Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked slide.

blacklab

I was cleaning my open 9mm tonight and noticed a crack in the back of the slide. Is this something I should be worried about or will it be alright? I never seen it before and don’t know when it happened. It’s used for 3 gun and I only use minor loads. 

78BB9545-9AA4-4354-972B-93CFA6ED90F4.jpeg

I was cleaning my open 9mm tonight and noticed a crack in the back of the slide. Is this something I should be worried about or will it be alright? I never seen it before and don’t know when it happened. It’s used for 3 gun and I only use minor loads. 
78BB9545-9AA4-4354-972B-93CFA6ED90F4.thumb.jpeg.9872f45598a0353d6b3823ede3235666.jpeg
I think it's time for a new slide. send it back to the manufacturer

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That’s a weird crack, can’t tell how shallow they scalloped that last cut but if it’s too close to extractor that’s the reason. If it’s symmetrical with the others in depth then it’s a manufacturing issue if there’s no interference with the hammer or it hasn’t been permed for some odd reason

1 hour ago, aandabooks said:

I would be very concerned about that crack. 

1 hour ago, Rnlinebacker said:

I think it's time for a new slide

Not what I wanted to hear.😡 The gun runs good so I'd rather not have to get a new slide fitted and go through break in. Is it something that could be welded or should I just use it as a paper weight? 

3 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Not what I wanted to hear.😡 The gun runs good so I'd rather not have to get a new slide fitted and go through break in. Is it something that could be welded or should I just use it as a paper weight? 

She’s a door jam now. 

Had one crack in the same place and the little chunk break off on a open gun last year.   Ran it for several months with the chunk missing.  That little

piece really doesn't do much---just supports a bit of the extractor and the corner of the firing pin stop.  Eventually you will need 

a new slide.  Don't have the new one scalloped quite so deep.   I suppose you could give welding a try,  nothing to lose.  

Edited by open17

I suppose you could give welding a try,  nothing to lose.  

Can't make it worse, but that dude is done. New slide time, but the weld might make it last a little longer.

My recommendation would be replace it now during the offseason rather than wait. Because when it fully fails in the middle of the season and you are suddenly gun-less, that would be much more unfortunate.

Hello: I am running one right now that has the piece missing from the same spot. There have been a bunch of slides that have cracked in the same spot on different pistols around here. I think it was a bad batch of slides coming from the same manufacturer that many builders are using. My slide has about 6,000 rounds on it with the piece missing with no problems. Thanks, Eric

IMG_1945.jpg

Edited by Aircooled6racer

31 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I am running one right now that has the piece missing from the same spot. There have been a bunch of slides that have cracked in the same spot on different pistols around here. I think it was a bad batch of slides coming from the same manufacturer that many builders are using. My slide has about 6,000 rounds on it with the piece missing with no problems. Thanks, Eric

IMG_1945.jpg

What PF loads are you running through it?

I am not surprised that part of the slide cracked given how low the cuts are in that area. That portion is cracking because the firing pin stop gets beat around within its pocket by the extractor. Every shot that is fired the firing pin stop gets a tremendous amount of front to back and side to side movement bashed into it by the extractor. Can it run with that section cracked or completely broken off? Sure. But you might start having extraction or chambering issues because the extractor isn't being restrained properly anymore. Barring some serious welding and machining effort the most common fix for that issue is to replace the whole slide and ask them to not hog out the back of the slide so much. You need some meat back there for a reason. There are plenty of other places on the slide to take weight out of without circumventing the mechanical integrity of the slide.

Hello: The problem is not the machining of the slide since other slides have been breaking in the same place even limited slides. Crappy material is the problem since you can see the grain properties that make up the slide. These are not the same material that the old slides were made from. I have not had one feeding issue with my pistol at all. The slide will get replaced when I rebarrel it in another 40,000 rounds or so. The pistol has over 30,000 rounds on it so far. Thanks, Eric

46 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

Cracks are so common I don't even care anymore.  I'd shoot it until it proves it's done because I've learned the next slide is just going to crack too so I don't get in a rush replacing 'em anymore.

Pretty much. Between me and my wife we usually crack one a season. 

That being said, I haven't been able to crack PT slides.  I have one of the originals and have beat the crap out of it (and it has a ton of material removed). It has outlasted any other slide I've had. 

6 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

That being said, I haven't been able to crack PT slides.  I have one of the originals and have beat the crap out of it (and it has a ton of material removed). It has outlasted any other slide I've had. 

Do you have any idea why they aren't making them any more? That is what I have on my current gun and I asked about getting another, and they told me not in production.

Hello: Slides are kinda tricky to make so I think that is why some companies are just buying them from the same supplier which are the ones that are breaking in the same spot. This problem has only shown up in the past couple of years. Not sure if the slides are even made here or not. Thanks, Eric