Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New reloader recommendations

BamaShooter88

Looking to get into reloading 9mm minor to start off. Then eventually 40 s&w. An maybe some rifle calibers later. I will start off loading around 1,000 rounds a month of 9mm minor. When I start loading 40 S&W I will probably go through 600 of each a month. Should I buy a new reloader kit that comes with most everything needed or buy used and piece everything together?

Looking to get into reloading 9mm minor to start off. Then eventually 40 s&w. An maybe some rifle calibers later. I will start off loading around 1,000 rounds a month of 9mm minor. When I start loading 40 S&W I will probably go through 600 of each a month. Should I buy a new reloader kit that comes with most everything needed or buy used and piece everything together?
Welcome to reloading!!

I've had Lee Loadmaster, Hornady LNL AP, Dillon Square deal b & XL650. Please start with at least Dillon XL650 or even 1050 if you can afford it(that's my next purchase). The smoothness and the efficiency of pulling the handle can't be compared yo the others I named.

Will you be buying brass? If so, buy it cleaned and polished as it's readily available that way nowadays. If not, buy a Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler and Brass juice. You will get sparkling clean brass that loads like butter through your dies. Dry tumbling is cool but my wet tumbler can do 25 pounds in 90 mins. I lay it out on a huge cookie tray and let a small space heater hit it for a few hours. Then just let it air dry, throw it in a 5 gallon bucket and it's ready to load when you want.

Dies: Use the LEE Deluxe 4 die set for all your pistol calibers. Between the included factory crimp die, short decapping die and affordable pricing you won't go wrong.

Get a casefeeder. It'll speed up the loading process and allow you to focus more on the powder in the cases.

What's your budget?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

For a single cartridge in quantity, the Dillon Square Deal is hard to beat.  That, along with a scale and a vibratory case cleaner can get you going.  Add a manual, such as Speer, Hornady ot Lyman and go through the reloading tutorial to ensure understanding the reloading steps.  A set of calipers should be added as well, and you may want to consider a chronograph.

Add a second Square Deal later for the 40.

Beyond that there are many suitable choices.  Rifle, depending on quantity may be served with a single stage press.  Alternately, all (rifle and pistol) can be done on something like a Dilloin 550 or 650, if you want progressive.

Lots of equipment to choose from.

8 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Welcome to reloading!!

I've had Lee Loadmaster, Hornady LNL AP, Dillon Square deal b & XL650. Please start with at least Dillon XL650 or even 1050 if you can afford it(that's my next purchase). The smoothness and the efficiency of pulling the handle can't be compared yo the others I named.

Will you be buying brass? If so, buy it cleaned and polished as it's readily available that way nowadays. If not, buy a Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler and Brass juice. You will get sparkling clean brass that loads like butter through your dies. Dry tumbling is cool but my wet tumbler can do 25 pounds in 90 mins. I lay it out on a huge cookie tray and let a small space heater hit it for a few hours. Then just let it air dry, throw it in a 5 gallon bucket and it's ready to load when you want.

Dies: Use the LEE Deluxe 4 die set for all your pistol calibers. Between the included factory crimp die, short decapping die and affordable pricing you won't go wrong.

Get a casefeeder. It'll speed up the loading process and allow you to focus more on the powder in the cases.

What's your budget?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I haven’t really set a budget yet. I don’t think I could get a 1050 though. I’d probably have to get a 650.

depending on what rifle calibers you end up loading .

The 550 would be very hard to beat with the volume and versitaly your are looking fore.

Extra tool heads /powder measures 10min change overs. Have used a 550 for over 25 years

just recently purchased a 1050  still have and use the 550.

Titan Reloading is having a sale right now.

The XL 650 is $60 off. You have to pay shipping. But it’s reasonable and still cheaper than anywhere else. Dillon stuff hardly ever goes on sale.

I just picked up a XL650 and case feeder to add to my RL 550B and Lee single stage.

They also have several other Dillon Presses on sale.

I have no regrets about getting a 550 first and will never get rid of it. I use it as basically a single stage to load self defense pistol ammo and precision rifle ammo. I love it and will never get rid of it.

I will also add a Mr Bullet bullet feeder to the mix here shortly.

If your gonna load massive amounts of pistol ammo, and/or AR type ammo get at least a 650, case feeder, and bullet feeder.

I love reloading and enjoy the process, but i shoot so much now that it’s become to time consuming with just the 550.

There’s no denying that the 1050 is really the way to go for high volume ammo, I just don’t have the space or disposable income for one right now.

I also change calibers. A lot. I load for half a dozen different calibers and switch often. The 550 change is a breeze. The 650 takes a little longer but still not bad. The 1050 takes a little bit longer still. Each time you move up the caliber changes become more expensive as well. Right now between the 550 and 650 I’ll be running about 16 different Toolheads.

