Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW Extracter for 9mm

hump

Ran Aftecs for a long time then

the last couple of build just used EGW or colt extractors

No problems and less parts to clean and keep track of 

Either a properly tuned EGW or aftec will work fine

EGW extractor and firing pin stop in my 2 9mm open guns. 

In my experience, the egw is easier to tune than the aftec! And no additional parts to loose when you remove the extractor! 

Edited by Stymie12000

I just fit two Aftecs and one EGW HD in 9mm Open pistols.  The Aftecs went right in and worked perfectly.  The only thing I had to do was round the edges on the right side of the firing pin stop.  The HD was a nightmare.  I still cannot get enough grip on the case.  I'm already struggling to get it down the tunnel.  If I bend it anymore, I doubt it will go in.  I find that strange, because they work beautifully in 45.

3 hours ago, zzt said:

I just fit two Aftecs and one EGW HD in 9mm Open pistols.  The Aftecs went right in and worked perfectly.  The only thing I had to do was round the edges on the right side of the firing pin stop.  The HD was a nightmare.  I still cannot get enough grip on the case.  I'm already struggling to get it down the tunnel.  If I bend it anymore, I doubt it will go in.  I find that strange, because they work beautifully in 45.

File down the pad a little bit at a time to add more tension.  

I love the EGW HD extractor.  Aftecs seem to work good for most guns but I got tired of the retaining cup breaking at inopportune times and paying $25 for them.  

Running 9 major, I've had the best luck with running the extractor with as much tension as possible that will still allow reliable feeding with a 7# spring and then run an 8#.  On one of my 9major guns, I simply could not get enough tension with the Aftec.

Edited by d_striker

I ordered an EGW which should get here tomorrow. Thanks for the input. I am currently running a 8lb recoil spring. Hopefully I can get reliable extraction without having too much tension. 

23 hours ago, hump said:

I ordered an EGW which should get here tomorrow. Thanks for the input. I am currently running a 8lb recoil spring. Hopefully I can get reliable extraction without having too much tension. 

I've found that tuning the extractor for 9major can be a little tedious to get running 100%.  But it's worth it when you finally get it dialed in.  

Don't go crazy tuning the "hook".  The less you fiddle with the EGW HD the better.  Just break the sharp edge on the lead in.  Also, barely round the bottom edge of the hook.  It comes from EGW pretty square.  You just want to BARELY round it.  A good needle file is the perfect tool for both of these tasks. 

I've made the mistake of taking too much off this corner and then run into extraction issues.  When the barrel unlocks, the case is pulled down slightly on the breach face and it seems the more of that corner surface area you have, the better.  You just want to break the sharp corner from digging into the case.

I've gotten away with not having to file down the pad at all a couple of times.  On a couple others, I had to file the pad down a few thousandths at a time to get more tension.  Every slide is slightly different.  

Edited by d_striker

4 hours ago, d_striker said:

I've found that tuning the extractor for 9major can be a little tedious to get running 100%.  But it's worth it when you finally get it dialed in.  

Don't go crazy tuning the "hook".  The less you fiddle with the EGW HD the better.  Just break the sharp edge on the lead in.  Also, barely round the bottom edge of the hook.  It comes from EGW pretty square.  You just want to BARELY round it.  A good needle file is the perfect tool for both of these tasks. 

I've made the mistake of taking too much off this corner and then run into extraction issues.  When the barrel unlocks, the case is pulled down slightly on the breach face and it seems the more of that corner surface area you have, the better.  You just want to break the sharp corner from digging into the case.

I've gotten away with not having to file down the pad at all a couple of times.  On a couple others, I had to file the pad down a few thousandths at a time to get more tension.  Every slide is slightly different.  

Just got back from the range and the EGW HD extractor was flawless. It was easy to tune and I am going to order another one for a spare. 

On 3/6/2019 at 6:23 PM, hump said:

Just got back from the range and the EGW HD extractor was flawless. It was easy to tune and I am going to order another one for a spare. 

What did you do to tune yours?

