Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP GMR-15 or Sig MPX PCC final considerations

In Europe we can have max 5 guns so I can only have 1 PCC Rifle (I have 2 production guns and 2 standard) so it better be good. I basically choose the MPX PCC for what I have read but... My dealer just got the JP's in and the Sigs might take him another 2 Months... In doubt again. Mostly because parts for Sigs can be troublesome I heard in Europe.. Both are good... Sig softer shooting (faster?)... JP superior as for reliability... Choices choices. Thursday I am going to shoot MPX (gen 2 I believe) vs an AR to make up my mind. 

I am especially interested into people that shot both, made a choice and why to help me make up my mind! Appreciated!!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shot both and liked both. You're in a great position that either is a great shooting gun out of the box. For me I ended up going with JP, twice, because I of the issues both Forum and local people had with their MPX. I'm sure there are plenty that haven't had problems but I didn't want to play the odds. 

I ran a JP for approximately 1 year.  I had a spare AR9 built with mostly JP parts that I used to test different configurations. After shooting a SIG i ended up buying one which I've been running for approximately 8 months. I took out my JP and shot both guns back to back. My observations are follows:

- dot bounce on both guns is about the same. On the JP I have the short stroke heavy buffer setup. Maybe the SIG is a little less but the difference is so small and I can't actualize much gain in a match (master class USPSA).  I'm shooting the same splits on targets under 20yds

- My JP is significantly heavier than my SIG (guessing around 1lb +)

- the recoil is different between the guns. Although dot bounce is the same the felt or way the gun recoils is significantly different. SIG is definitely superior in my opinion

- My JP runs no matter what. I hardly ever cleaned it, shot it for a couple of matches with a broken firing pin and didn't even know about it. Super reliable. My SIG has given me no problems but maintenance is definitely something one has to take care of. I ultrasonic clean every 1,000 rounds. You need to pay attention to the ammo you're loading

The SIG in my opinion is like a top end open gun. You have to understand that and treat it as such. It requires attention.  After having shot both guns extensively I now compete with the SIG. The lighter weight and different recoil is definitely more superior in my opinion. You can't go wrong with either gun.  Good luck

Hello,

I went with a jp and am very happy with it. I am not a master shooter and probably never will be so you need to weigh that in my choice.

A friend has the mpx and it is a nice gun, He is a better shooter than me but I beat him about half the time because he has ammo problems.

Last week he had two malfunctions on one stage and had to take a 25 second score which let me beat him in the overall.

The jp will run my uspsa ammo loaded long or factory 115 grain.

I like the reliability of the jp and for my skill level I can't see an advantage to the mpx and the initial cost for the mpx and gear is greater.

Tim

I have both AR9 and Sig MPX gen2 and MPX PCC...

i am a lefty and AR9 doesn’t have a good lower that I can find with great ambi mag release button.

Odinworks has a very nice enlarge mag rel button that I am using with the MPX and they are great!

i have been competing with sig MPX for almost a yr now.... the gen2 MPX gave me a lot of trouble but the newest MPX pcc has been no issues!  Rob from inleadwetrust was very helpful and actually fixed my issues with the gen 2 which is now my primary backup.

my AR9 has been the most reliable gun I ever own.  Has not cleaned it after 5k and still shoots very well!

i do prefer the MPX because of ambi mag release and a little softer than AR9.

hope this helps!

good luck

My first question would be if you are looking at a Gen 3 MPX or an older Gen 2.  If a Gen 3 I will tell you that one of my main shooting buddies (GM) Just switched from years of shooting JPs exclusively to the new Sig and he is amazed by it.  Not just the recoil/dot movement but the balance of the weapon as well. 

My personal experience with a Gen 2 MPX and a JP is that above any other weapon, in any division the MPX leaves me giggling like a child at the end of every stage.  If it runs.  I went down the dark path of trying to find the softest, flattest, 125.1PF ammo.  The people around me whose MPXs ran were running hot or factory ammunition. The MPX at 150PF is flatter and softer than the best tuned AR9 at 130 PF.  It is just a function of their designs.  I have gone back to stouter loads and my problems have gone away.  I will say I have not heard of anybody having reliability issues with the Gen 3s but they haven't been out long enough for a large sample to have a significant number of rounds through them.  The Sig cleaning is more involved and if you put a decent number of rounds through them you will need to replace gas rings, extractors and springs much as you would with an AR.  Many will also want to change the trigger and the stock.  Some are okay with them though. 

