Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Eagle 2011 - To buy or not

LowBoost

Eagles are great guns. If you're getting it for IDPA it's probably one of the best options out there for you since it has the short dust cover and bushing barrel required by those rules. 

It could also moonlight in USPSA also as you could easily take it to those competitions too if you wanted the extra competitive trigger time and do just fine if you're shooting local matches and stuff. Just have to change your magazines. Maybe put on a different magwell. 

Eagles are also typically really well built since they were produced by and large in a time before STI went down the tubes in terms of QC issues. 

I'd say go for it if you're searching for a gun primarily for IDPA especially.

Great! Thanks for the feedback. Exactly what I was looking for.

Ohh one more thing. Holsters... I assume any 1911 holster will work with it?

I see BladeTech Classic OWB for STI Edge, but not for Eagle.

Edited by LowBoost

4 hours ago, LowBoost said:

Sti edge holster should work. 

Edited by bulm540

19 hours ago, pjb45 said:

How is your cash situation?  Can you afford for it to be "tuned" by a real gunsmith?

Also, some holsters might or might not work.  Check their websites before buying.  Do not assume anything.

No worries - I can afford for it to be tuned by a gunsmith, in fact, I can take a quick road-trip and go straight to STI headquarters if needed. :)

I am doing my research on Holsters and Mag carrier. Still looking.

trigger guard is different. At one time BT made a holster specifically for the Eagle Ive got a 6 inch eagle bull barrel. Didnt need any tuning, I changed the safety. and  got rid of the stupid 2 piece guide rod and made a GI style guide rod for it. 

On 8/17/2018 at 8:19 PM, LowBoost said:

I have  Comp-Tac holsters for both an STI Eagle and Edge.  They both work well.  Let me know if you want to buy one

Edited by Balakay

On 8/17/2018 at 2:12 PM, LowBoost said:

Found a really good deal on a new / unfired Eagle. Being discontinued, wonder if I should jump on it?

Intended for IDPA use mostly.

My CKARMS IDPA gun is basically and Eagle with better parts and DLC finish.  While it is a little plain looking it runs and runs and is a lot of fun to shoot.  It has also become my 3gun pistol.  I'd say if the price is right, do it.  That setup will let you play lots of games.

Thanks for the comments! Sorry for the late response. I had to drive 400+ miles each way to purchase Today.

It is brand new and I really like it! Being fairly new to 1911s/2011s I have a few observations and questions if you all don't mind.

1) I was expecting a rear adjustable sight (LPA or Novack). It doesn't have either. It is a fixed sight. I will call STI tomorrow and find out and see if I can get an adjustable sight.

2) It feels great in the hand, although a tiny bit large for my hands. (CZ SP-01 and Shadow2 with Boggies are the perfect size for my hands). I guess I can always try the Extreme Shooters extra-small grip work?

3) Trigger feels really nice, but it seems I have read that I should still get some trigger work done to it?

4) I went to the range and shot 15 rounds of Federal 147JHP. Every shot was perfectly centered (right & left), but they were also low from POA.

5) I tried some Bayou 124s reloads I use for my CZs. 3 shots and each FTE. I am guessing these are too soft for it, which leads me to my last question.

6) Should I try replacing the recoil and mainsprings to softer ones or should I try some hotter reloads? This being said, which weight is mostly used for these STIs? 120/125/147? 

I am trying to find a starting point I can use to build my "ladder". I currently have Titgroup powder (but willing to try anything that really works) Bayou 120s TCG, Precision Delta FMJ 124s, Zero JHP (38 Super .356) which is still 9mm butt .356 instead of .355. I just ordered some Extreme 147s RN to test, but still, no idea on how many propellant grains and COAL to use. (I have never really ended up using COAL closer to my max plunk tests).

I will appreciate any suggestions you can provide. 

Edited by LowBoost

I have an Eagle myself, but it is bull barrel pistol built by Triangle Shooting. Really a lively pistol in the hand. Mine does not have the STI barrel, so this is not apples to apples.

I've never fired anything but jacketed bullets through it and now only use either PD 124 grain JHP or RMR 124 grain Matchwinner bullets (slightly better accuracy with the RMR), and 4.0 grains of Titegroup loaded to 1.15". It is a soft shooting, accurate, and clean load. In multiple 9mm pistols, a variation of this load works fantastic in all. 

I do have a thousand or so Hornady HAP 125 .356" bullets I picked up cheap that haven't shot as good for me in my 9mm's. However, I haven't spent a lot of time on them as the 2 bullets mentioned previously shoot so well. 

A possible consideration using Titegroup is that it has a reputation of not being powdercoat friendly. I know plastic doesn't like it at all. The Hi Tek coating may do better but I've only used powdercoating (I cast and powdercoat for my revolvers but use different powders there).

An STI style frame just feels great in my hand and they seem to be accumulating in my safes for some reason.

14 hours ago, LowBoost said:

Thanks for the comments! Sorry for the late response. I had to drive 400+ miles each way to purchase Today.

It is brand new and I really like it! Being fairly new to 1911s/2011s I have a few observations and questions if you all don't mind.

1) I was expecting a rear adjustable sight (LPA or Novack). It doesn't have either. It is a fixed sight. I will call STI tomorrow and find out and see if I can get an adjustable sight.

2) It feels great in the hand, although a tiny bit large for my hands. (CZ SP-01 and Shadow2 with Boggies are the perfect size for my hands). I guess I can always try the Extreme Shooters extra-small grip work?

