Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has this ever happened to anyone? Very weird. Installed the T&N trigger per instructions and it has worked fine for several hundred rounds.

Saturday during a 3-gun match the trigger went dead like the safety was on and it was. This has happened before & I just  flipped the safety off & on but didn't work this time.

Took it home and the safety levers were a little loose tightened them slightly didn't help safety would still not function. Split the upper and lower and took the safety & trigger out and the detent ball, spring, & set screw were gone completely. Where did they go? I know they were installed correctly during trigger install. Weird?

Anyone know where you can get replacement parts other than I did order the T&N VR80 Oops Kit with the parts in it. Got a set screw locally & did a temp fix.

gerritm

I have experienced a lot of weird malfunctions and failures, but that is a new one to me! I ran a TNL trigger for years and never experienced that particular problem.

When they run, they are great. But, VR80s seem to have a way of rattling themselves apart. Turkish engineering just isn't up to par with European and American manufacturing standards. That said, I use blue locktite on just about every screw to help mitigate issues AND I check tightness of all screws after each match. 

I have two Oops Kits, just in case, as it includes the parts you will need to make a permanent (or semi-permanent) fix. 

11 minutes ago, CO3Gunner said:

I have experienced a lot of weird malfunctions and failures, but that is a new one to me! I ran a TNL trigger for years and never experienced that particular problem.

When they run, they are great. But, VR80s seem to have a way of rattling themselves apart. Turkish engineering just isn't up to par with European and American manufacturing standards. That said, I use blue locktite on just about every screw to help mitigate issues AND I check tightness of all screws after each match. 

I have two Oops Kits, just in case, as it includes the parts you will need to make a permanent (or semi-permanent) fix. 

I thought I had worked all the bugs out with mags & loose parts. Gun has been running good with right ammo and then this. I know it was there when I installed the trigger because i adjusted it so when I snapped the safety off it was firm, but not too tight. Understand the detent ball & spring can fall thru & out, but not the set screw. 

Funny thing is my granddaughters (hope I don't jinx it) runs great. 

I used some AR parts to do a temp fix for the safety detent. The set screw is 4mm 7.0 pitch and very short. Do you know the size of the detent ball. Thinking either 4.0 or 3.6mm?

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

Just now, CO3Gunner said:

If you have a good link, please send along! 

Email them through their email contact link.  They did not have something in stock for months and I reached out to see if they would build them for me so they could send them with the rifle.  They most likely would help you out.  Hayes has always been very responsive to my requests.

Got the OOPS Kit from T&N and it had the detent ball, spring, & set screw plus some other small parts. Set screw did have what T&N described as nylon locking compound on it which the original had nothing. Set screw is 4mm, 7 thread pitch & detent ball measured @ 3.1mm for future reference. Safety now works good & will shoot Saturday in local 3-gun match.

gerritm

I'm slowly starting to price a VR80 build - lots of valuable info in this thread. 

Given the current supply chain issues, I've noticed a lot of out of stock parts, specifically mag hangers...? Does anyone have a line on the Hayes or Dissident hangers? Or what other options are there besides these two manufactures? 

21 minutes ago, bulldog009 said:

Given the current supply chain issues, I've noticed a lot of out of stock parts, specifically mag hangers...? Does anyone have a line on the Hayes or Dissident hangers? Or what other options are there besides these two manufactures? 

If you get desperate they are pretty easy to make.  

2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

If you get desperate they are pretty easy to make.  

One our local guys has a Kydex machine and is making them for us using Gorilla double face tape. They work fine. I also have a sheet metal company that has made a few out of aluminum that work even better.

gerritm

6 minutes ago, gerritm said:

I also have a sheet metal company that has made a few out of aluminum that work even better.

Can you give me the contact info for this company that make the aluminum ones?  I was going to design a system for the 10 round magazines using the Hayes system by creating the other half our of Kydex since there is no joint to connect the hanger to on the 10 round magazines.

