Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fastfire on open guns

jpease

Yep. Ff3 doesn't get bright enough for those sunny days. I used one on a carry optics gun a while ago. Once I tried the DPP I never could go back. The window is larger, glass is clearer, and the dot is significantly brighter.
The brighter the dot, the more adjustment you have to be able to get your dot perfect for your environment. Which is a huge advantage.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The FF3 with new batteries is very bright.  Mine are brighter tham my RTS2s, and they stay that way for more than one match.  As for durability, the oldest FF3 8 MOA is on one of my competition 45s.  40,000+ rounds of major and near major without a hiccup.  The only thing that happened to it is the little plastic window covering the LED port cracked and fell off.  The sight still worked fine.

I prefer the glass on an RTS2, but all of mine eat batteries, so they dim by the end of the match.  I use DPP 2.5s on my steel guns and one Open gun.  There is nothing not to like about them.  Battery life is terrific, plus they hold zero.  So does the Burris.  Not so much the RTS2 and Slideride.

About the size of the window.  It doesn't matter much.  I've shoot all the way from Slideride to FF3.  It you are looking at the target and the dot does not come up superimposed on where you want to hit, you need more practice, not a larger window.

As zzt said window size means nothing, if you're looking at/seeing, the sight/window size, you are doing it wrong. You should be able to cover the front of the glass and still get hits with no problems.
FFlll has always been plenty bright, I prefer the JPoint CD myself, it's even smaller. I do wish it had manual controls as well though.

Can’t attest to the brightness, but I looked at a FFIII in person when shopping for a Carry Optics dot. The window is quite small. As others have pointed out, this doesn’t always matter. If you hold the gun correctly with a good stance, you can still see the dot just fine. For USPSA, I prefer the bigger, more forgiving window of a DPP. 

I have one on my Glock. It’s a really nice dot, it’s held up nicely though 10k rounds. But the dot is pretty small, very hard to see on sunny days. Mines only a 3 moa though, I think they make a 6 or 8. That might be worth a try. 

But since switching to a c more, there is a really big difference. The bigger glass, bigger dot. It makes a big difference. Much easier to see when it’s sunny out. 

5 hours ago, IHMSA15151 said:

I run a FF3 on my Open Class 3Gun pistol. It has held up very well and as Kixx pointed out, the window size really becomes irrelevant if you practice enough with it and the dot is in the right place when you bring the gun up. 

Window size does matter when you shoot one hand or into new position, even transition to a new target..

Stick a ff3 next to a delta point pro and tell me you still think size doesn't matter. But really it's not the size. It's the brightness of the dot. The DPP is much brighter. It's useable on the brightest of days where ad MY 2 ff3 I had were not useable shooting into the sun.

I have a FF3 with an 8 MOA on my Glock used for CO and a DPP with a 2.5 MOA dot on my open gun, both have been flawless for thousands of rounds.  The DPP 2.5 dot is very bright and seems larger than 2.5 MOA would suggest, I have had other 2 MOA dots that seem dim and too small. The FF3 with 8 MOA is plenty bright and easy to acquire and will function fine.  I like it on the Glock because the width of the optic is smaller and it matches the slide width better for concealed carry.  Side by side, I do prefer the DPP's crisp bright dot so that is what I chose for the open gun where the dimension of the optic is not a factor.

9 hours ago, Explosiveo said:

Stick a ff3 next to a delta point pro and tell me you still think size doesn't matter. But really it's not the size. It's the brightness of the dot. The DPP is much brighter. It's useable on the brightest of days where ad MY 2 ff3 I had were not useable shooting into the sun.

That’s the problem I had with my ff3. On sunny days you couldn’t see it. But in the shade, or indoors, or when the sun was going down it was great. Except the bulk of my shooting is done in the bring sun. At indoor matches though the ff3 is great, I had to turn it down to the middle setting cause the high was just to big. Covered the whole damn target. I really like my c more though, the bigger glass, and the big bright dot is easy to see even on the sunniest days. 

Bought one  FFIII for a XDM CO gun... Couldnt get the battery in sitting at a desk with a jewelers magnify lamp, Its at an angle, and the cover has about 1 thread. Fought with it for 30 minutes said screw it and returned it. If it was that sorry of a design it was giving me troubles at a desk, couldnt imagine trying to put a battery in at a range. Read some reviews on Amazon and Midway. Seems to be a common problem. 
Went with a Viper.. pretty happy. May try a Venom on my 22 been happy so far.

My dad has been shooting a FF3 on his open xdm for a couple of years now and he really likes it. I have read on here that it is not the greatest dot for major but I cannot vouch for that. He has had zero problems with it. The only complaint he has at all is that no one makes a mount for it. But even that does not really bother him. It is however why I went with the DPP.

On 11/18/2018 at 12:48 AM, IHMSA15151 said:

as Kixx pointed out, the window size really becomes irrelevant if you practice enough with it and the dot is in the right place when you bring the gun up. 

I should point out again that I prefer the DPP based solely on window size. In USPSA you don’t always have the perfect conditions for the dot to appear in the perfect spot. Bigger window=more forgiving=faster.