Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, OPENB said:

Just sold my Saiga with an eye on getting a VR80. I see there is an IPSC version floating around with orange accents, magwell, skeleton trigger, bigger mag release button, muzzle brake. Anyone have one of these, and is it worth $200 over a regular VR80?

If I had to do it again I'd pay 200$ over to just get one with all the mods already on

1 hour ago, OPENB said:

Just sold my Saiga with an eye on getting a VR80. I see there is an IPSC version floating around with orange accents, magwell, skeleton trigger, bigger mag release button, muzzle brake. Anyone have one of these, and is it worth $200 over a regular VR80?

Save the $200.  You are going to be replacing the trigger anyway since the trigger is terrible, the factory stock sucks, you will probably be replacing at least the safety lever, and/or the safety barrel for a 60 degree  because the reach is so long, the RIA muzzle brake  has to be removed to change chokes and screws up the pattern.  A new bigger mag  release button is about $16 from Taccom.

The orange paint chips off and scratches pretty easy so it looks like crap pretty quickly.

On 2/14/2020 at 12:25 PM, Underwood said:

i have a slo mo vid on my FB..Ill see if i can repost it here

Could you give details on the size holes you drilled and is there any problem with small pellets coming out or logging in the ports?

First time poster, just pocket up my vr80 on Friday and have went over everything else be ready on the forum. Hand cycling feeds and ejects great. Hope to get to do some shooting on Tuesday.

7 hours ago, Nelsonh said:

Does the VR 80 use a ar15 trigger? With the exception of the disconnecter fitting some and not others.

That would be too easy. Everything about the vr80 is their own measurements that are slightly off from the dimensions of an ar15. It would be nice if I could just slap a Calvin elite into it...but unfortunately you have like two options for triggers currently on the market. 

That would be too easy. Everything about the vr80 is their own measurements that are slightly off from the dimensions of an ar15. It would be nice if I could just slap a Calvin elite into it...but unfortunately you have like two options for triggers currently on the market. 
I see people talking about a job trigger and spring but can't seem to find any information on it. If it's just the pin hole size then that isn't a problem.
Also strangely the disconnector looks like it was made like m16 disconnector as it has the tall. Think I will be cutting that tail off of mine just to be safe.
I thank you for taking the time to respond.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Nelsonh said:

I see people talking about a job trigger and spring but can't seem to find any information on it. If it's just the pin hole size then that isn't a problem.
Also strangely the disconnector looks like it was made like m16 disconnector as it has the tall. Think I will be cutting that tail off of mine just to be safe.
I thank you for taking the time to respond.

You can send your entire lower into tooth and nail and they can customize a trigger pull for you. From what I understand they get the trigger down to around 5 lbs, which is half the weight of the factory stock trigger. The other option is to buy the elfman drop in and that has a trigger weight around 3 but is also like 150$ more expensive 

I'll give it s shot myself first to see what I can do. What does tooth and nail charge for there services?

I got 2 of the promag drums that needed a little tweaking and smoothing up, I have everything feeder really smooth by hand cycling and from the both hold open right now. Boy this gun Shure needs to be dehorned tight off the bat.
Also added a rail back to the bottom of the hand gaurd, don't know why they removed that.

I've tried to find a forum that's just dedicated to the vr80 and this forum seems to be the best so far.
I've got my charging handle cover in heat shrink right now and will be making a new longer handle soon as I can get a chance to yo my friends machine shop.

7 minutes ago, Nelsonh said:

I'll give it s shot myself first to see what I can do. What does tooth and nail charge for there services?

I got 2 of the promag drums that needed a little tweaking and smoothing up, I have everything feeder really smooth by hand cycling and from the both hold open right now. Boy this gun Shure needs to be dehorned tight off the bat.
Also added a rail back to the bottom of the hand gaurd, don't know why they removed that.

I've tried to find a forum that's just dedicated to the vr80 and this forum seems to be the best so far.
I've got my charging handle cover in heat shrink right now and will be making a new longer handle soon as I can get a chance to yo my friends machine shop.

A new longer charging handle?

10 minutes ago, Nelsonh said:

Taccom makes an ambidextrous charging handle. I cant really understand the need for an ambi charging handle on a competition shotty, but somehow I jamed it in there and its stuck on the first set of grooves. Somehow it made a longer charging handle without that being the intention. But I mean I've run several comps at this point with the handle like that and it hasnt failed yet and it's nice and easy to charge from.

