Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

which comp for 9mm PCC ?

Put a new Venom comp on my match PCC last week.  Its 2.5 ounces llighter than the Miculek style comp I used earlier.  I shot it today and discovered the crush washer was not crushed quite enough to keep the comp tight.

On the way home I stopped at my practice range to chrono some loads.  Since the comp was already loose, I decided to play with it.

I ran a bit of everything out of it (98 gr @ 106 to 157 PF and 147 gr @ 121 to 144 PF based on today's readings) with the comp oriented at 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 9 o'clock and even 6 o'clock.  Finished off the testing with the comp removed. The dot movement did not change.  

FWIW, I was using a 5.3 ounce buffer, 12.4 ounce bolt, standard M4 buffer spring with $2.75 worth of quarters.   At least to my satisfaction it answered what benefit I am getting from a comp on a 9mm PCC.

Other comps may work better.

Edited by Flatland Shooter
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my Taccom LW barrel in.  Man this thing is light and nimble....almost feels too light.  Haven't shot it yet, but hoping it won't be more flippy than the steel 16" Govt. profile I had on there before.

PCCA.jpg

PCCB.jpg

Clocked it slightly past noon.

1 hour ago, MoRivera said:

Got my Taccom LW barrel in.  Man this thing is light and nimble....almost feels too light.  Haven't shot it yet, but hoping it won't be more flippy than the steel 16" Govt. profile I had on there before.

PCCA.jpg

PCCB.jpg

Clocked it slightly past noon.

Is that a 10” handguard?

12", at the top of the 'slanted' front.

Word of caution with this barrel....its diameter is quite thick, so if you have a hand guard that's thin and want to mount stuff, you may have to put some spacers/washers under the mounting screws so the the front doesn't contact the barrel.  I had to do that with the M-Lok screws on the angled fore grip.  Some are used to it making room for a gas block or such.

Edited by MoRivera
47 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

Perfect.  In that case the 12.5” MI I like should fit it perfect.  Thanks for the info, and very nice looking setup!

Yeah you should be good, and IIRC the MI has a rather large inner diameter, which will help in clearance if you're going to mount stuff.  That's why I went with this rail which I had just sitting around for a while (forgot what type it is or where I got it).  It has a slightly larger ID than the 1.3" we see in a lot of slim rails.  But I still had to put washers under the M-Lok screws to clear the barrel.

I wasn't sure I'd like the silver-colored muzzle brake, but I actually like it.  Kind of reminds me of some of the guns in Star Wars.

Edited by MoRivera
1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I am using this super lightweight comp right now that shoots pretty flat and transitions very quick. Thanks, Eric

IMG_1678.jpg

Interesting.

I picked up an aluminum blank that's about 3" long.  My plans are to drill a single small popple hole and see what happens.  If it helps, repeat with a second hole, possibly followed by a third hole.   No side ports, just a few holes at 12:00 o'clock.  (It will go on a 16"barrel.)

44 minutes ago, toothandnail said:

This brake looks very similiar to the design of the MBX in regards to the top ports, it does look like the internal shape of the ports is different than the MBX. Should be an effective brake for PCC’s. Looking forward to user reviews once they come out.

This PCC comp has had the same response as his Cannibal AR comp.  So far, 100% of guys who shot a test rifle, have bought one. 

I also have a specific PCC comp he made for "Hot" loads, just like an Open pistol comp tuned for more gas.

Works fantastic, however my hot loads are too fast for most PCC matches. They crono at 1850-1875fps. They shoot really flat - about 1 1/2" drop at 100 yds when zeroed at 50.?

10 hours ago, mveto said:

This brake looks very similiar to the design of the MBX in regards to the top ports, it does look like the internal shape of the ports is different than the MBX. Should be an effective brake for PCC’s. Looking forward to user reviews once they come out.

The shape of the baffles is what makes a comp effective

5 hours ago, toothandnail said:

The shape of the baffles is what makes a comp effective

What is the length and weight of the Cannibal? Would be nice to figure what barrel length with work best with it. I'd hate to put a 3" comp on a 16" barrel. I really wish there were 13-13.5" PCC barrels around.

The video mentions a titanium version down the road, will there be stainless steel as well or just black and titanium?

19 minutes ago, mellino19 said:

What is the length and weight of the Cannibal? Would be nice to figure what barrel length with work best with it. I'd hate to put a 3" comp on a 16" barrel. I really wish there were 13-13.5" PCC barrels around.

You could get the Taccom Featherweight with no muzzle device, it's only 13.5" long.....

https://taccom3g.com/product/feather-weight-tension-barrel-9mm/

....then attach the Cannibal.

3 minutes ago, MoRivera said:

You could get the Taccom Featherweight with no muzzle device, it's only 13.5" long.....

https://taccom3g.com/product/feather-weight-tension-barrel-9mm/

....then attach the Cannibal.

That's true. Damn it why did I jump at building a second upper before doing research...

One 16" JP barrel with Venom DD brake and ICRW rail, the other is 14.5" Warsport barrel with Venom DD brake and JP MK II rail.

Alright maybe I'll do a third ?

4 minutes ago, mellino19 said:

That's true. Damn it why did I jump at building a second upper before doing research...

One 16" JP barrel with Venom DD brake and ICRW rail, the other is 14.5" Warsport barrel with Venom DD brake and JP MK II rail.

Alright maybe I'll do a third ?

I did the same thing, essentially.  Now I have a whole extra upper assembly with a heavier 16" barrel.....and a 10.5" with a 4.75" KVP linear comp for my 'CT Compliant Other' 9mm AR.  I actually ordered and received the Taccom barrel before the short-barrel was back from pinning/welding at the gunsmith.  I physically can't find time to shoot all these things now.

I'm currently shopping for new gun safes!

Edited by MoRivera
5 minutes ago, MoRivera said:

I did the same thing, essentially.  Now I have a whole extra upper assembly with a heavier 16" barrel.....and a 10.5" with a 4.75" KVP linear comp for my 'CT Compliant Other' 9mm AR.  I actually ordered and received the Taccom barrel before the short-barrel was back from pinning/welding at the gunsmith.  I physically can't find time to shoot all these things now.

I'm currently shopping for new gun safes!

lol - I'm safe shopping this weekend!

But I really do like the ability to play around with uppers now that I have two solid lowers.

Hello: I would suggest you try the zero comp/ thread saver and see what you think. Do some tests at 7 yards with two shots and some transition drills as well. Working up a load and getting the bolt/buffer setup will do more than any comp will in a PCC. The comp may add just enough weight to counterbalance everything but it will add weight hurting your transitions. Lastly if you think the comp looks badass then it must be working. Thanks, Eric

An A2 flash hider with the bottom 3 ports welded up and a washer welded on the end!!!  Works like a charm.  Probably a thread saver would work just as well?

I suspect most comps on PCCs don't do much unless you use very slow burning powder and with a blowback design just as much gas is escaping out the bolt if not more than is going through the comp.  I would like to see some super slow motion video.

Resized_20180824_224418_8379.jpeg

Switched to a fixed Magpul stock, just to get one more evil/scary feature off of it depending on what state I'm shooting in, and ran around 200 rds through her to sight in......

PCC2a.jpg

I do think the the muzzle brake is actually doing something...when I didn't hold the gun to my shoulder as tight, it seemed the the red dot actually bounced down at first.  And then when holding tight, I got less bounce than I did with a heavy 16" steel gov't profile barrel.  Felt more straight back.  It ran great and sighted in quickly.  Handles like a shorty since the weight is concentrated more in the receiver.

Baffle.jpg

Edited by MoRivera