I’ve read thd description for this extractor a few times talking about how the metal available when the 1911 came out is inferior to what we have today etc etc. and thought it sounded legit. But Adam from atlas has a new video out on extractors and says the opposite. Spring steel is much more stout, capable of holding tension for a lot longer then the new ones that are all made out of tool steel. He said the aftec is the only one still made of spring steel, and that’s part of the reason it works so well. He had to beat the spring steel extractor with a hammer in a vise to bend it, compared to the tool steel extractor he could bend by hand with it just hanging it out of the extractor tunnel.  

He was saying that they are in the process of coming out with a spring steel extractor in the next year, and also said a few other companies also are. 

So idk what to believe. Adam is usually spot on with his videos. Not saying the EGW extractor is bad at all. I’m thinking about replacing the one in my limited gun with the EGW HD soon. Lots of good reviews. But what EGW says and what Adam says are the exact opposite. I run an aftec in my open gun. 

Edited by Jfitz427

14 hours ago, muncie21 said:

Here's the best part about EGW extractors-

" Made from Unobtanium, only available from EGW inc. this stuff is a century ahead of common spring steel"

Great company, with great sense of humor to go with it.

extracter?   made from  Unobtanium .of coarse it was made for aliens .😉 

Edited by yigal

yigal, Unobtainium (correct spelling) does not exist.  It is a slang word used to describe a substance that is either really, really hard to get, or does not exist at all.  It means not obtainable.  Here is a dictionary description:  "a highly desirable material that is hypothetical, scientifically impossible, extremely rare, costly, or fictional, or has some of these properties in combination."

42 minutes ago, zzt said:

yigal, Unobtainium (correct spelling) does not exist.  It is a slang word used to describe a substance that is either really, really hard to get, or does not exist at all.  It means not obtainable.  Here is a dictionary description:  "a highly desirable material that is hypothetical, scientifically impossible, extremely rare, costly, or fictional, or has some of these properties in combination."

thank u  .

unfortunately i know this .😀 its part of my profession.😉

probably their extractor made of better than  s80  steel.

Edited by yigal

16 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

I’ve read thd description for this extractor a few times talking about how the metal available when the 1911 came out is inferior to what we have today etc etc. and thought it sounded legit. But Adam from atlas has a new video out on extractors and says the opposite. Spring steel is much more stout, capable of holding tension for a lot longer then the new ones that are all made out of tool steel. He said the aftec is the only one still made of spring steel, and that’s part of the reason it works so well. He had to beat the spring steel extractor with a hammer in a vise to bend it, compared to the tool steel extractor he could bend by hand with it just hanging it out of the extractor tunnel.  

He was saying that they are in the process of coming out with a spring steel extractor in the next year, and also said a few other companies also are. 

So idk what to believe. Adam is usually spot on with his videos. Not saying the EGW extractor is bad at all. I’m thinking about replacing the one in my limited gun with the EGW HD soon. Lots of good reviews. But what EGW says and what Adam says are the exact opposite. I run an aftec in my open gun. 

We use EGW extractors today in both 9mm and 40 cal

The aftecs were great for a long time, but now have issues.

The fitting of extractors is complicated.  The distance from the FP Stop and the brechface is critical.  Not all slides and extractors will match. 

Extractors should be made to fit slides.  We are working on selling these as a pair. 

Any extractor that works for 50k plus is a good extractor.  The tool steel extractors need adjustment more often but can work very well.  The spring steel extractors are ideal but they are not made for 9mm and 40 cal today.  Our experience with aftecs as of late is failure rates at 4k mark.  

Side note: Extractors should be fit.  If you drop one in and it works for 50k you got lucky.  They are the most critical part in the gun and take lots of abuse so checking them often is key.  

Hope the helps

Adam

On 3/12/2019 at 11:45 AM, yigal said:

more simple way  to write that  its the best  metal for extractor ? so  that  somebody like me with iq 75 will understand😉

Hell I can quote from Wiki:

"Unobtainium" has come to be used as a synonym for "unobtainable" among people who are neither science fiction fans nor engineers to denote an object that actually exists, but which is very hard to obtain either because of high price (sometimes referred to as "unaffordium") or limited availability. It usually refers to a very high-endand desirable product.