Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Minor

p7fl

Could not figure a better place for this..call it a C.

I’ve never paid much attention to Ltd Minor.

I got back into USPSA when Production was announced and have shot either Production or SS since. Two weeks ago I shot a Monster Match with  55 round stages and a stage designer who was pure evil. He tossed in a lot of back to back to back 6 round views and running between. Some stages I went thru 9 mags.

Looking at my Glock 19s I could just add some longer mags and see if I enjoy LM thinking and planning.. I can read the length in the rule book, my specific first question is:

A is how many rounds does that translate into a Glock 17 mag total after adding an extension?

B. Next is which brand extension is preferred and reliable out of the box?

C. Last question is if I can could choose a pistol for LM, would it be the Shadow 2 or 2011 or is there another option?

D. Is LM just a dumb idea?

TIA

jon

I got back into USPSA when Production was announced and have shot either Production or SS since. Two weeks ago I shot a Monster Match with  55 round stages and a stage designer who was pure evil. He tossed in a lot of back to back to back 6 round views and running between. Some stages I went thru 9 mags.

Looking at my Glock 19s I could just add some longer mags and see if I enjoy LM thinking and planning.. I can read the length in the rule book, my specific first question is:

A is how many rounds does that translate into a Glock 17 mag total after adding an extension?

C. Last question is if I can could choose a pistol for LM, would it be the Shadow 2 or 2011 or is there another option?

TIA

jon

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, p7fl said:

TIA

jon

It's been a while since I shot a Glock with 140mm mags. I can't remember the capacity. I feel like it's not really any better than a 2011 in 40. I can start with 22 in the mag and get major scoring.

-23 rounds

-I used Arredondo pads.

-I would say 2011

-Yes LM is kind of dumb

If you shoot for fun limited minor is a great idea, cheaper ammo, higher capacity mags, less recoil. If I was going to do that I'd probably get a CZ TS  or TSO, no good reason just personal preference, there are many new and used guns that would suit nicely at price points ranging from happy wife to hostile divorce. 

If you are anxious to get the best score you can in USPSA, see other posts. 

I shot Limited Minor for years - was never going to come in first anyway, and it's what I had,

and I used 9mm ammo which was cheaper,and it held more rounds than a major round.

Few advantages, if you're just having fun.

Serious disadvantage if you're serious - then you definitely want to shoot Major - 

The Shadow and 2011 are purely personal choices - YOU might want to stick with a Glock 34    :) 

For winning, Minor reduces your chances in Limited. For having a good time at matches, I guess it can be very good.

Original Glock 17 mags are 17 rounds. A +2 should get you to 19. Somebody correct me if things have changed since Glocks were a new thing.

Original Glock magazines and extensions have never failed me. Others have mixed experience with after market items.

For Limited Minor, I'd go with a CZ TSO or TS in 9mm. I wouldn't mind a Shadow 2 either - or a Glock with a bit of tuning.

Loads of european guys shoot limited minor. Often because of mag wells or fancy triggers in their production guns. Is it competitive... probably not, but its popular. I guess you can look at who won top limited shooting minor in the results in any case..

I've heard it said that there are only 2 real ways to shoot limited minor. Either ALL A's and try to keep up with production times, or have the fastest stage times and try to outrun the Mikes.

I shot an M&P in Limited Minor for awhile and didn't do either of those. Switching to a 2011 in 40 was the best thing I've done for shooting Limited. I get 2-3 rounds less but with the way stages are designed there really isn't a difference between 20 and 22.

Summed up

A. ~23

B. TTI, Springer, its a glock you got plenty of options.

C. 2011

D. Depends on your goal

You guys are over thinking this.

If you want to shoot limited minor for one monster match, have fun. It'll likely be mostly hoser stages anyway, so minor is less if an issue.

That said, isn't the point of a monster match to do more of everything? We have one locally. The limited guys love it, "you have to use 4 magazines." These are the same people who won't shoot production at a typical match because they have to use 4 magazines.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

If it's what you have and want to try Limited then go for it. Long term, there are a couple guys in my section, good shooters, who shoot minor for pretty much everything and it doesn't handicap them in the slightest. I stick with the mantra of "if you can shoot major, do that," mostly because I drop too many points, but there are now divisions where shooting minor comes with a round count advantage (where there didn't used to be one) and that can be a big enough game changer to make the switch to minor.

TIA

jon

23 + 1 rounds in a Taran +6 but you will probably have to reload to 22. I would choose a Shadow 2 unless you just really want a 2011. Recoil, capacity, and reliability are about even but the CZ is cheaper. If you just want to shoot a nice gun and have fun on the cheap Limited minor is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C -  The ideal CZ answer is a CZ Tactical Sport Orange 9mm, or perhaps a CZ Czechmate 9mm in Limited trim (they come with parts to convert between limited and open trim).

Those are nice guns but I would probably go for the STI Hawk in that price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shot Limited Minor for years - was never going to come in first anyway, and it's what I had,
and I used 9mm ammo which was cheaper,and it held more rounds than a major round.

Few advantages, if you're just having fun.

Serious disadvantage if you're serious - then you definitely want to shoot Major - 

The Shadow and 2011 are purely personal choices - YOU might want to stick with a Glock 34    [emoji4] 
This is pretty accurate. I purchased a CZ TSO 9mm for limited minor. My stock in ammo is cases of 9mm, I wasn't going to start switching to 40. While I had lots of fun, what is ruining it for me is that I live in NY and my 20+ round mags (I've got 8) are useless and trying to be serious forced me to switch to production. I picked up a Shadow 2 for this. While I now have to dumb down the 17+2 mags, at least I'm on even ground with the rest of the competition and not having to worry about minor and major.

I really like Limited and will probably go to matches outside of NY to fully enjoy it. I will continue to shoot LM, again I have an abundance of 9mm ammo. All my handguns are 9mm. My one and only 40 was sold when I decided to keep the handgun lot all 9mm.

If I decided I can't live without limited minor I will pick up a 2011 in 40, even shooting LM10

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I had a 2011 in 9mm for 3 gun, but I shot limited minor with, and it worked. My MBX mags run 100% at 23 rounds. One planned reload in 99% of the stuff I shot, granted they were all local matches for gun.

If I was going to buy a gun for the sole purpose of shooting USPSA I would get a 40 and shoot major, if you were concerned with shooting limited. I went the other way and bought a single stack and enjoy it.

On 10/26/2018 at 7:11 AM, adamge said:

C -  The ideal CZ answer is a CZ Tactical Sport Orange 9mm, or perhaps a CZ Czechmate 9mm in Limited trim (they come with parts to convert between limited and open trim).

If you get a 9mm CZ Tactical Sport Orange you can also get a .40 slide and swap between the two. That was my choice.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:11 PM, motosapiens said:

don't do stupid stuff just because of 1 stupid match. Just don't go to that match next year if they like to hose production and SS shooters.

The only place Lim Minor doesn't suck is an all steel match like Berry's steel open.

Excellent advice. Just had a local USPSA match this weekend. Rain in the forecast so all steel and no paper. Finished 2nd out of 13 in Limited division. Only guy that beat me was shooting limited minor.

Lesson learned: Always bring a backup gun. I should have just switched to LIM Minor.