I seen that handle and don't care for it sticking out both sides, I'm do use to the at platform and the bolt release I'm just going to leave the handle on the right side of the gun but make it larger, besides I don't like the idea of the charging handle digging into my chest when I doing carry the gun.
I don't comp shoot but train very hard for self defense.

I'm working toward buckshot with as little recoil as possible with the heavy rounds, kinda backwards from what I see most use the gun for. Never seen a ported shotgun barrel till I seen a post here and not sure how that is going to work on a shotgun.

4 hours ago, Nelsonh said:

I seen that handle and don't care for it sticking out both sides, I'm do use to the at platform and the bolt release I'm just going to leave the handle on the right side of the gun but make it larger, besides I don't like the idea of the charging handle digging into my chest when I doing carry the gun.
I don't comp shoot but train very hard for self defense.

I'm working toward buckshot with as little recoil as possible with the heavy rounds, kinda backwards from what I see most use the gun for. Never seen a ported shotgun barrel till I seen a post here and not sure how that is going to work on a shotgun.

I dont like it sticking out from both sides either. That's what I was saying. Somehow I jammed it in there so it didnt go all the way through, so it made an extended charging handle.

has any one experimented with modifying a Mossberg 590M double stack mag to work in the vr 80 yet? seems like you would just need to mock up the single stack section with a few dummy rounds like in the drums. Im thinking on try to mix a 5 round vr mag to fit the mossberg double stack mag and give it a try later on.

20 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

You can send your entire lower into tooth and nail and they can customize a trigger pull for you. From what I understand they get the trigger down to around 5 lbs, which is half the weight of the factory stock trigger. The other option is to buy the elfman drop in and that has a trigger weight around 3 but is also like 150$ more expensive 

T&N sells a drop in trigger.  I have one on my VR80 and it breaks at 4.5#.  I've got about 800 rounds on it and it runs perfectly.

19 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

A new longer charging handle?

You can buy T&N MK1919 charging handle.  Theres a small 1/8 tab of metal than needs to be removed (10 minutes with a dremel) and it makes a great charging handle for the VR80.  I ran the Taccom handle for about a month and had issues with it.  The polymer wings kept coming loose.  Here's a link to the install on the MK1919 charging handle:  MK1919 charging handle modified for VR80

21 minutes ago, GSonnen said:

T&N sells a drop in trigger.  I have one on my VR80 and it breaks at 4.5#.  I've got about 800 rounds on it and it runs perfectly.

You can buy T&N MK1919 charging handle.  Theres a small 1/8 tab of metal than needs to be removed (10 minutes with a dremel) and it makes a great charging handle for the VR80.  I ran the Taccom handle for about a month and had issues with it.  The polymer wings kept coming loose.  Here's a link to the install on the MK1919 charging handle:  MK1919 charging handle modified for VR80

Yes..they have the drop in but you can also send the lower into them if you wanted a lighter trigger pull....

1 hour ago, Baragasam said:

What are some effective brakes that are currently available/in-stock to purchase? Can't find anything, Advanced Tactical also doesn't have an alert option for when their long comps are back in stock. 

Theres really like two choices. Either advanced tactical for the long break or taccom for their break. Earlier in this thread I did a video comparing the long and short breaks from advanced to the first taccom break. I know taccom has a newer ulw break which you can remove the handguard with while installed as well as change the choke tubes with removing the break. I havent tested that one at all.

21 hours ago, Baragasam said:

What are some effective brakes that are currently available/in-stock to purchase? Can't find anything, Advanced Tactical also doesn't have an alert option for when their long comps are back in stock. 

V6 Muzzle Brakes is about to release a brake for the VR80.  I've shot a Saiga with one of their brakes and it was amazing.  I spoke with them and they are planning to release the brake this month or early March.

Also, Hayes Custom is working on a mid barrel comp.  

1 hour ago, GSonnen said:

V6 Muzzle Brakes is about to release a brake for the VR80.  I've shot a Saiga with one of their brakes and it was amazing.  I spoke with them and they are planning to release the brake this month or early March.

Also, Hayes Custom is working on a mid barrel comp.  

I look forward to trying those out then. The long comp works...but it's simple not the best comp I've used on a shotty.