Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

to see what will and wont work in a vr80 from an ar15 I went ahead and gave it a try. the hammer and trigger pins are the basic same size, still need to check the length.- didn't have any ar pins laying around but will get some. the vr80 pins fit very well in a spare ar hammer and trigger I had laying around. the trigger is so close I think it will work but the vr 80 disconnecter was to thick to fit my are trigger. the disconnecter is differ and a ar trigger, disconnecter wont work with the vr80 hammer. The ar hammer is to wide to short and just not long enough on the firing pin side. the selector is all together different size and the selector de tent is on the opposite end.

Just got board and thought I would see what would and wouldn't work.

My wife had a stay in the hospital and just got out so I have some work to catch up on this week and will try to keep us this break in process and tinkering.

Its only been a single shot so far but man I love this gun and will get it all worked out.  Hope we can revive this following on the vr80 and really get it going again.

Soon as I can I want to experiment with making a double stack magazine for it but that may take a while. Got a good friend who has a full machine shop and that helps lol.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/19/2020 at 11:56 AM, AverageJoeShooting said:

Theres really like two choices. Either advanced tactical for the long break or taccom for their break. Earlier in this thread I did a video comparing the long and short breaks from advanced to the first taccom break. I know taccom has a newer ulw break which you can remove the handguard with while installed as well as change the choke tubes with removing the break. I havent tested that one at all.

Advanced tactical almost never comes back in stock with their old style long comps nor the new style sadly. Idk if their production is inefficient or they're trying to control supply. I'm pretty close to giving up on Advanced Tactical. I'm also seeing the ULW but just hate the look. I had the CSS GK01 on my Saiga which worked pretty well, difference wasn't astronomical but definitely noticeable. 

On 2/20/2020 at 7:52 AM, GSonnen said:

V6 Muzzle Brakes is about to release a brake for the VR80.  I've shot a Saiga with one of their brakes and it was amazing.  I spoke with them and they are planning to release the brake this month or early March.

Also, Hayes Custom is working on a mid barrel comp.  

Don't the V6 dip the muzzle too much? Also don't like the look of the V6 😆

@aandabooks posted a video on a comp he or his friend machined which seemed to work pretty well on all stock internals. He also mentioned advanced tactical comps tend to spread more of the shot than his? But anyways, tried contacting him on multiple channels (Youtube, here, FB) with 0 reply once I asked "where can I buy one?" The ULW might be the way to go at this point but I don't want to rush into a marginal performing muzzle device for the money they cost. 

On 2/21/2020 at 4:00 PM, Nelsonh said:

Mine vr80 did not come with the heavy piston and armscor says my SN is in correct, said the number should start out as R0

Mine does not start out with R0, does anybody else have one that the sn does not start out with R0?

Ming came with a heavy piston, can't check the SN right now

On 2/23/2020 at 3:05 PM, Nelsonh said:

I just order the VR80 ULW Muzzle Brake and will see how it does first, I just cant see porting doing much with the lack of pressure a shotgun has but there is no denying how flat the muzzle stayed in the video.

I'm looking at the ULW too, post a video of it when possible please. Have you tried the RT Long comps (old or new) yet? Porting almost always does well on shotguns from what I've seen. Agency arms ported their shotgun and that thing shoots flat. I've also seen many trap & skeet guns ported too and many shooters seem to like it. But again it's all highly perceptive. 

4 minutes ago, Baragasam said:

Advanced tactical almost never comes back in stock with their old style long comps nor the new style sadly. Idk if their production is inefficient or they're trying to control supply. I'm pretty close to giving up on Advanced Tactical. I'm also seeing the ULW but just hate the look. I had the CSS GK01 on my Saiga which worked pretty well, difference wasn't astronomical but definitely noticeable. 

Don't the V6 dip the muzzle too much? Also don't like the look of the V6 😆

@aandabooks posted a video on a comp he or his friend machined which seemed to work pretty well on all stock internals. He also mentioned advanced tactical comps tend to spread more of the shot than his? But anyways, tried contacting him on multiple channels (Youtube, here, FB) with 0 reply once I asked "where can I buy one?" The ULW might be the way to go at this point but I don't want to rush into a marginal performing muzzle device for the money they cost. 

Apparently grizzley gun works also makes M24x1 threaded comps. I don't think anyone knew of them before like 3 posts ago In this thread. 

They have ones in stock that should work. If you get one take a video and post it here so the rest of us can see if it works or not. 

I think the deal with advanced is that they are trying to control the stock and also terrible at production. So that combination makes it so the comps are never in stock. 

Also I keep seeing that the shot pattern spreads out with advanced stuff but I'm close to saying that it simple does not matter. I've had no issues using a mod choke and knocking over steel at 50 yards in competition. 

1 minute ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

Apparently grizzley gun works also makes M24x1 threaded comps. I don't think anyone knew of them before like 3 posts ago In this thread. 

They have ones in stock that should work. If you get one take a video and post it here so the rest of us can see if it works or not. 

I think the deal with advanced is that they are trying to control the stock and also terrible at production. So that combination makes it so the comps are never in stock. 

Also I keep seeing that the shot pattern spreads out with advanced stuff but I'm close to saying that it simple does not matter. I've had no issues using a mod choke and knocking over steel at 50 yards in competition. 

That's good to know, I'm running a full choke (perks over a Saiga) and haven't tested it on skeet shooting yet. I think the most viable option at this point is the ULW. Seems to be the next best thing when compared to the long comp. Hopefully @Nelsonh get around to one soon! 

1 hour ago, Baragasam said:

I've got a Grizzly Gunworks "Defcon 1" threaded brake inbound.  They ship from Canada, so it should be here next week.  

I have run an AT RIA "Short" comp (old style).  It made the shotgun front heavy and did not provide enough recoil mitigation for my liking.  It did spread shot about 20% more than no brake

I have been using the TACCOM brake since last fall.  It is light weight, but not terribly effective at recoil mitigation.  It does not deform the shot pattern.

I'll report to the group once I get my Grizzly brake installed and run it through few matches.

49 minutes ago, GSonnen said:

I've got a Grizzly Gunworks "Defcon 1" threaded brake inbound.  They ship from Canada, so it should be here next week.  

I have run an AT RIA "Short" comp (old style).  It made the shotgun front heavy and did not provide enough recoil mitigation for my liking.  It did spread shot about 20% more than no brake

I have been using the TACCOM brake since last fall.  It is light weight, but not terribly effective at recoil mitigation.  It does not deform the shot pattern.

I'll report to the group once I get my Grizzly brake installed and run it through few matches.

Did you get the 3 port or 4 port one?

Try to take some video of the muzzle rise and recoil impulse

5 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

Did you get the 3 port or 4 port one?

Try to take some video of the muzzle rise and recoil impulse

Defcon is the 3 port chamber.  It has a bigger volume and port angling than the TACCOM, I'm hoping for better impact on muzzle movement.

On 2/24/2020 at 11:41 PM, Nelsonh said:

Got a estimate from benny hill today on the barrel porting. I just cant get over how flat your gun shoots, thats nice.

cool...if you decide to get it done , you wont be disappointed 

Ming came with a heavy piston, can't check the SN right now
She must have made a mistake as she said it was fine. There sending me a heavy piston. And the fellow I talked to said don't try to break it in with the heavy piston unless I'm shooting 3 inch shells

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Underwood said:

he enlarged the gas ports.. ill have to ask him the exact size.. but they are larger than what most are using..

stock buffer and a 223 AR recoil spring

That is a sweet gun. Did Benny do all the work on yours, or just the barrel porting, gas system, and spring?