Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anybody back to Glock after CZ / Tanfo ?

ATMester

I am about 3 months in moving from a 34 to a Stock 2. Others have said this, but I wonder if a number of people give it a couple of months, then give up on change an go back to what they know? 

Initially I loved the trigger and wrote other things off to being new. After a bit you want those "other things" to disappear and get on with your shooting. I've been in that spot of late. Having only ever shot Glocks seriously I believe it will take some time until I can totally relax and forget about the gun. I'm planning 6-9 months minimum before I make any decisions. 

Regardless of the gun, I'm still working on myself. If I do go back to the Glock I firmly believe that I will be better for the experience. 

On 11/19/2019 at 8:22 AM, J_Allen said:

Mont1120,

I’m surprised you were shooting low with the Glock - usually you shoot high after transitioning from the 1911 grip angle. Do you think you were pushing the gun down anticipating recoil with the lighter frame?

It seemed to me that after shooting 1911's for 30 years, the grip on the Glock was the issue. I would draw and always end up with the sights going high, then trying to adjust for the change, I ended up with shots going low. I just could not get used to the feel of the grip angle.

One thing I will admit, if I had to carry everyday, or was in combat, I'd take the Glock. Seems like it fires no matter what, even in freezing cold, wet times when the rain is icing up everything. They are reliable 100%.

I started off carry optics with a used gen3 34 figuring it was close to the comped g19 I carry.  I got bit  by the gamer bug and picked up a used SP-01 Tactical.  I ran it for 6 months but I felt the extra weight was slowing my transitions and my splits weren't any faster.  Plus I was always waiting for some small part like the TRS or something in the sear cage to break.  I didn't want to go back to Glock though as I'd been spoiled by the CZ's 2lb trigger and ergos, so I picked up a used P-10F OR.  I though I'd found "the one".  Glock weight, short 2.5lb trigger, great ergos, and metal mags that drop free.  But like the SP-01, the thought of parts breakage is always in the back of my mind.  In two months I've broken the ejector twice, once mid-stage, and the rear insert is starting to rattle in the frame due to the roll pins elongating the holes in the polymer.  It outperforms the Glock all day, but I don't know if it's worth not having the piece of mind of the Glock's reliability, or the fact that I don't have to carry a full set of tools to swap in parts.  When your buddy absentmindedly slams a sand-filled mag into your CZ, you'll wish you could detail strip it without a needing hammer.  I'm close to swallowing my pride, admitting I was seduced by the CZ siren song,  and just picking up a gen5 G34.

On 11/24/2019 at 8:01 PM, mike4045 said:

Did about 7 years with a glock. Then a couple years with a CZ. Now I am back to a 34 and soon a 17. I like the 17, just feels better and transitions faster. Now if I could just find a way to shorten the glock trigger.

Same here, Love my G17.  Transitions fast, seems like it cycles faster in my eyes, just feels better..  Get a Vanek Housing and it has adjustable Pre-travel so you can take up some slack and put it where you want it.

• 1 month later...

I still have all my Tanfo's but 3 years ago I also went to a glock 35 to cover my limited gear. I also added 2 kids to my family since then so my match time  is lets say limited to not much. I like that I don't need to carry a back up gun to matches anymore maybe just a parts kit. Now I love my Tanfo's they seem to fit my hand like a glove and I can run them fast. I don't have the time to tinker or tune them I like putting gas in my glock 35 and blasting away. My old set up on my Tanfo's with running 10 mm mags and running my ammo really long made it shoot like a kitten but when I switched over to the new mags it did make it a bit more snappy.  Plus my blue label price for my glock 35 was around $450 which sounds a lot nicer then a $1500 for a STI.

Over the years I've switched around between the Witness, M&P, Glock and now STI for Limited. Every time I switched, I eventually transitioned back to my Glock 35 just because the muscle memory is there and it hasn't had any major failures.  Tried a stainless CCF frame which worked really well until it broke, experimented with a wolf frame but eventually went back to the gen3 frame. I have an Edge now but still use the G35 as my primary limited gun for matches and 3-gun. Just wish I could figure out how to stop the peening on slide and side of the barrel. Put a frame weight on it, and it seems like its getting worse.  

6 hours ago, Mustang684 said:

Over the years I've switched around between the Witness, M&P, Glock and now STI for Limited. Every time I switched, I eventually transitioned back to my Glock 35 just because the muscle memory is there and it hasn't had any major failures.  Tried a stainless CCF frame which worked really well until it broke, experimented with a wolf frame but eventually went back to the gen3 frame. I have an Edge now but still use the G35 as my primary limited gun for matches and 3-gun. Just wish I could figure out how to stop the peening on slide and side of the barrel. Put a frame weight on it, and it seems like its getting worse.  

Photos of the peening please.

I was mesmerized by a Shadow 2 while at my LGS one day and bought it. I trained with it for awhile and tried competing with it a few times.  Couldn’t get into it. Sold it and went back to my Glocks.  I shoot better with my cheap Glock and I don’t have to mess with the annoying breakdown of the CZ and the incredibly short throated barrel. One day I will learn that SA/DA guns are not for me. 

On 7/3/2019 at 3:34 PM, ATMester said:

Anybody decided to go back to  Glock

after shooting a CZ / Tanfo platform?

My classifier scores telling me, that for me Glock (G34) was the way to go. 

I was fast but relatively speaking inaccurate with the Glock    

With my Stock2 I am just slow....

( also my training was focusing to shoot classifiers well with my Glock

Currently with the Stock 2 I am focusing on other things....)

Glocks just transition much faster without thinking  about transitioning fast. (for me anyways)

They load faster on the way in, not when it comes dropping the magazine though ....

Stock 2 is just easier to shoot it accurately- without thinking too much about accuracy ( in my humble opinion....)

I always had the sensation that my G34 shoots softer than my Stock2 with the same load. 

I had the feeling that the polymer frame just dumpers the recoil better. 

I am talking about minor ( production) load and shooting here. Limited major would be a different story...

thanks,

I did. I think a lot of it is just a level of comfort. I shot a G17/34 for years, then switched to a stock 2. I got rolling pretty good with the S2 then lost a bet forcing me to go back to a G34. I seem to be able to manipulate the G34 faster than the S2. That said, there is no question that the tanfo soaks up more recoil. 

On 11/25/2019 at 2:27 PM, Slalom45 said:

I am about 3 months in moving from a 34 to a Stock 2. Others have said this, but I wonder if a number of people give it a couple of months, then give up on change an go back to what they know? 

Initially I loved the trigger and wrote other things off to being new. After a bit you want those "other things" to disappear and get on with your shooting. I've been in that spot of late. Having only ever shot Glocks seriously I believe it will take some time until I can totally relax and forget about the gun. I'm planning 6-9 months minimum before I make any decisions. 

Regardless of the gun, I'm still working on myself. If I do go back to the Glock I firmly believe that I will be better for the experience. 

I went to a CZ SP01 shadow for a year then bought the Shadow 2. I always hated both guns but thought I would eventually come around. The gun shoots great it's just everything else that's a problem for me.

16 hours ago, BSwanson said:

Why do you think the barrel lug failed?   What happens when a lug fails?

Only thing I can think of is maybe they had a batch of barrels that didn’t get heat treated properly and it resulted in a failure.