Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP GMR-15 or Sig MPX PCC final considerations

I am not an expert, so I can't get into detail.  I know that their rifles are used by some at the big national matches.  You would have to dig into reviews to find answers.  All I know is that their PCC rifles are compared to the JP's.  With regard to the Sig,  I feel it is inferior to the JP's or LeadStar for a PCC rifle. Try a Leadstar and I beleive that you will like it!

Wish I had more info for you........Roy

Edited by rbx
Added a sentence
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odd how people spot different trends.

I have seen A LOT of malfunctions on JPs in 9mm and 223.  I see far fewer on 9mm Lead Stars which are a fraction of the cost of a JP.  I own JPs and am moving to Lead Stars.  Seriously.  But YMMV.

The MPX is a softer shooter, hands down but is harder to maintain as others have mentioned.

It is all about what YOU value in a gun.

10 hours ago, Nemesis Lead said:The MPX is a softer shooter, hands down but is harder to maintain as others have mentioned.

I wouldn’t say it’s hard to maintain.  But it is traditionally more work since there is more parts involved in the way it functions. That being said, I’ve seen wayyyyyyy more malfunctions with AR variant PCC’s than I have with my MPX’. 

In my opinion, the best pcc is the one you shoot best with. End of story. 

1 hour ago, rbx said:

Just buy a Leadstar.  I have yet to find anybody to complain about their rifles and their support is great!

They’re not even lefty friendly. That’s a major fail in modern times. Also, nobody on the 2021 PCC Nationals super squad used one… 

12 hours ago, Nemesis Lead said:

I have seen A LOT of malfunctions on JPs

Define a LOT.  I have seen a rare occasion where JPs malfunction.  Also something that needs to be considered is what has the shooter done to the rifle.  Take a JP, use the correct ammo, they work just fine.  Once thing to note is bullet profile does matter in all PCCs.  PCC barrels for the most part have a non existent feed ramp.  These are things that should be vetted by the shooter regardless of the PCC they use.  

To be 100% honest, any of the PCC shooters in our area who have a clue on how to maintain their gun, have done the proper homework on ammo, they just run.  It does not matter the brand.  I cannot say that about the shooters who do not have a clue, and/or do not maintain their guns. 

Edited by Boomstick303

1 minute ago, rbx said:

In the latest USPSA mag they have a list of rifles used in the Nationals and it said 8% used Leadstar rifles.

I was on the super squad, and nobody used a Leadstar PCC was my point. I’m not trying to say they suck or anything negative about them. I’m just stating what I saw on my squad at nationals. Lena’s MPX malf'ed. Max’s JP5 malf'ed. Justine’s Brekke build malf’ed. My MPX, 100% flawless. 🤷‍♂️

Regardless, like I said before, the best PCC is the one that the shooter uses best to win. As long as they’re reliable.

Everyone has seen any/every brand PCC malfunction.  There’s so many factors into the equation on why.  To say XYZ brand PCC is the best because 1500 rounds flawless through it without malfunction, I’d say that gun isnt even broken in yet. Put 50,000 through it and report back 😄

All this said, I love the competitive side the market is bringing to the game!

LOL  I already died once after a heart attack 20+ years ago.  I found out dying is not that bad.  I just don't know hwat happens if you don't come back to life, but will find out...LOL

I am a tough FU**! Open Heart, Cancer, 3 back surgeries, Left Hip, Knee and 2 Shoulder replacements  and I could go on!

I just keep going like the Energizer Bunny! Ha Ha !

2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Define a LOT.  I have seen a rare occasion where JPs malfunction.  Also something that needs to be considered is what has the shooter done to the rifle.  Take a JP, use the correct ammo, they work just fine.  Once thing to note is bullet profile does matter in all PCCs.  PCC barrels for the most part have a non existent feed ramp.  These are things that should be vetted by the shooter regardless of the PCC they use.  

To be 100% honest, any of the PCC shooters in our area who have a clue on how to maintain their gun, have done the proper homework on ammo, they just run.  It does not matter the brand.  I cannot say that about the shooters who do not have a clue, and/or do not maintain their guns. 

Define a lot?  I mean, I don't track the data as it happens.  

What I do do is this.  When I see someone's PCC crap out, I will ask them who the manufacturer is and make a mental note of it.

Is this a scientific observation?  Of course not.  It could be poor maintenance, poor ammo, user induced malfunctions, users adding incorrect parts to their rifles, etc..

Is it is scientific sample?  Of course not.  I live in a wealthy area of the country and see about as many JPs as I see Lead Stars.

But I have always been really surprised by the number of problems high dollar JPs have and how few problems the Lead Stars have.  

Just one man's observation.

We have a competitor on a squad that I have been shooting with for years, every weekend.  His JP hasn't malfunctions once.  He has experienced a few magazine problems.

Contrast that with every other PCC shooter that has been on our squad having multiple malfunctions over the years.

Observation of one squad.

• 11 months later...

So based on the conversation here, if I have never worked on an AR of any sort and was buying a PCC for my first..... a JP would probably be the least headache in maintenance and reliability?

EDIT: Ah crap, didn't realize this was a year since the last post.

Edited by nick779
58 minutes ago, nick779 said:

So based on the conversation here, if I have never worked on an AR of any sort and was buying a PCC for my first..... a JP would probably be the least headache in maintenance and reliability?

EDIT: Ah crap, didn't realize this was a year since the last post.

Springfield Saint Victor PCC is fantastic for <$1200. If I was getting my first PCC all over again, then that's what I would buy. Maintenance is easy as it's direct blowback and reliability should be better than its Glock counterparts due to the way the rounds feed. This is coming from a person who started with a JP GMR-15.

10 hours ago, CClassForLife said:

Springfield Saint Victor PCC is fantastic for <$1200. If I was getting my first PCC all over again, then that's what I would buy. Maintenance is easy as it's direct blowback and reliability should be better than its Glock counterparts due to the way the rounds feed. This is coming from a person who started with a JP GMR-15.

Say my PCC only budget is roughly $2500. Would you still recommend that? I have a bad habit of buying "budget minded" things, regretting my purchases and then buying what I wanted in the first place.

2 hours ago, nick779 said:

Say my PCC only budget is roughly $2500. Would you still recommend that? I have a bad habit of buying "budget minded" things, regretting my purchases and then buying what I wanted in the first place.

If what you want is within your means, then get that. The thing you want already has a lead against everything else when it comes to the thing that actually matters (which is making you want to use the gun).

My experience, expectations, and wants are different than yours. Personally, I would get the Saint because I already know how much better the other things shoot comparatively. However, they aren't that much better to justify the tradeoffs and/or cost. For you, that calculation might be completely different.

On 2/14/2023 at 4:54 PM, rbx said:

You should have just bought a LeadStar......................8:)  I love my Prime PCC!

You’ve said this so many times.  But, Idk anyone who wins majors that shoots them. That’s all I’m gonna say…..