I’d eventually like to have the 650 running my high volume pistol ammo and get a 1050 for the high volume 5.56 and 300 blackout.

I would also second the recommendation for Lee 4 die pistol set. They can’t be beat. I had all Dillon dies when I started and ended up selling them. The Lee dies size down further than the Dillon dies and great for range pickup brass. Especially 9MM and 40 S&W.

I use only the Lee dies for pistol and various dies for rifle. RCBS black dies for initial case prep of all military brass. I love the Forster FL dies for rifle and their micrometer seaters are excellent. Also a big fan of the Redding body dies in combo with the Lee collet dies for precision rifle ammo.

If my wife knew how much money I’ve invested in firearms and reloading...

Welcome to addiction!

I think the most accurate statement I’ve heard regarding reloading is “You don’t really save any money, because you just end up shooting a LOT more!”

Not sure how people who don’t reload can really enjoy their firearms the way they are meant to be enjoyed. I know before I started reloading I for sure didn’t shoot as much as should I have (and I used to be in LE). I didn’t really become proficient with firearms UNTIL I started reloading.

Guns are cheap. Feeding them is expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As some others here recommended, I'd start with a 650 and a set of the Lee Deluxe 4-die set, so that you get the factory crimp die.

My reason for buying the 650 over a 550 is for the auto indexing feature.  It's really hard to double charge a round on the 650 because it auto indexes; 550 indexes manually.

Square D is a decent deal, however you have to use the proprietary dillon dies.

16 hours ago, BamaShooter88 said:

I haven’t really set a budget yet. I don’t think I could get a 1050 though. I’d probably have to get a 650.

Sounds like a 650 is in your future.

High volume - flexible - fast and you can buy a LOT of attachments

and go really fast.    :) 

7 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Sounds like a 650 is in your future.

High volume - flexible - fast and you can buy a LOT of attachments

and go really fast.    :) 

Yea that’s what I’m leaning towards. Do you guys think the 650 new reloader kits are worth it? Should I buy a used press for $500 and then get all the other necessities?

Bama

I'm in the minority here.  Started with RCBS Singe Stage, still have it for rifle small lots etc

Went to a 550 30years ago when they didn't have a letter designation and still have it.

Got a 650 didn't like the noise of the case feeder and seemed a PITA to change calibers by comparison.

Sold it 6 months later and went back to the 550

FWIW the 650 is a good machine, I like the quiet of the 550 and 500 rounds an hour is more than enough output for me.

Honestly I usually load in 200-300 round batches so it truly is enough machine for me

I really like how it loads 223 and 308 ammo.

I also like the manual index especially if something goes wrong or I want to check something.

The 650 guys I'm sure have a process that works great for them but I like the simplicity and efficiency of my 550's

I've got one set for sm. primers and one for Lg primers

Welcome to the reloading addition 

For the amount you're loading you want to go progressive. If you plan on shooting multiple calibers and are price sensitive (IE, you'll only have one press), buy the 550. Caliber changes are much quicker and easier, and if you really want to be fast set-up 2 550s, one for large primer and one for small primer. Then caliber changes take just a minute or two.

If you plan to have one caliber that you reload, or aren't price sensitive and will have multiple presses then go 650 for the increased production rate. Another way to use the 650 is to load in large batches. Load 3-5k of one caliber before changing to another. IMO if you're loading 300-500 at a time and changing calibers often you just waste too much time changing calibers and fiddling with the press.

The Hornady LNL is also a fine press, but to me it falls under the same use-conditions as the 650. The 1050 is great, if you're made of money or shoot a TON of ammo. I don't see that I'll ever be in a position where I could shoot enough to warrant that kind of machine. The 550 is the machine for me. 1) I'm a bit cheap, 2) I have lots of control and can observe a lot of the process, 3) I don't shoot that much, and 4) I load a bit of this caliber then change and load a bit of another.

I’d start with at least with a 650, when I first started reloading with a progressive press I bought the Hornady LNL, I quickly sold it as it always had issues and it seemed I spent more time fixing it than I did  reloading on it. If I had the money I would have bought the 1050, that will be my next big purchase when it’s time to get another press.

Hello: If you are loading just a 1000 rounds a month buy a Dillon Square Deal B. Find a good used one and load lots of ammo with it. I have owned 5 of them and they are great little presses. I have also owned a 550 but never a 650. I have heard of to many problems with the 650 so I skipped to RL1050's and never looked back. The Dillon presses I would buy now are the SDB in 9mm and another RL1050. With Dillon presses you won't loose any money on them if you keep them for 5 years. You can't say that with any other press. Thanks, Eric