about the same price if you go with the steel extended release. Do they both equally increase the likelihood of a mag being released during a table start? Any other notable differences?

I use the regular extended mag release and have no problem getting to it with my thumb, but people with smaller hands have said that it's an issue for them so they go with the paddle.  Both styles of release use the factory spring and retainer, so I would think that the table start issue is the same. That being said, I've never had this table start issue although I have heard of it from others.

I have the one with the extended button on it. Love it except for loaded table starts. I haven’t perfected what technique I’m gonna use yet. It probably doesn’t help that I have the TXG grip. Right now I just grab it like the claw that picks up stuff animals in the machines at the supermarket. 

I have pretty medium size hands. I checked all of my other competition guns and I have to do the little flip to rotate the gun a bit to reach the release, and it hasn't held me back much. I would still think having a little less of a reach wouldn't hurt, so I may give the one with the paddle a try if it really is production / carry optics legal.

Can someone point me to documented proof of this in case I am challenged at a match, I didn't see it in the production annex section.

As for table starts I was trained years ago, to first get your weak hand finger tips under the rear of the slide to start lifting it up, so you can get a good grip on the gun with your strong hand. This should logically eliminate the problem of the magazine being released at the same time...

21.6 Exchange of minor EXTERNAL components Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, pins, extractors, magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties, triggers, hammers, bushings, and ejectors MAY be replaced with OFM or aftermarket parts. Exchange of OFM parts between different models of Production approved guns is allowed.

• 2 weeks later...

So I went with the extended paddle release for my Legion, and found out a few things. First, when swapping releases, the key to removal I found is not to use too large of a tool, it must be considerably smaller than the size of the hole, so that you can depress the detent, then pivot your tool slightly to make the detent start coming out of the release.

At my first match with the gun and the new release, I found it made weak hand only shooting kind of strange, the paddle was right against the webbing of my weak hand , it didn't release unwantedly, but it made it very challenging to get a good  high grip for weak hand only. Lastly, by the end of the match, (4 stages) I noticed the paddle had become loose from the release button itself! The paddle is advertised as being permanently attached, so I will have to contact Springer Precision and see what they want me to do. I'm wondering if given the chance, if I should just switch back over to the standard extended version in place of the one with the paddle...

11 hours ago, EngineerEli said:

So I went with the extended paddle release for my Legion, and found out a few things. First, when swapping releases, the key to removal I found is not to use too large of a tool, it must be considerably smaller than the size of the hole, so that you can depress the detent, then pivot your tool slightly to make the detent start coming out of the release.

At my first match with the gun and the new release, I found it made weak hand only shooting kind of strange, the paddle was right against the webbing of my weak hand , it didn't release unwantedly, but it made it very challenging to get a good  high grip for weak hand only. Lastly, by the end of the match, (4 stages) I noticed the paddle had become loose from the release button itself! The paddle is advertised as being permanently attached, so I will have to contact Springer Precision and see what they want me to do. I'm wondering if given the chance, if I should just switch back over to the standard extended version in place of the one with the paddle...

I was looking to pick up the Springer paddle, let us know what they say about it getting loose. 

18 hours ago, ClangClang said:

Anyone try the regular extended release and then decide they still needed the extra length of the paddle? I'm looking to try the standard profile extended version. Figure it's worth checking here before ordering direct.

PM’ed you

I ended up reaching out to  Springer Precision, they were prompt to respond, and sent me out a replacement no questions asked. The new one seems good to go for now, I have a match Wednesday to put it to the test. The one I took off, that came loose, looked like there was no thread locker on the threads, so maybe they just missed it on one piece or something...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...