Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Don_B said:

Unfortunately I have not been able to find them for several years either. Dillon used to have them, maybe try them. 

Don, I've not seen the B&P slugs for a long time. Dillon hasn't had them. They were the most accurate slug in my M2. Fiocchi are the next best.

I bought a couple cases quite a few years ago and now have 1 or2 boxes left, Rem reduced recoil will be my next choice. 

The Fioochi slugs did not feed very well in a friends VR80. The end of the shell would catch on the barrrel and jam. 

15 hours ago, outerlimits said:

u using a red dot?  

Yes, I am using a Holosun 510C.  I have yet to try a group at 50yds.  I will be testing some next week and see what I come up with.  I am going to try some of that Federal that runs at 1600 FPS and see what happens.  

• 1 month later...

A friend at rm3g found the buffer tube had a bunch of that packing grease from the factory, slowing the spring down a lot and causing feeding issues. 

I've not heard that before but it's something we came up with and it fixed the cycling and feeding issues. 

• 4 months later...
23 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

How long is this handguard, and which option did you choose when ordering.

Does the handguard contact the Piston and/or barrel?

Apologies for taking this long to get back to you. It is from A3G Munitions, only I had them cut their extended carbon fiber hand guard back to ~12.5" to make clearance for gas ports I drilled into the barrel. It does not contact the piston or gas system. If I did not have the ported barrel, I would simply go with the stock extended carbon fiber version because it does lighten-up the front end quite a bit, making it easier to point. 

https://www.a3gmunitions.com/product/vr80-cfhg/

10 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Ah looking at the picture closely I do see you cut it down.

Do you happen to remember which Option you chose.

Options.pdf 28.18 kB · 4 downloads

I have successfully cut 2 of these down to fit behind hayes comps. If you don't need that clearance just get the normal one.

Edited by inertia

18 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Ah looking at the picture closely I do see you cut it down.

Do you happen to remember which Option you chose.

Options.pdf 28.18 kB · 5 downloads

Also, there are some good pictures of the A3G extended handguard on the Advanced Tactical website, so you can get a visual idea of what it looks like: https://advancedtactical.com/vr80-extended-carbon-fiber-handguard-by-a3gmunitions/ 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I just got a VR80 and am wanting to put on a compensator. I am stuck between waiting for the new long one to be in stock and just doing a medium one or the taccom one. Any recommendations? I’ve heard the taccom does not do much. 

19 hours ago, blov93 said:

Hi I just got a VR80 and am wanting to put on a compensator. I am stuck between waiting for the new long one to be in stock and just doing a medium one or the taccom one. Any recommendations? I’ve heard the taccom does not do much. 

I run the Tooth and Nail mid barrel compensator, but I don't believe they sell it as a product, it only comes on their VR80 Race builds. 

A buddy of mine has tried just about every compensator made for the VR80 and has settled on the Grizzly Gunworks Defcon 1 - Link - its not as long or as heavy as the RIA ones, and is pretty good at managing recoil. Be sure to note in your order if you want to be able to remove chokes through it, they will bore it large enough to put an extended choke wrench in. 

On 1/27/2023 at 7:19 AM, bulldog009 said:

I run the Tooth and Nail mid barrel compensator, but I don't believe they sell it as a product, it only comes on their VR80 Race builds. 

A buddy of mine has tried just about every compensator made for the VR80 and has settled on the Grizzly Gunworks Defcon 1 - Link - its not as long or as heavy as the RIA ones, and is pretty good at managing recoil. Be sure to note in your order if you want to be able to remove chokes through it, they will bore it large enough to put an extended choke wrench in. 

Thanks I ordered one today!

On 1/27/2023 at 12:41 PM, Boomstick303 said:

What size targets are typical slug targets at 100 yds for 3 Gun?  C Zone USPSA?

C-zone & sometimes a hanging gong type about 12" or bigger in diameter is what I have seen.

gerritm

• 4 weeks later...

I did some break in of the VR80 today after properly "Tuning" the mags.  The thing ran great.  I had one I guess you can consider "light strike", but up on investigating the shell the firing pin put a rather decent dent in the primer.  I think is was the ammo not the gun.  That was the only issue out of about 200 rounds.  

I did notice something, and I had a question that I have no seen asked in regards to ammo.  I purchased and tested some Winchester that were a bit hotter at 1350 FPS.  I noted the dot seemed noticeably more stable when running this load compared to shells at 1145 and 1200 fps.  

I am running the Hayes setup with their comp so I am wondering if since the shells are at 1350 if more gas is possibly making the comp work better.  It was a very small sample size but notable.  I think that Winchester @ 1350 FPS might be the best ammo I have ran through the thing.  

I guess my question is regardless of your setup do you have a favorite ammo you use in the VR80 in how the gun acts when using that particular ammo?

What is the reason it is your favorite ammo?

7 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I did some break in of the VR80 today after properly "Tuning" the mags.  The thing ran great.  I had one I guess you can consider "light strike", but up on investigating the shell the firing pin put a rather decent dent in the primer.  I think is was the ammo not the gun.  That was the only issue out of about 200 rounds.  

I did notice something, and I had a question that I have no seen asked in regards to ammo.  I purchased and tested some Winchester that were a bit hotter at 1350 FPS.  I noted the dot seemed noticeably more stable when running this load compared to shells at 1145 and 1200 fps.  

I am running the Hayes setup with their comp so I am wondering if since the shells are at 1350 if more gas is possibly making the comp work better.  It was a very small sample size but notable.  I think that Winchester @ 1350 FPS might be the best ammo I have ran through the thing.  

I guess my question is regardless of your setup do you have a favorite ammo you use in the VR80 in how the gun acts when using that particular ammo?

What is the reason it is your favorite ammo?

We run exclusively Winchester AA at 1145fps or 1200fps depending on what I can find. We have Taccom comps, not mid barrel. Recoil is soft and dot stays on target, pretty much. Reason for AA is here in SE Texas due to the heat and humidity I have seen many other brands deform and cause problems. Some guys put their rounds in a cooler. Need the hard smooth shell cases to be round to feed correctly.

gerritm