Thanks in advance.

16 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Can you give me the contact info for this company that make the aluminum ones?  I was going to design a system for the 10 round magazines using the Hayes system by creating the other half our of Kydex since there is no joint to connect the hanger to on the 10 round magazines.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, they don't make custom items. This was a favor to me as we do a bunch of business with them. Not sure how complicated what you want is, but I would contact a local sheet metal company that has a brake for bending the aluminum. They might be able to make what you want.

gerritm 

• 2 weeks later...

Question on strange VR80 problem.

Been sorting out a few problems and this has happened a couple of times including yesterday at our 3gun march.

Shooting Fiocchi Dynamics 1165fps 1 1/8 ounce #7.5 rounds. This happened a couple times before and we blamed it on the cold. Shot 1 stage about 12 rounds ran great. Next SG stage it ripped the front half of the round off. About midway between end and brass. Left the plastic in the chamber and would not seat the next round. Trashed the stage as it was on the spinner, 60 second penalty. 

I have tested this in practice and they ran fine. Weather was 80 degrees so not cold. Last time it was about 40 degrees. So not temp related/

Never has happened with any other brands. Mainly shoot AA, but have a case. Works fine in my granddaughters and buddies Vrs. Have shot Win, Federal, & Rem with this not happening.

Cause, weak plastic shell case?

gerritm

While hand cycling some reloads to make sure they function (looking to avoid crimps that are flared instead of rolled)  I see that there are pushed in 'divots' on the hulls. They haven't torn the plastic but they gave them a pretty good nudge. Maybe you have a sharp edge at the same spot. These were decent used hulls.

btw; They all ran fine in my well-used VR. Some of them only have 1.0625oz over 15.5-15.8gr of e3 and chrono less than 1080fps. 

Never thought about the crimp on the end, will check tonight. Maybe these flare out slightly.

They cycle & run great when this doesn't happen.  I did polish the entrance to the chamber. There did seem to be a sharp edge or seam just inside. But didn't polish the whole chamber. Might go over it again. Something is different about these Fiocchi shells. Have had no problems with the JM or Fiocchi low recoil slugs, but only shot a couple at a time.

gerritm

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, mpmo said:

Is there a way to change chokes with the long comp installed?  Or would I have to remove the comp?

they make a long choke removal tool. RI has one that works Ok if you keep the choke threads lubed and clean the carbon once in awhile. I use Briley choke lube.

https://www.a3gmunitions.com/product/rock-island-armory-vr-series-extended-choke-wrench/

gerritm 

I got a VR80 from a friend that bought it a couple of years ago and I don’t think he even put a full box of shells through it, as a backup for my Firebird.

I took it all apart, opened up the gas ports, cleaned and lubed everything. I think I have an extra Holosun 510, but first I was going to zero the irons with slugs because I’ve seen every brand of optic fail.

I really feel stupid because I don’t know what the trick is to flip the sights up, and if there’s a trick to locking them back down.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, RH45 said:

I got a VR80 from a friend that bought it a couple of years ago and I don’t think he even put a full box of shells through it, as a backup for my Firebird.

I took it all apart, opened up the gas ports, cleaned and lubed everything. I think I have an extra Holosun 510, but first I was going to zero the irons with slugs because I’ve seen every brand of optic fail.

I really feel stupid because I don’t know what the trick is to flip the sights up, and if there’s a trick to locking them back down.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks!

Apparently I was overthinking things. They just flip up. Nothing to keep them locked.

I guess I forgot that they’re Turkish, and not the highest quality.

5 hours ago, RH45 said:

Apparently I was overthinking things. They just flip up. Nothing to keep them locked.

I guess I forgot that they’re Turkish, and not the highest quality.

Whole gun is Turkish.

Not defending Turkish guns, but mine runs great, and the sights, cheap as they are work fine.

Curious if there are any really high round count guns out there, and how do the owners like them.

Edited by robertg5322