Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Legion Mag Release

Robertwil18

I am beginning to despise the design of the P320 mag release, especially on the Legion.  I watched 5-6 video, looked all over for tips and tricks on how to easily get the detent off, and nothing was helpful.  The fact that a paperclip is the recommended "tool" is awful, and this particular mag release must be arc welded on.  Any other ideas on how to simply and easily get the mag release and detent out to replace it with an extended mag release?  

7 hours ago, m700 said:

Which one did you get that it has to be welded

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, Jeff_Alan said:

None of the mag releases are welded.  

I’m pretty sure he knows they aren’t welded.  I believe he is experiencing some difficulty with the paper clip in the little hole.  I echo his sentiment on this topic, I have bent too many trying to switch mine over to southpaw configuration.

Update:

Went and got a 1/16" roll pin punch and it still does not want to come out.  It's frustrating for sure.  I may drill this bastard out and just replace the detent.  I generally like guns that lock up nice and tight, but this design is trash.  There are far simpler ways to secure a mag release with a detent that is more accessible or at least easier to get loose.  

7 minutes ago, Robertwil18 said:

Update:

Went and got a 1/16" roll pin punch and it still does not want to come out.  It's frustrating for sure.  I may drill this bastard out and just replace the detent.  I generally like guns that lock up nice and tight, but this design is trash.  There are far simpler ways to secure a mag release with a detent that is more accessible or at least easier to get loose.  

Are you pulling up or out on the release button while pushing in on the punch or clip?  The first time I did it, I was expecting something to happen after I pushed in on the paper clip.  Once I realized I needed to pull on the button, it came off relatively easy.

I am more frustrated by the take down lever as I remove it more often than the mag release. Why it has to be so difficult to remove the take down lever is way beyond my imagination. Life should be easier, no?

4 hours ago, Southpaw320 said:

Are you pulling up or out on the release button while pushing in on the punch or clip?  The first time I did it, I was expecting something to happen after I pushed in on the paper clip.  Once I realized I needed to pull on the button, it came off relatively easy.

Placing the clip/pin/punch into the detent hole, settling it all the way in, rocking it up and down and trying to pull the detent out and up away from the frame with no success.  

4 hours ago, be032 said:

There's no real secret to either, just takes practice.

And patience!

7 hours ago, Robertwil18 said:

Placing the clip/pin/punch into the detent hole, settling it all the way in, rocking it up and down and trying to pull the detent out and up away from the frame with no success.  

Sounds like you got it, just can be frustrating.

Went to Harbor Freight and bought a new pick set today just for this, and still cannot get it to release, even with some slight upward pressure on the detent itself.  My patience is wearing thin and the drill press is looking more and more enticing.  

18 hours ago, Robertwil18 said:

I've found this to be the best technique.  

And yes OP some of them are tighter and annoying especially when new.

I struggled to replace the mag release on my X-carry an while back, I found out that putting the grip module in a bench vise to squeeze the mag release will free up that 2nd hand to work with the paper clip and a small flat head, this worked best imo. The crazy thing is that I have never had an issue with the mag release on my X5, go figure...

Did you ever get it? I hate to say it but I had one waiting for my legion grip and I had it in in under 30 seconds. Im not sure if the fact that there was 0 rds through the grip that made it clean and not stick on my helped.

• 2 months later...
On 7/25/2019 at 1:19 AM, Robertwil18 said:

I am beginning to despise the design of the P320 mag release, especially on the Legion.  I watched 5-6 video, looked all over for tips and tricks on how to easily get the detent off, and nothing was helpful.  The fact that a paperclip is the recommended "tool" is awful, and this particular mag release must be arc welded on.  Any other ideas on how to simply and easily get the mag release and detent out to replace it with an extended mag release?  

I used a paperclip- some what difficult- but it worked.