Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Sitting or Standing?

I operate my 1050 standing for .45 only.  Fine machine, plenty high production rate, but my arthritic knees are objecting.

I operate my 550 sitting for 9mm and .38.  More comfortable, but it could stand to be more mechanized. 

Question:  Is the 650 easy to operate while sitting?  As easy as 550? 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, jejb said:

Sitting for me when I run my 650XL. I can't imagine why one would want to stand to load when sitting is such an easy option. I can't see any advantage to standing personally.

Just like nearly every “new” subject brought up this has been discussed before. I think the majority stand while reloading if I recall. Pretty easy to do a search for all the pros and cons. Much easier for me to stand so I can keep bullet feeder full, primers full, case feeder full etc.

24 minutes ago, jejb said:

I can't see any advantage to standing personally.

I find it easier to seat primers as I kind of lean into it while I'm pushing the handle back up.  It's also easier for me to verify the powder drop in each case.

I find it easier to seat primers as I kind of lean into it while I'm pushing the handle back up.  It's also easier for me to verify the powder drop in each case.

I think this is exactly why I stand. The case feeder is automated and setting bullets is easy, but consistent force to seating primers and leaning in to check powder is just easier for me when standing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

Question:  Is the 650 easy to operate while sitting?  As easy as 550? 

I have both side by side on a bench with the handles(roller) at nearly the same height.  I sit to load and find barely any difference in ease of operation between the two. 

Unless your bench height is pretty low I do not see how you could work at a correct ergonomic height if your press has a strong mount and you sit to load.  

Edited by bwikel

I recall a story about Brian back in the day. One of the Dillons asked him to accept a challenge on reloading against a different type of press. As I remember it, Brian slipped in some ear plugs, turned on the tunes and sat down at his press. I think it was a 550. He started happily cranking away. I like to stand for short reloading sessions and sit for marathons. My marathons have gotten a bit shorter now that I have a 650 with MBF and case feeder. 😀

I recall a story about Brian back in the day. One of the Dillons asked him to accept a challenge on reloading against a different type of press. As I remember it, Brian slipped in some ear plugs, turned on the tunes and sat down at his press. I think it was a 550. He started happily cranking away. I like to stand for short reloading sessions and sit for marathons. My marathons have gotten a bit shorter now that I have a 650 with MBF and case feeder. [emoji3]

That’s a cool story. I’d love to know the details.

5 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

I'm a bigger guy in good shape, so seating the primers while sitting has not been an issue. But I guess I could see that being an issue for some folks. I use an RCBS powder check die, so no worries there, either.

5 hours ago, Sarge said:

Much easier for me to stand so I can keep bullet feeder full, primers full, case feeder full etc.

I'd never even thought about the case feeder. I do not have a strong mount under my 650. I'm 6'2" and have to stretch a little to see down into the case feeder hopper. How do you guys with strong mounts check the level in there?

I'd never even thought about the case feeder. I do not have a strong mount under my 650. I'm 6'2" and have to stretch a little to see down into the case feeder hopper. How do you guys with strong mounts check the level in there?

When it’s empty I put more in! Ha!

I count rounds by primers, so extras in the CF don’t bother me.

1 hour ago, jejb said:

Mirror on ceiling above casefeeder and bullet feeder

6 hours ago, JasonandMichelle said:

That’s a cool story. I’d love to know the details.

Finally found the original story...now that I reread it, I can't tell if Brian was sitting or not. I always just assumed that he was. Maybe Brian can chime in and answer that question. 

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/140809-1983-ad-for-450/?t

19 hours ago, Sarge said:

Mirror on ceiling above casefeeder and bullet feeder

I also use a mirror on the ceiling above my bullet and case feeder to keep an eye on fill rate. When they get low I fill them when I refill primers to prevent extra stops while loading.