Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet weight vs the timer

ncrivello

17 hours ago, motosapiens said:

Unless the OP is really silly, he is wanting to know if one can shoot stages faster with slower heavier bullets (less perceived recoil), or with faster lighter bullets (snappier, possibly quicker cycling and return of sights, but more perceived recoil).

The responses were quite entertaining... didn't realize the question was so ambiguous.  Yes, I'm trying to figure out if the heavier bullets really do result in faster split and stage times.  Doesn't look to be a clear cut and dry answer.  

I'm getting back into the reloading thing, specifically for my SS minor gun.  Big question is bullet weight.  I was casting and powder coating a 159gr load over titegroup for my production glock at one point; that was a soft shooting load... Don't know if I'll end up casting or using a commercially available bullet.  Casting allows for weights and profiles outside the usual 124's and 147's.  Big part of me says to just load blue bullet or similar and go train, lol.     

Exactly.   I don't even know how such a controlled study would work.

OP, if you go out today and conduct a series of tests, whichever one is better is going to depend on a number of other variables around your skill set and around your body today.  If you go tomorrow and conduct the same series of test, you might get different results.  If you practiced with only one load for 8 weeks, then tested, then practiced with the other load for 8 weeks, then tested, you might find different results yet again.  And if all the tests showed consistently you were better with one, you might find different results a year later. 

At the end of the day, I'd say the closest you can get to a real answer is this:  IF heavier bullets and softer felt recoil shortened your splits, the vast majority of pro shooters would be using them, but the majority of pros do not.  That should tell you something. 

And one final thought -- it's 9mm minor.  They're all soft.  ;) 

I don't see the difficulty.  Load everything to the same PF.  Go to the practice range with a timer.  Double tap.  Double tap, repeat.  Look at your splits.  One will almost certainly be faster.  If you can pick up.1 seconds on each second shot, that's huge.  3 seconds picked up over a long course.

A friend always shot 230 gr 45 bullets in Limited and SS.  He complained about how high his muzzle rose compared to other shooters.  I told him to try 185 gr bullets.  He did and was amazed by the difference.

I loaded last week:

120pf 124gr FMJ

128pf 125gr coated

132pf 147gr FMJ

138pf 150gr coated

I took those four loads and put three of each into a magazine for a light 27oz Walther PPQ.

Did a 12-round bill drill into a berm.

Shot them slower at 1 round per second.

Repeated the mag dump.

They all feel exactly the same. And anyone who thinks they can feel the difference between 128 and 135 PF using the same bullet and powder is most definitely fooling themselves.

You guys need to calm down, find a bullet your gun shoots true, buy thousands of them, and just shoot.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

13 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I loaded last week:

120pf 124gr FMJ

128pf 125gr coated

132pf 147gr FMJ

138pf 150gr coated

I took those four loads and put three of each into a magazine for a light 27oz Walther PPQ.

Did a 12-round bill drill into a berm.

Shot them slower at 1 round per second.

Repeated the mag dump.

They all feel exactly the same. And anyone who thinks they can feel the difference between 128 and 135 PF using the same bullet and powder is most definitely fooling themselves.

You guys need to calm down, find a bullet your gun shoots true, buy thousands of them, and just shoot.

Calm down? Are you kidding? Hanging around this place is like spending a day in middle-school. :lol:

32 minutes ago, Weapon said:

Once you find the super optimal bullet, you still have to find the super optimal primer, powder, brass, OAL, recoil spring and pre-match coffee to go with it. 

Don't forget to factor in the wind speed and barometric pressure

1 minute ago, jripper said:

Don't forget to factor in the wind speed and barometric pressure

And wear the right underwear when reloading your match ammo. Actually, I have only narrowed that down to the underwear or the ball cap I am wearing while reloading - one or the other leads to ammo with a much lower SD and better split times. 

6 minutes ago, Weapon said:

And wear the right underwear when reloading your match ammo. Actually, I have only narrowed that down to the underwear or the ball cap I am wearing while reloading - one or the other leads to ammo with a much lower SD and better split times. 

If I eat Mexican the night before the match, my splits are much faster. 

15 minutes ago, jripper said:

If I eat Mexican the night before the match, my splits are much faster. 

Does it matter if you go with the red sauce or the white cheese sauce? Hard or soft tacos? I have suspected they have an influence on my hit factor but I haven’t been able to pin down a pattern. 

13 minutes ago, Weapon said:

Does it matter if you go with the red sauce or the white cheese sauce? Hard or soft tacos? I have suspected they have an influence on my hit factor but I haven’t been able to pin down a pattern. 

No.  It's only because it forces me to shoot faster so I can get to the Porta Potty quicker. 

4 hours ago, jripper said:

No.  It's only because it forces me to shoot faster so I can get to the Porta Potty quicker. 

It didn't help me.

I got to the Port-o-potty, jerked open the door, and there stood the Match Director with a fishing pole in his hands. 

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"I dropped my jacket down in the muck." Said the MD.

"Why don't you just leave it?" 

"Oh, hell no!" He responded. "I had a ham sandwich in the pocket."

True enough, but when the timer goes off and the stage begins the shooter with the higher FPS will have a faster time for that stage, all else being equal.
I think that's what our OP is after.
Holy s#!t

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, wtturn said:

Holy s#!t

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around "...the shooter with the higher FPS will have a faster time for that stage..."

Now I have a headache.

• 9 months later...

At the moment I am basing everything on what I can double tap and have 2 A's one near eachother with the slowest split possible (0.11-0.14) at 5-7 yards.

It's working with 124 grains at about 132 PF with a fast powder and a specific recoil spring. Whenever I change one factor, it just doesn't work. I would like to, but I feel like it's a really long road.