Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster for 625/627

Gomar83

I was wondering if I could get any thoughts and or  opinions on two different holsters. The Comp Tech Victory Gear (Speed Beez tactical owb holster) and the Blade Tech Pro series Speed rig holster? For a S&W 625/627. I’m wanting to build a rig for shooting USPSA and for at my range at home. The reason I’m not going fora DAA is because my son will shoot this gun from time to time and he isn’t ready for a full out race holster. I currently have a 625JM with a 4” barrel and I plan on getting a 627 next year.

Bladetech will be a little faster with the front cut out, and the Comp-Tac is more “Production legal”. I think the Comp-Tac would be a good solid choice to start, and then you could always transition to a race holster later. That way you have a nice holster for your son to use as he gets used to drawing the gun out slow and steady. 

59 minutes ago, J_Allen said:

Bladetech will be a little faster with the front cut out, and the Comp-Tac is more “Production legal”. I think the Comp-Tac would be a good solid choice to start, and then you could always transition to a race holster later. That way you have a nice holster for your son to use as he gets used to drawing the gun out slow and steady. 

You're thinking of a different model.  This is the one Gomar83 is talking about:

https://www.dillonprecision.com/comp-tac-international-uspsa-icore-revolver-competition-holster_8_0_26494.html

Edited by Carmoney

18 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I wish I bought that one. I have the closed front N-frame one that I bought from Speed Beez for my 625 4-inch, but have since bought a 5" 627 and it's nose sticks out the front, which is fine except that I'd prefer that the muzzle be covered to prevent damage from bumping into stuff. I think a glued on piece of plastic might work, but your holster seem speedier!

Gomar83, they all look similar. Buy the cheapest one! Then just practice with it. I don't think any of them is worse than any other one. The one I bought has an enclosed  front/top so I can't swing the barrel forward until it has cleared the holster completely. I just have to practice with it ... the holster draw is a pretty small part of the game.

Edited by Vincerama

15 hours ago, Gomar83 said:

Well right now I just have the 625JM with the 4” barrel and if things work out I will hopefully have a 627 next year.

They will fit the same holsters, since both are N frame revolvers. If you plan to get the performance center 627, it is a five inch barrel so you’d want to get that to also fit your four inch 625. I’m not use if the open front on a five inch  holster works fo a four inch gun but the closed holster  certainly would.

I will offer this to the OP: I went with the Blade-tech. After only a couple month's use, the hanger came loose and I lost one of the nuts. Despite the auto-reply promising a response in one business day, after no response and no return call from a voicemail, I gave up and ordered some Chicago screws from Amazon. It's a fine holster and I don't have any other complaints but if you go that way, check the screws.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, gwalia said:

Does the comp-tac revolver come in LH. 

Sure ... go to the SpeedBeez link (previously posted) and they allow you to select left or right. 

https://www.speedbeez.com/product/speed-beez-outside-waist-band-sw-627-5-inch-tactical-revolver-holster-except-v-comp-trr8-uspsa-legal-speed-rig/

If you want a left from the Dillon link I guess you just have to call. 

• 2 weeks later...

Consistency with the holster and feeling comfortable with the holster you have is the key. I have tried many holsters  and the fastest I found (can' t recall the brand) but it was fast. So fast the revolver wanted to jump out on its own sometimes. So fast is not the key in my opinion but consistency is and speed will come with consistency. So if you are have problems with the draw not coming out and holding up every once in awhile then adjust the position of your holster and make sure you draw the same every time.

10 hours ago, revoman said:

Consistency with the holster and feeling comfortable with the holster you have is the key. I have tried many holsters  and the fastest I found (can' t recall the brand) but it was fast. So fast the revolver wanted to jump out on its own sometimes. So fast is not the key in my opinion but consistency is and speed will come with consistency. So if you are have problems with the draw not coming out and holding up every once in awhile then adjust the position of your holster and make sure you draw the same every time.

Very well said, unless it's Steel Challenge type stuff, I just don't like an open rig anymore.  Even in SC I avoid them as I tend to become less aggressive on my draws with a minimalist holster.  At the top, every .001 counts though.