Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SHOT Show: SIG unveils Romeo 2

MemphisMechanic

I'm trying to get some more information on this now. Recoil magazine also put out an article today that mentioned this and the "Romeo1Pro," which looks mostly like the existing R1 plus Shroud. Given that the R2 and R1Pro weren't in the 2019 catalog or front and center at Shot, I wouldn't expect to see a release in Q1, but I have to think they would be striving to get this out there soon given the M17 DPP footprint. 

Phil confirmed that SIG is migrating to DPP footprint. 

I do know SIG has at least one more competition related optics trick up its sleeve. I'll absolutely share as soon as I see anything public. I hate waiting! 

So all of Sig's guns (X-Series, RX, etc) will be going to the DPP footprint cut for the Romeo2/Romeo1Pro/presumably whatever optic Max Michel has been developing as well? No more R1-specific footprints either on the guns or available as an optic?

I'll be interested to see which optic they choose to supply with the RX pistols once the new sights officially launch. I do quite like the look of that R2.

Good news for those of us with RX/X-Series guns with the current R1 footprint - L&M Precision is offering relatively inexpensive milling to convert the R1 footprint to the DPP footprint;

https://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/product/convert-your-sig-rx-to-trijicon-rmr-or-dp-pro/

On 1/27/2019 at 10:11 PM, Rudukai13 said:

I'll be interested to see which optic they choose to supply with the RX pistols once the new sights officially launch. I do quite like the look of that R2.

Good news for those of us with RX/X-Series guns with the current R1 footprint - L&M Precision is offering relatively inexpensive milling to convert the R1 footprint to the DPP footprint;

https://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/product/convert-your-sig-rx-to-trijicon-rmr-or-dp-pro/

But having someone mill the slide will void the warranty. I'm assuming (hoping) Sig will stop making the very problem-some Romeo1. So I'm hoping that Sig themselves offer the service to mill the RX slides to the new footprint. That would be a good way to keep me as a customer, as I have 4 Sig's with Romeo's (3 RX's, 1 X5) and have had a ton of issues with the Romeo1's. I like the Romeo1, when it's working. But it's not working far too often.

OTOH, who is to say the new Romeo's will be any better than the Romeo1's?

4 hours ago, jejb said:

But having someone mill the slide will void the warranty. I'm assuming (hoping) Sig will stop making the very problem-some Romeo1. So I'm hoping that Sig themselves offer the service to mill the RX slides to the new footprint. That would be a good way to keep me as a customer, as I have 4 Sig's with Romeo's (3 RX's, 1 X5) and have had a ton of issues with the Romeo1's. I like the Romeo1, when it's working. But it's not working far too often.

OTOH, who is to say the new Romeo's will be any better than the Romeo1's?

So mainly what kind of problem did you have with R1? Battery?

Edited by takamireg

On 1/29/2019 at 5:03 PM, takamireg said:

So mainly what kind of problem did you have with R1? Battery?

I had broken glass on 4 or 5 of them. That issue does seem fixed on the Gen 5, or at least it has not happened for a while. I had one that went through batteries every 3 weeks of EDC on full brigtness, compared to others I EDC'd the same way that would last 8 months. I had one get the glass badly pock marked, presumably from brass ejection. Latest one was the MOTAC not working correctly on my new Legion RX with a Sept 2018 born on date. You had to tap the side of the optic or make some exaggerated gestures with the gun to get it turn on in MOTAC mode. Just drawing it would not do it. Sent it in and they sent it back, saying it was working to specs! I knew better, since I owned a bunch of them. So I complained up a level at Sig CS and they sent me another replacement, which is likely a refurbished unit that someone else had some problems with, too, like the 3 week battery life replacement above.

Never had a battery or battery door issue, except for the battery eater issue.

Edited by jejb

13 hours ago, jejb said:

I had broken glass on 4 or 5 of them. That issue does seem fixed on the Gen 5, or at least it has not happened for a while. I had one that went through batteries every 3 weeks of EDC on full brigtness, compared to others I EDC'd the same way that would last 8 months. I had one get the glass badly pock marked, presumably from brass ejection. Latest one was the MOTAC not working correctly on my new Legion RX with a Sept 2018 born on date. You had to tap the side of the optic or make some exaggerated gestures with the gun to get it turn on in MOTAC mode. Just drawing it would not do it. Sent it in and they sent it back, saying it was working to specs! I knew better, since I owned a bunch of them. So I complained up a level at Sig CS and they sent me another replacement, which is likely a refurbished unit that someone else had some problems with, too, like the 3 week battery life replacement above.

Ouch!

On 1/31/2019 at 7:57 AM, jejb said:

That sucks... Really sucks

4 hours ago, jejb said:

Yeah, it really does. I want badly to like the Romeo. When it's working, I like it. But I've just had far too many issues with them. I feel like it's just a matter of time until the next failure.

That’s exactly why I’ve had my X5s milled to accept the delta point. Not too hard of a machine job either. 

I hear you. And it may come to that someday soon. I just hate to lose my Sig warranty by doing that.

I'm hearing some not complimentary things about the new DP sight. Haven't looked into it very hard, though.

Edited by jejb

I understand the concern with the warranty. OTOH if the machine shop does not weaken the slide by removing too much material and/or removing material in critical locations, it should never fail. Sig has issues with products, but as a Sig Armorer I have never seen a slide itself fail. Also, that work will not affect the FCU nor the grip which is "consumable" anyway. 

I see the great issue issue being the years and quantities that they produced pistols and R1s that had a proprietary footprint to force people to THEIR optic, then they say "Nah, we will now accommodate the strong competitor's product."  What infuriates me about Sig is: 1) Their extreme delay between product announcements and their actual availability - remember the P320 Target?!  and 2) THEIR DECISION-MAKING IS VERY POOR.

Got that off my chest. That is all.

Edited by DCSigCZ

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2019 at 11:11 PM, Rudukai13 said:

Have you used these guys? I have an X Carry with an RMR on a plate and would love to have it machined to take the RMR directly.

6 hours ago, benlineberry said:

Have you used these guys? I have an X Carry with an RMR on a plate and would love to have it machined to take the RMR directly.

I have not personally, but they have a very highly respected reputation. I wouldn’t hesitate to have them work on your pistol

During my quest to find a red dot for my X5 I had placed a  Romeo 1 in my wish list at Optic Planet so it would be easy to compare prices. I log on yesterday and checking some other items and got a notice from the that the manufacturer had discontinued one of my items and it was no longer available, it was the Romeo 1.  

I ended up going with the Vortex Razor mounted on a springer plate.

DK

1 hour ago, LawDog324 said:

During my quest to find a red dot for my X5 I had placed a  Romeo 1 in my wish list at Optic Planet so it would be easy to compare prices. I log on yesterday and checking some other items and got a notice from the that the manufacturer had discontinued one of my items and it was no longer available, it was the Romeo 1.  

Perhaps that can be taken as a sign of a near-term release, or at least the announcement, of its replacement(s)? I'm especially interested in the ROMEO2 and hope it's a good competitor to the DPP and RMR.