Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double-Alpha PSP 'Anti-Wobble/Spill' Brush

After trying the shellplate bearing kit, delrin ball and using cable ties I still needed to use my finger to steady the case to completely prevent powder spill on shellplate indexing.  I was thinking about making some kind of spring-loaded fibreglass rod to replace my finger, then I saw the DAA PSP brush mentioned here & thought I'd give it a try.  I made this video showing the 'before' & 'after'.  See what you think. 

I had to trim the brush a little to stop it pushing the case in too much (otherwise it would catch the bullet dropper). I also read here that the brush breaks-in a little after 100 rounds or so.

11 hours ago, roxfo said:

After trying the shellplate bearing kit, delrin ball and using cable ties I still needed to use my finger to steady the case to completely prevent powder spill on shellplate indexing.  I was thinking about making some kind of spring-loaded fibreglass rod to replace my finger, then I saw the DAA PSP brush mentioned here & thought I'd give it a try.  I made this video showing the 'before' & 'after'.  See what you think. 

I had to trim the brush a little to stop it pushing the case in too much (otherwise it would catch the bullet dropper). I also read here that the brush breaks-in a little after 100 rounds or so.

Near as I can see that gizmo did nothing but make one case wobble less. Looked like things were working fine before.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Near as I can see that gizmo did nothing but make one case wobble less. Looked like things were working fine before.

Precisely.  And that wobble caused powder spill (when there is powder in the cases).  So it stops powder from spilling - a problem that shellplate bearings, delrin balls and cable ties has so far failed to solve. 

25 minutes ago, Brassaholic13 said:

More items to lighten your wallet and not address the issue.  If you want to smooth the indexing, tune the index spring.  It's way over powered and is what causes the snap.  Everything else is a gimmick.

How do you tune the index spring?

1 hour ago, Brassaholic13 said:

More items to lighten your wallet and not address the issue.  If you want to smooth the indexing, tune the index spring.  It's way over powered and is what causes the snap.  Everything else is a gimmick.

With the 650 the spring is only a minor part.   The cases tip (especially rifle cases) as the shellplate indexes rapidly because centrifugal motion throws them out and away from their slots in the shellplate, causing them to be able to tip outward.  The buttons realign them at each station, but preventing them from coming out of the slots in the first place keeps them more stable through the whole journey. 

Edited by chevrofreak

On 1/5/2019 at 11:58 PM, Sarge said:

The case that would have powder spilling out is still shaking ie  no help.

On 1/6/2019 at 10:53 PM, abigger04 said:

How do you tune the index spring?

First, have a spare on hand in case you cut off too much.

Then, remove the entire bottom "base" coil.  From there, start cutting 1/4 coil off at a time.  Usually 1/4 or 1/2 of a coil will suffice.  The goal is to remove tension from the coil.  The spring's only job is to keep the index arm from dragging the shell plate backwards.  Any pressure more than that only contributes to shell plate snap.  Bearings/O-rings, and low mass detent balls are also gimmicks.  

On 1/8/2019 at 2:46 AM, AHI said:

The case that would have powder spilling out is still shaking ie  no help.

No, it's steadying the case as it moves from the powder drop to bullet drop on this press. 

It could sit between any of stations 5/6, 6/7 or 7/8 to suit different configurations.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my Arredondo spill brush yesterday. Well the system seems to definitely help Major Powder spills.

I had to trim a little off the leading corner to create a smooth entry but seems to work well so far.

The only negative is inherent in design because it blocks off the seating stage on the 650. This is normally where I pull rounds to test, etc......but that’s minor.  For the price I would recommend giving it a try. Excellent delivery time....thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2019 at 7:37 PM, Jimini said:

Where did you get the blue tabs for your locator buttons?

You buy socks, handkerchieves etc?

I just take the "J" hook, ream the hole so that the Dillon brass locator fits, and trim to length.  The Dillon tabs will bend and weaken or break.  They come in becoming colours, black and white.

The most economical way for indexing is less brutal on a 1050 is to cut one or two turns of the ball spring index.
If you have cut too much spring just add in the spring housing a washer of the right diameter.
Since I did this little operation the indexation is much softer, the powder does not jump out😉🇫🇷🇺🇸

• 1 month later...

Update....I’ve run about 1500 9 mm major through my 650 with the Arredondo foam do dad on my press.

Highly recommend.....spillage greatly reduced...does cause a little friction on the shellplate turning...but a small price to pay.

Try one.....can throw my tiny Zip ties away.....