3) Trigger feels really nice, but it seems I have read that I should still get some trigger work done to it?

4) I went to the range and shot 15 rounds of Federal 147JHP. Every shot was perfectly centered (right & left), but they were also low from POA.

5) I tried some Bayou 124s reloads I use for my CZs. 3 shots and each FTE. I am guessing these are too soft for it, which leads me to my last question.

6) Should I try replacing the recoil and mainsprings to softer ones or should I try some hotter reloads? This being said, which weight is mostly used for these STIs? 120/125/147? 

I am trying to find a starting point I can use to build my "ladder". I currently have Titgroup powder (but willing to try anything that really works) Bayou 120s TCG, Precision Delta FMJ 124s, Zero JHP (38 Super .356) which is still 9mm butt .356 instead of .355. I just ordered some Extreme 147s RN to test, but still, no idea on how many propellant grains and COAL to use. (I have never really ended up using COAL closer to my max plunk tests).

I will appreciate any suggestions you can provide. 

Congrats on the find! Shooting at PSC or ??

1 - Look at Dawson Precision for sights. Follow their site calculator & order a new front. But beware if you change loads, your POI will change too.

2 - Give it a little time before changing the grip. It'll probably become normal feeling.

3 - No, don't mess with the trigger yet. Learn the gun first. If/when you do, give Lone Star Innovations a call/email, he is in the Spring area.

4 - Good!

5 - Change the recoil spring to ~9/10lb for our light gamer loads, it should be just fine with the CZ loads.

6 - As mentioned above, drop in an 18lb main spring and 9/10lb recoil spring & you'll be good to do.

I'm still a fan of 124/5 grain bullets, Blue Bullets have been my choice over the last year.  I'd recommend to just pick a bullet weight (124/5 or 147) and go to town. As mentioned, with fixed sights the POI will change between bullet weights / loads.

TG will be about 3.2gr with a 147 for power factor and 3.7gr with a 124/5 for power factor. Have fun & enjoy the STI!

2 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

Congrats on the find! Shooting at PSC or ??

1 - Look at Dawson Precision for sights. Follow their site calculator & order a new front. But beware if you change loads, your POI will change too.

2 - Give it a little time before changing the grip. It'll probably become normal feeling.

3 - No, don't mess with the trigger yet. Learn the gun first. If/when you do, give Lone Star Innovations a call/email, he is in the Spring area.

4 - Good!

5 - Change the recoil spring to ~9/10lb for our light gamer loads, it should be just fine with the CZ loads.

6 - As mentioned above, drop in an 18lb main spring and 9/10lb recoil spring & you'll be good to do.

I'm still a fan of 124/5 grain bullets, Blue Bullets have been my choice over the last year.  I'd recommend to just pick a bullet weight (124/5 or 147) and go to town. As mentioned, with fixed sights the POI will change between bullet weights / loads.

TG will be about 3.2gr with a 147 for power factor and 3.7gr with a 124/5 for power factor. Have fun & enjoy the STI!

Scott:

Nice to see you around in this thread! I just started in USPSA, but most likely I will just use the Shadow2 for that (for now) and the STI for IDPA.

I will look up and order the recoil and mainspring you suggested. I am certainly a fan of 124 bullets as well. Now trying Bayou 120s since they no longer make 124s.

Trying to settle with a single bullet all around. With the STI and the new 120s I have to start all over again (Including CZs).

I'll send you an email to catch up on USPA/IDPA schedule. Looking to shoot during the week closer to our area if available.  

I did a grip reduction on my Eagle and then a silicon carbide job, it was very grippy and a better profile. I second the 9/10 recoil and 17/18 main springs.

Mine was in .40 and I had trouble getting mags and slide lock to work in a combo that would also fit the box.

The sights on mine were switched as well. Accurate gun.

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Mine was in .40 and I had trouble getting mags and slide lock to work in a combo that would also fit the box.

Not sure if it's different with a .40, don't have a 126 to test, but 126 mags, stock STI followers and 140mm springs have worked great for making my 9mm lock back when it is supposed to.

My 9mm eagle and a friends were a bit honery about feeding reliably, this went away completely after purchase and use of a Dawson mag tuning kit. 

You may not need it, but for my gun and mag combination it was the difference between a ftf each match and zero issues. 

I do not understand why they went to a fixed sight on that gun, mine is older and came with adjustable. 

Absolutely!

I'm running a 13# recoil / 17# hammer in my Eagle-framed gun, but that's in a .45 with a lightened slide. I have 11#/17# in my Para 9mm and seems to like that with my 147gr 132 PF 9mm loads.

Like people who are smarter than me have said - springing will depend on the load you settle on. Always a good idea to get a variety pack of springs so you can adjust.

On 8/20/2018 at 3:25 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

My 9mm eagle and a friends were a bit honery about feeding reliably, this went away completely after purchase and use of a Dawson mag tuning kit. 

You may not need it, but for my gun and mag combination it was the difference between a ftf each match and zero issues. 

I do not understand why they went to a fixed sight on that gun, mine is older and came with adjustable. 

Well, I have checked extractor tension and performed multiple checks. The gun seems to be perfect except for the POA/POI sights issue that will be taken care of.

I watched a few videos on tuning mags/feeding lips and I measured my mags. They are certainly not to "specs" as the openings are wider than those specified by Atlas or Dawson.

Will the Dawson mag tuning tool also work to close the lips or is it only to open it up?