Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP GMR-15 or Sig MPX PCC final considerations

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford/Chevy, just pick one and bash the other. 

Just kidding...

I picked JP and happy with my decision but would have been happy with MPX if it were as reliable as the JP has been out of the box. Great knowledge people at JP and more than willing to talk over the phone about their product. 

Lots of people on this forum have gone from an AR9 (and a few from JP) to MPX's.

Anyone go from an MPX to a JP? I think we have one or two tops. JP build quality is fantastic, but they didn't change the physics involved. Frankly, the people who seem to have MPX issues are generally either mechanically inept, power-floor scrapers, or lazy and fail to clean their match equipment somewhat regularly.

The MPX really isn't 'hard' to clean, but a blowback AR is just very, very simple/easier to clean. 

Basing your competition equipment purchase on 'which one don't I have to clean' is insane to me, but to each their own I suppose. I want the fastest horse, even if it requires some extra hay. 

1 hour ago, Acer2428 said:

Lots of people on this forum have gone from an AR9 (and a few from JP) to MPX's.

Anyone go from an MPX to a JP? I think we have one or two tops. JP build quality is fantastic, but they didn't change the physics involved. Frankly, the people who seem to have MPX issues are generally either mechanically inept, power-floor scrapers, or lazy and fail to clean their match equipment somewhat regularly.

The MPX really isn't 'hard' to clean, but a blowback AR is just very, very simple/easier to clean. 

Basing your competition equipment purchase on 'which one don't I have to clean' is insane to me, but to each their own I suppose. I want the fastest horse, even if it requires some extra hay. 

even if it requires steroids 🙂

Anyway. Thursday I report back after shooting them both. It's not cleaning what bothers me, it's reliability and parts availability. Will learn all this on Thursday. Dealer willing to sell me both (has both in stock), shoots them both and lies them both to make it more difficult. So shooting should make my decision easy I hope. If MPX faster (I don't care about recoil) then MPX or the other way around the JP. If JP I only have to decide on barrel length. Dealer has 16" in stock while I think (opinion Josh Froelich in interview!) that 14.5 is way to go?

Since I'm new to the game I also wonder if (like pistols) you should stick to one platform and practice until death or if it would be relatively easy to go from a blow back to a sig and vice versa. So many questions if you are new to PCC... Want to shoot 🙂 Tnx all!

25 minutes ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Anyway. Thursday I report back after shooting them both. It's not cleaning what bothers me, it's reliability and parts availability. Will learn all this on Thursday. Dealer willing to sell me both (has both in stock), shoots them both and lies them both to make it more difficult. So shooting should make my decision easy I hope. If MPX faster (I don't care about recoil) then MPX or the other way around the JP. If JP I only have to decide on barrel length. Dealer has 16" in stock while I think (opinion Josh Froelich in interview!) that 14.5 is way to go?

Since I'm new to the game I also wonder if (like pistols) you should stick to one platform and practice until death or if it would be relatively easy to go from a blow back to a sig and vice versa. So many questions if you are new to PCC... Want to shoot 🙂 Tnx all!

Here in the US, most people choose barrel length on rifles based on legality issues.  The minimum barrel length on a rifle is 16" unless you want to jump through some hoops, bureaucratic paperwork, and pay a $200 tax stamp to have the rifle approved as a Short Barreled Rifle. So for anyone who likes to play with their gear and change things up, the logical choice would be a 16". Then you can have an unwelded brake and remove/install it any time. If we buy the 14.5" version, the brake must be welded on permanently. So even though the 14.5" swings maybe 5% faster. many Americans would choose the 16" for convenience.  I don't know what laws you deal with in the EU that may or may not influence your choice, but generally speaking, shorter is preferable for a PCC. Go 14.5".

40 minutes ago, ClangClang said:

Here in the US, most people choose barrel length on rifles based on legality issues.  The minimum barrel length on a rifle is 16" unless you want to jump through some hoops, bureaucratic paperwork, and pay a $200 tax stamp to have the rifle approved as a Short Barreled Rifle. So for anyone who likes to play with their gear and change things up, the logical choice would be a 16". Then you can have an unwelded brake and remove/install it any time. If we buy the 14.5" version, the brake must be welded on permanently. So even though the 14.5" swings maybe 5% faster. many Americans would choose the 16" for convenience.  I don't know what laws you deal with in the EU that may or may not influence your choice, but generally speaking, shorter is preferable for a PCC. Go 14.5".

Tnx! we need a minimum overall length but 14.5 will do!

Agreed.  I would not consider the use  by a top shooter as proof that one brand or design is better than another.  Max L crushed us all with his Frankengun.  Max L crushes all of his with his Limcat Tron.  I would not bet against him with a Kel Tec Sub 2000.  Sponsorship opportunities are normally the deciding factor for them.  Don't believe me?  Go ask Eric Grauffel at his new EG/CZ training facility in France.  😉  

Yep... many shooters have reported that they feel considerably less recoil impulse from the MPX and the same or less dot bounce, but the actual times change little or not at all.  I much prefer my MPX to any blowback I've tried, but I don't think it makes me a faster competitor.  I love the non-existent recoil impulse and the great reliability.  Yes, reliability.  Mine has been as or more reliable than any of the blowback guns at matches.  

Run reasonably hot ammo (I don't reload - only shoot factory 115, so it's typically pretty hot), and clean the gun.  Two pretty simple things, and the MPX will treat you to fun stage after fun stage.  

I guess that’s the funny thing in a match there is no recoil for me just dot movement, my son shoots a frankengun with a blitkreig and I shoot a JP with SCS he says his is softer I can’t tell the difference. We shoot the same ammo he loads for us ,both guns tuned for it, there seems to be a chance that it’s just what each person likes and what there expectations are . Also he is much better shooter then I am so he has a better feel for the difference. 

10 hours ago, TNREDNECK said:

I guess that’s the funny thing in a match there is no recoil for me just dot movement, my son shoots a frankengun with a blitkreig and I shoot a JP with SCS he says his is softer I can’t tell the difference. We shoot the same ammo he loads for us ,both guns tuned for it, there seems to be a chance that it’s just what each person likes and what there expectations are . Also he is much better shooter then I am so he has a better feel for the difference. 

Yes---dot movement-- That's the key issue, IMO. I'm trying to decide between the jp and mpx and it's a tough decision, so many happy shooters of both systems. I've shot a jp, now I'm trying to find an mpx to shoot.

So. Both shoot perfectly. MPX softer, faster I don't know. I decided to buy both, shoot both, make my final decision after months of shooting and experimenting. Them, I sell one and buy a (used) back-up from preferred rifle.

It's the expensive way maybe but dealer says there is such a shortage in PCC rifles that I will loose nearly nothing. And I want to be sure, getting older and want the best...

Keep you all informed. Tnx to all who contributed, much appreciated!

5 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

So. Both shoot perfectly. MPX softer, faster I don't know. I decided to buy both, shoot both, make my final decision after months of shooting and experimenting. Them, I sell one and buy a (used) back-up from preferred rifle.

It's the expensive way maybe but dealer says there is such a shortage in PCC rifles that I will loose nearly nothing. And I want to be sure, getting older and want the best...

Keep you all informed. Tnx to all who contributed, much appreciated!

good idea...

be sure and post pictures