Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited class using 9mm

jasphotos

For me, it tends to be like i give up two  mikes before i fire a shot.   So i only shoot major in limited.  Plus the fact that i love 40, cause 9 sucks, don't hurt either.

PS: Limited Division

Here are some previous discussion on Minor in the Limited Division...

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/267616-limited-minor/

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/243373-shooting-production-should-i-switch-to-limited-minor/

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/194114-limited-minor/

and there are many others. In short, you get a 1-point penalty for each non-A hit compared to major shooters. Can you overcome that?

1 hour ago, jasphotos said:

Do I have a big disadvantage in using a 9mm instead of 40cal ?  I use a lot 9mm and don't want to re-load another caliber.

John

If you’re good enough that you stand a chance at winning the division, you have enough experience to know the answer to this question intimately.

As someone starting out dabbling in Limited? Show up, shoot 9mm, and have fun. See if it’s for you.

The vast majority of guys shot their first couple of matches in Limited minor with a 9mm gun.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

For your first match(es) I think the common advice is it's a great way to get introduced to the sport using a 9mm you already have. Not having to worry about reloading removes one more thing to try and figure out. But this is just if you're not interested in score.  If you're trying to compete in limited you'll want to go .40.  Please take a look at some of the links and other discussions about it that can do much better justice to the subject. There's plenty out there. Just remember it's supposed to be fun.

And Happy 4th of July!

John, I used 9mm Minor for Ltd for the first year I shot IPSC (yes, it was called

IPSC back then).

I was never a contender, and I just had a lot of fun - didn't even have to reload   :)

Depends on how serious you are about the sport - having fun the 9mm is GTG.

Serious about it - switch to .40 Major, immediately.    :) 

If and that a big if you already have a 9mm limited gun I'd say go for it. Shoot limited minor for a while see if it something you want to get more serious with and if so buy a major gun when you fell that minor is holding you back. Now if you are going to buy a gun for limited buy anything other than a .40 is just dumb.

I’d say try it with 9 and as soon as you like it, but a .40. 

One of the major (pun) differences is speed. When shooting major PF (40 is minimum caliber for major scoring in LTD) one can afford to give up a coupe of C’s here and there in order to really push speed. Minor PF/scoring is much less forgiving with regards to accuracy because the point values are crippled. 

But as as a previous poster said, if you hit all Alphas and quickly, nothing changes. Alpha=5 pts either way. 

Fine for fun, horrible for winning.

Look at it from another direction, it's not how many A you shoot, but rather it's how many C you shoot. Do you want your "mistakes" to be worth more points? Of course you do.

From a mechanical pov, nothing wrong with it. You can even being to learn the subtle differences between shooting a low cap vs a high cap division. And yes, depending on the local field there are plenty of places where some A or B guy is winning his club match for Limited shooting minor. But that's a false economy once you shoot with more skilled people and or people shooting major.

Edited by rowdyb

57 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Fine for fun, horrible for winning.

Look at it from another direction, it's not how many A you shoot, but rather it's how many C you shoot. Do you want your "mistakes" to be worth more points? Of course you do.

From a mechanical pov, nothing wrong with it. You can even being to learn the subtle differences between shooting a low cap vs a high cap division. And yes, depending on the local field there are plenty of places where some A or B guy is winning his club match for Limited shooting minor. But that's a false economy once you shoot with more skilled people and or people shooting major.

I'm not so sure if you shoot minor better it can be an advantage.  Sure you give up 1 point extra for shots outside of the A zone.  Most aim for 90% A's but if by using minor you convert a miss to a D you gain points.  Most shoot major to fudge their accuracy at speed.  

I've seen the top guys go both ways.  I saw Rick Castello at an Area match go minor and he didn't know it until the 2nd day, yet he won the match against top GM's.  I read about Koenig going minor, at a SS Nationals I believe, and just missing winning the match by a few points.  So the one it didn't matter the other it did.

So if you like shooting Minor just make sure you take any advantage you can get by going with a 9mm and having a couple of extra rounds, a lighter recoiling firearm which may save a missed shot penalty and focus on the A zone.  As long as you are having fun and not making mistakes take it as a challenge from the naysayers.  

Now if you're planning on spending big bucks on a Limited Gun, you might want to do some testing to see if you shoot minor better than major.

37 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

m not so sure if you shoot minor better it can be an advantage

I never wanted to make that suggestion, so if that's what you comprehended I didn't write it well enough.

The exceptions don't outweigh the rule. Minor sucks in Limited if you're trying to be competitive.

15 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

I never wanted to make that suggestion, so if that's what you comprehended I didn't write it well enough.

The exceptions don't outweigh the rule. Minor sucks in Limited if you're trying to be competitive.

I agree with the rule, it's just if someone is aking/questioning the rule the benefits aren't the same as those who are already experienced.

Some may just be looking for something different to hype interest again.  Or they aren't invested enough yet for it to truly matter over getting started.

I.E. the new guy who has, or is willing to spend the money, on a production type gun but want to rig up for Limited and especially the round count.  

A Glock 34 or CZ P10 can be set up for Limited for a lot less than a 2011 and yet the rig could be competitive later if they do upgrade.  Not the optimum but...

I'd almost recommend CO over Limited to someone though in that position.

Also, I do get easily confused and then tend to run on.🤪