Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder spillage

Hey all i have a 1050, i loaf aa#7 which is a very fine ball powder, the issue I habe offs I get pieces of the powder on every stroke spoiling from the bat add itty cycles.  I've loaded 3n38 which is not as fine of powder with no issue, wad wondering if there is a fix to this spillage.  It doesn't affect consistency of the charge of powder, Justy trying to not waste and keep the bench that much cleaner. 

I use zip ties for that and resolves issues. The spillage I haves is coming from the powder bar, as it does it's cycle, pieces of powder  are clinging to the back of the measuring bar and then spill on the bench

• 2 months later...

I made something similar to the spillstops using a piece of a fairly dense foam rubber a little less than 1/8" thick.  I used a 45 case to punch out the disc and then a leather punch for the center hole.  It's been working on cases from 9mm size to 308.  

2 hours ago, Sneexies said:

Does it soften the snap of the action?

It does stop the case from wobbling when it comes to a stop at that station.  I use them on the 2 stations following the powder drop.   I'm using a Mr Bulletfeeder after the powder drop and it has greatly reduced the spills at that station.  I use it on the next station just to keep bullets from falling off the case, it wasn't really a common occurrence to have bullets tip over but now it's not occurring at all.  

I was getting a lot of spills when loading 223 and 308 with H335 or WC844.  These spill stops are the last thing I've done.  I have used the zip ties, strips of fabric softener sheets in the powder measure and grounded the machine to a wall outlet.  Since doing all of these things the powder spills are greatly reduced.  

On 10/9/2018 at 11:20 AM, Acsr said:

I use zip ties for that and resolves issues. The spillage I haves is coming from the powder bar, as it does it's cycle, pieces of powder  are clinging to the back of the measuring bar and then spill on the bench

I had the same problem with one of my powder bars. Solved completely with a piece of tape. See post below for details and pics.

1 hour ago, racer-x said:

I had the same problem with one of my powder bars. Solved completely with a piece of tape. See post below for details and pics.

Couple weeks ago I stumbled upon this fix and it is the ticket, thanks for the idea works perfectly

• 5 weeks later...

I was having some spillage while loading Shooter's World Major Pistol for my 9mm major rounds.  I had the powder bar issue, which racer-x's tape fix resolved (thank you).  I used blue tape instead of green since that's what I had on hand.  If memory serves it was .004" thick vs .005" with the green.  In any case, it worked.  I no longer have that leaky faucet thing going on.

I was also having it on the upstroke to the MBF station after the powder drop on my 650.  Very distinct clicking sound and a little bounce to the case while the ram was moving up towards the MBF dropper die.  I made a couple of snips to the detent ball spring, slowed my pace a little and that seems to have mostly eliminated the problem.  I still get the occasional bounce, but I don't want to take any more off the spring.

• 1 year later...

I was still getting spillage with one  reloading innovations damper on my 650 using 4.2g n320 for 9mm. It’s when I added a second damper to another station that the spillage stopped. In some cases, two are better then one.