The JP is the energizer bunny.  It just keeps running.  It is utterly reliable other than an occasional firing pin breakage but the carbine still works fine even with it broken.  You will just find it when you are cleaning the gun.  the JP is noticeably heavier and more specifically feels more nose heavy to me.  The handguard while feeling, great carries a lot of weight.  You can tune these to shoot pretty flat and there seem to be a couple of options on how to do that.  The trigger on the JP is light years ahead of the Sig.  The Sig Gen 3 has a 4 1/2 lb Timney trigger that I found heavy and did not like at all.  The regular JP trigger is probably a little over 2 - 2 1/2 lbs and has a great break to it.  On the flip side, I think the MPX magazines, while far more expensive than Glock mags, are also much better suited to running 40 plus round magazines.  If you are happy with a 33 round magazine this would be a non-issue.    

In the end, they are both great choices.  At this point I would say the JP has the proven reliability record as the Gen 3 MPXs are still new to market.  The JP is easier to service and all you would need to do if you bought one would be to put an optic on it.  All that said, I have both in the safe but for our local match tomorrow I am definitely bringing the Sig.  If this was a major match that I was traveling to...... I would grab the JP.  I am interested to see how the Gen 3s hold up though!

I hope this helps some and of course, it is just one man's opinion.  🙂             

Went to my dealer to see the JP. Amazing quality! Lighter than expected. Trigger (standard) fantastic! Also checked the C-more sight 6 MOA. Like it!

Now shooting the new gen Sig PCC against an AR on Thursday, can't wait. 

All you have to do is install a smoke hand guard and the weight and nose heavy issue of JP is gone , they just run, are accurate, easy to get parts, easy to clean . Have never had I problem from my JP 10 k rounds, the guys at our club with MPX have trouble getting them to run consistently they seem to be ammo sensitive. But when they run do fine , it’s a no brained if you ask me JP

if you want to know for sure just watch someone clean his MPX then a JP . 

21 minutes ago, TNREDNECK said:

All you have to do is install a smoke hand guard and the weight and nose heavy issue of JP is gone , they just run, are accurate, easy to get parts, easy to clean . Have never had I problem from my JP 10 k rounds, the guys at our club with MPX have trouble getting them to run consistently they seem to be ammo sensitive. But when they run do fine , it’s a no brained if you ask me JP

Yeah, hear bad stories about them being more difficult to clean! (and more often) Parts is also bit more difficult. Hmmm I loved the JP in my hands (16"), and that standard trigger was already good to go. Anyway, 5 more days to make the decision. Shooting session Thursday with both will make me decide. Tnx! 

2 hours ago, TNREDNECK said:

Ive seen quite a few JPs with issues too, so they're definitely not immune. MPXes do seem to have more issues though, but once you figure them out, they seem to run fine.

MPXes are a little more ammo sensitive, but from what Ive seen in the two I have, its really more powder dependent, since they're gas operated, they seem to like slower powders.

My carbine runs great down to 105-ish pf with 115gr bullets and VV3n37. 147gr bullet and VV320 barely runs at 130pf.

Personally, I dont mind a little bit of initial tinkering out of the box of it runs 100% after that and since my MPXes both run great now and they shoot softer than my 9mm AR, it's an easy choice for me. Also, ARs with Glock mags are just fugly. :)

So this is what we have experienced at our club, JP out of the box no tinkering 100% , runs any ammo reliable, accurate, easy to work on, parts easy to obtain and affordable.

MPX if you get a (good one ) run great soft recoil , hard to clean ,parts hard to get and expensive , ammo sensitive.and cost more to buy

you decide. !!!

Henk, you did bring up something that may be unique to you which is parts availability.  Those of us in the US can rely on In Lead We Trust for quick access to many Sig parts.  Importing them into the Netherlands would probably not be an option for you.  Perhaps there is someone similar in the EU you could use?  

6 minutes ago, Neomet said:

Henk, you did bring up something that may be unique to you which is parts availability.  Those of us in the US can rely on In Lead We Trust for quick access to many Sig parts.  Importing them into the Netherlands would probably not be an option for you.  Perhaps there is someone similar in the EU you could use?  

This is what I will learn on Thursday when I shoot them side by side with my dealer. Also my biggest question. Hope so...