Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1983 Ad for 450

That's awesome - thanks for posting that!

That brought back a fun memory. Back in the day, Mike Dillon advertised that he would pay $1000 to anyone that could load more rounds in an hour on their press (any kind of manually operated press) than his guy could load on his 450. I was his guy. The challenger was running an RCBS Green Machine. Their was just one stipulation though - Mike would choose the caliber and provide the brass.

That was his ace in the hole. Say there just happened to be a few pieces of military brass, with crimped primer pockets, mixed in with the 38 speical brass, which would jam up any press. On the Dillon 450, I could clear that jam and resume loading in just a few seconds. Whereas on the Green Machine, that same jam would result in at least a 5 minute teardown to get it back up and running again. Guess who won?

:)

Brian,

I remember watching you race Rich Mackey on his Green Machine. You put in your earphones, cranked up the alternative FM station of the time, I think it was "The Wall", and rocked that handle!

@ Sean,

Pretty much all 550 parts fit the older RL450. If you are referring to Claudio Salassa, I loaded ammo for him here one year for the Nationals, I think 1985. Some competitor donated some 45 brass, Dillon supplied the powder, primers and bullets, and I loaded the ammo in our small demonstration area. Please give him my regards.

my 450 looks almost like this one except the priming system has the lock nut for the drop tube and was black ( like a 550 without the armature) and no serial number tag ( or it was lost before it was given to me) so I estimate mine is probably somewhere mid-late 80's production...still running strong

I have also upgraded the powder system, priming system is next I call it my RL450M

I reload many calibers but never felt the need to upgrade to a 550 toolhead part.

I have fun answering the local "You can't load precision ammo on a progressive" challenges with it..

Only problem I have with it,... sometimes,....is keeping it fed :roflol: easy to run short on components if you don't track inventory

John

Looking at the magazine,.. it looks like a case feeder...as there are bullets in the tray

maybe BE or Dillon can verify..

old magazine ad old eyes :roflol:

John

Actually, I think you're correct. I saw the black mounting bar in the back and thought that's where it was feeding bullets. Thought the white case feed tube in the front was just not attached to anything, but it looks to be attached to the feeder at the top.

Either way, that's an old school case feeder! I wonder if anyone still has RL1000s around and in use?

And check out those homemade cardboard 'akro' bins!

Edited by kalaur

Brian,

I remember watching you race Rich Mackey on his Green Machine. You put in your earphones, cranked up the alternative FM station of the time, I think it was "The Wall", and rocked that handle!

I forgot to mention the earphones part.

:D

Brian,

@ Sean,

Pretty much all 550 parts fit the older RL450. If you are referring to Claudio Salassa, I loaded ammo for him here one year for the Nationals, I think 1985. Some competitor donated some 45 brass, Dillon supplied the powder, primers and bullets, and I loaded the ammo in our small demonstration area. Please give him my regards.

Yes, Claudio Salassa. I swear he knows everybody!!lol, yeah I believe he won that loader that year also. I will have to bring up you reloading ammo for him.

<random aside> I had a need to go digging through an old (1984) Sierra manual last week, and along the way I happened to skim through the section on reloading.

I was amused (?) to see that Sierra's guidance at that time was to *not* use a progressive press. The logic they used as that "a handloader with 100 rounds of good ammunition is much better off than a progressive loader with 1000 rounds of bad ammunition"

:sight:

Brian.. how did they compare with 'nice' brass?

That didn't happen.

When it wasn't jamming up, the Green Machine was a bit faster. But I could rock on that 450 like I was shooting Double Trouble. But in many areas it wasn't nearly as reilable as the Dillon press. So at the end of a typical evening's reloading session, you'd be ahead with the Dillon.

be

Wow, what a great piece of history. Thanks for posting.

In that photo the bottome of the powder measure is painted. I got mine about the time they changed to the silver/gray natural metal on the measure. They were/are great presses, simple, easy to operate, and bullet proof. My s/n 11360 has been used a lot over the years and still looks like new.

It would be interesting to know the progression of changes. I remeber seeing some with clear flexible plastic tubing for primer pickup tubes and brass priming blocks. What year did the 450 first hit the market?

The 450, was my first Dillon Machine when I was still living in New Zealand in the early 80's. Never had any problems or breakages, loaded mainly .38special / .45 for PPC, Service Match and Bianchi Cup Matches.

At this time in New Zealand most reloaders were using Dillon or the RCBS Green Machine or a combination of both if they were loading multiple calibers.

Good Memories.

Cheers ....