Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

KKM Hybrid Barrels

SSGJohnV

3 minutes ago, Fo0 said:

I don't see them listed on the site anymore 

We have the non threaded in stock, currently. We are waiting for the next large batch to come in around late May-mid June ish.

The links are here. If you want to pre-order one you can send me an email at JohnV@ShootersConnection.com and we can get you set up. We won't be opening up pre-orders to the site just yet as we want to have a better gauge of when they are coming in before we do that.

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/KKM-355-Bull-Hybrid-5-Threaded-Barrel-P5408.aspx

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/KKM-355-Bull-Hybrid-54-Threaded-Barrel--P5407.aspx

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/KKM-355-Bull-Hybrid-Commander-Threaded-Barrel--P5409.aspx

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/KKM-Bull-Hybrid-Barrel-5-P5406.aspx

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2019 at 7:40 PM, avastcosmicarena said:

Can someone explain the purpose of/theory behind the hybrid barrels for someone unfamiliar? Any links?

Purpose of the barrel is to make the static weight (barrel) heavier while also making the reciprocating weight (slide) lighter. It also makes it much easier to vent gas directly out of the barrel without having the carbon foul up inbetween the slide and barrel. For limited guns, it allows the mounting of the front sight directly to the barrel (sight tracker variant). For mounting a compensator, it lets you shoulder the comp directly to the barrel for a great, solid, fitment.

On 5/27/2019 at 7:11 PM, Fo0 said:

What about KKM hybrid barrels for Glock similar to the old Schuemann barrels used to make - threaded and non threaded?

There are not currently any plans to make any Glock hybrid barrels, unfortunately.

On 6/7/2019 at 8:32 AM, UpYoursPal said:

I see that the barrels are still out of stock.  Any idea when you'll get a new batch in?

Just spoke with KKM yesterday, actually! We will have the next batch coming in around the first week of July, if not a touch sooner.

We will be going live with pre-orders of this batch here very soon! Shoot me an email at johnv@shootersconnection.com and I can notify you when they are up for pre-order, if you like.

On 6/18/2019 at 3:34 AM, Fo0 said:

are these going to be a limited edition or a permanent item?

and what is the latest on the wilson/nowlin ramps

As far as I know these will remain a permanent item. Demand has been high, and production is in batches. That will hopefully be resolved in the next 6 months. We have even more coming in August-September time frame, to INCLUDE some W/N ramps at that time.

Just now, clw42 said:

So what's the consensus on hybrid barrels?  Do they make much of a difference?

The advantages of a hybrid barrel are the following

1. More weight in the barrel (static weight)

2. Less weight on the slide without having to do through cuts (reciprocating weight)

3. Ability to put holes directly in the barrel which is cleaner (no gas or carbon in between slide and barrel), or mount a sight to it (sight tracker)

4. Comp can shoulder directly up against the rib, which is a more solid attachment

5. They look badass!

SV has been building hybrid barrels for years, and builders such as Venom Custom, Rafferty Custom, Akai Customs, McClearn Custom, and Millenium Custom have specialized in Hybrid barrels as well. They are a proven concept, and are here to stay. Whether you think its worth it on YOUR build is up to you, but they do have advantages.

33 minutes ago, SSGJohnV said:

The advantages of a hybrid barrel are the following

1. More weight in the barrel (static weight)

2. Less weight on the slide without having to do through cuts (reciprocating weight)

3. Ability to put holes directly in the barrel which is cleaner (no gas or carbon in between slide and barrel), or mount a sight to it (sight tracker)

4. Comp can shoulder directly up against the rib, which is a more solid attachment

5. They look badass!

SV has been building hybrid barrels for years, and builders such as Venom Custom, Rafferty Custom, Akai Customs, McClearn Custom, and Millenium Custom have specialized in Hybrid barrels as well. They are a proven concept, and are here to stay. Whether you think its worth it on YOUR build is up to you, but they do have advantages.

Thanks.  I get that, it all makes sense. 

From what I understand from some reading around rocket nozzle physics, the angle of the of the cone shape that the port makes (15 degree included angle) and the area of the exit port matters.   The rib lets you do that.  My understanding is that the guy who originally designed this barrel setup used to work in aerospace. I think that's a consideration as well. http://www.braeunig.us/space/propuls.htm is interesting (but a little dense)

Edited by caspian guy

16 hours ago, kk4364 said:

Will there be an option for a front sight cut for those with sight tracker pistols?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Unfortunately not. There is so much variation with what people want, it is not viable for us to approach. There is extra meat on top of the rib to allow a clean flat top, for example, which is what most people do. Accounting for that with a sight cut would be nearly impossible. If you have the equipment and knowledge to build a sight tracker, you most likely have the equipment and knowledge to cut for the front sight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, racegun9 said:

What barrel twist does KKM use with the hybrid 9mm?

I'll be talking to KKM today and ask that question for you! I THINK it's 1:16" but I'm not certain

17 hours ago, clw42 said:

Any sign of the barrels on the 8 July pre-order?

I'll be speaking with them today! We are expecting them this week. They hit a small snag with timing around the 4th of July holiday, but all of the barrels from this coming shipment are made and heat treated. We will be getting them out the door the same day they arrive here!

52 minutes ago, SSGJohnV said:

I'll be speaking with them today! We are expecting them this week. They hit a small snag with timing around the 4th of July holiday, but all of the barrels from this coming shipment are made and heat treated. We will be getting them out the door the same day they arrive here!

Excellent, thanks!

On 7/9/2019 at 11:18 AM, clw42 said:

Excellent, thanks!

I received shipping notifications from KKM yesterday, actually. We are expecting to ship them out when they arrive on Monday or Tuesday. Excited to get them out to our patient customers. 

6 minutes ago, SSGJohnV said:

I received shipping notifications from KKM yesterday, actually. We are expecting to ship them out when they arrive on Monday or Tuesday. Excited to get them out to our patient customers. 

Non-hybrid 5.4 also?