Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open 9mm Glocks

Adrenaline

So I would bet money this topic had been covered here before but I am new. I am wondering with a 4 port comp and the right recoil spring combo, can a Glock 17 frame handle 9mm major for Open? I have been eyeballing a gun from Carver Custom.
no, not reliably. that's why GMs like KC Eusebio left glock

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I shot a 9 Major SJC G17 for two years. Major comp and a good load made it a lot of fun. Still runs great, but I fell into a 2011. It does have more mass but I’m shooting the same load. 7.2 WSF, CCI SRP, 124 PD JHP. I never had a problem with the G17; very reliable. YMMV.

Not all 9 major is created equal, 9.4gr of 3N38 under a 115gr JHP @1.161" makes 170.5pf and comes right out of the Vihtavuori load manual, by comparison the max load for Winchester Autocomp under a 115 JHP makes just 133.5 pf; loading longer helps stretch it out, but the pressure is still higher at the same velocity.

When pushing the envelope on making major, I prefer a heavier bullet to a faster powder.  You might even enjoy a slow powder under a 147gr bullet.

Ya, I ran an open Glock in 9 major for quite a while. I didn’t know what i was missing until I moved to a 2011 metal gun. Now the damn Glock feels like a hand grenade ready to blow! But my Glock ran, and still runs great. With a 15lb recoil spring, it just runs and runs, and this is with the carver 4 port comp. even COF my trigger and locking block pins would walk about almost all the way. I never tried doing anything about it, so I’m sure this can be remedied. 

The biggest problem is they’re just to light. You can get a pretty flat load, or you think until you shoot a metal gun and the damn thing doesn’t move at all when firing a 115g bullet at 1500 FPS. I thought my Glock was heavy with all the s#!t I added to it. I never tried a frame weight though, that could help put some weight where it’s needed up front. 

Bottom line is they work. They’ll get you into open for cheap. Threaded barrel, comp, red dot and beaver tail mount kit unless you have you slide milled, then a magwell and some mag extensions plus a spring and connector kit and you’re good to go. I keep mine to back up my 2011. 

Hmm...

Ya..damn..I cant make up my mind to go to a g22 for an open gun or 9mm major on the Glock 17. Of course I would love a 2011 but 5000 bucks is not in my pocket at the moment. Maybe I just shoot limited until I save enough for a 2011..or maybe I'll build a Glock 22 open gun...see what I mean, cant make up my f$*&ing mind.

5 hours ago, Adrenaline said:

Hmm...

Ya..damn..I cant make up my mind to go to a g22 for an open gun or 9mm major on the Glock 17. Of course I would love a 2011 but 5000 bucks is not in my pocket at the moment. Maybe I just shoot limited until I save enough for a 2011..or maybe I'll build a Glock 22 open gun...see what I mean, cant make up my f$*&ing mind.

I couldn’t spend 5k on an open gun either. No way. I put less down on my new truck! You can buy used. Right now there’s tons of great deals in the classifieds. Way more then when I bought mine. I couldn’t find a single open gun in 9 major for the price I was looking at. All were 38s. So I bought one and bought a new 9mm barrel for it. 

15 hours ago, Adrenaline said:

Hmm...

You need some Carry Optics in your life. 

I’m converting my Carry Optics G34 into an Open Minor gun. I had a blast shooting Open Minor a few years ago. At local levels you can be more competitive than you think. 

Just got the KKM barrel and Alpha Wolf comp for it. We’ll see how it goes. 

68BD061C-50D8-43E1-B960-D4CB3FC38817.jpeg

On 12/10/2018 at 3:47 PM, Adrenaline said:

Hmm...

Best advice after learning from my mistakes, go glock 22. It is the most versatile, affordable, and most competitive platform to go by.

It will require you to modify it perfectly for whatever division you shoot in.

Wanna shoot limited? Get a magwell, and a frame weight. Once you master that, add a sight block! All this while still scoring major.

They got caliber conversions to 9mm, but you cant convert 9 to 40 without buying a new slide.

I wouldnt say shooting open minor/major was a waste of time. I learned a few things and mastered one.

I learned how to chase and track a dot during live and dry fire. I mastered clearing the numerous jams it had. Ever seen a stovepipe get cleared in .7 seconds? 

Bottom line is, buy a used trade in glock 22. Perfect the fundamentals as you work your way up to a 2011

I have a Glock 17 built by sjc, it ran flawlessly for the first two years. It now jam up when it got down to five or six rounds bleft in the mag. Nothing I did fixed the problem. I changed springs, an everything ely I got think of.  I was shooting a125 grn blue bullet over 6.8 grns of wac.  Pf of 172.  Nothing seemed to solve the problem. So I ordered y ck arms soluty gun. After adding a few goodies from the build sheet options it came. To 3500.  I have two more months until it's delivered. I don't plan on going back. Glocks are great guns but y feel they were not mention to be open guns.  It's going to be y long two months wait but worth the cash I have spent.  Good lock in your quest to mk the Glock work.

If you're shooting "FOR FUN", go with the Glock shooting 9mm Minor (get the loads up to c. PF150).

If you're very competitive and want to start finishing high on the chart, save up and buy a USED

2011 and use 9mm Major.

OR, you can buy a CZ in 9mm Open - in between the Glock and the 2011.     :)