Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Virginia count xtra shot

xpierrat

Was ROing a shooter today and the stage called for 3 shots per target... he had a malfunction after his third shot on a target and when he cleared it he reengaged the target putting a 4th round in the target. When we scored it sure enough there was a xtra  hole so he was given a penalty  ... question should I have also assessed one for a xtra shot? Seems like this would be a double penalty for the same thing but if in shooting one was to realize they missed and did a make up then the number of hits would be correct (3 ) but you knew he made a xtra shot ( again it was Virginia count.

6 hours ago, xpierrat said:

Was ROing a shooter today and the stage called for 3 shots per target... he had a malfunction after his third shot on a target and when he cleared it he reengaged the target putting a 4th round in the target. When we scored it sure enough there was a xtra  hole so he was given a penalty  ... question should I have also assessed one for a xtra shot? Seems like this would be a double penalty for the same thing but if in shooting one was to realize they missed and did a make up then the number of hits would be correct (3 ) but you knew he made a xtra shot ( again it was Virginia count.

Geeez! Why were you ROing if you don't know such a basic rule?

Extra shot penalties are assessed based on the actual number of shots fired, regardless of what you find when you go to score the targets. 

Extra hit penalties are assessed based on the number of hits on each target, regardless of the number of shots fired. Hard cover misses and no shoot hits don’t count. 

6 hours ago, Brooke said:

Geeez! Why were you ROing if you don't know such a basic rule?

Hey everyone has to start somewhere, cudo's for stepping up and working.

Go on line to uspsa.org and download the rule book, it will even help you as a competitor.

There are several multiple penalty points, another is a failure to engage FTE, you get the misses and an FTE.

This...

23 hours ago, harleytech said:

Extra shot is earned at the line of fire. Extra hit is earned at the target.

Is an easy way to remember this...

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:15 AM, DKorn said:

Extra shot penalties are assessed based on the actual number of shots fired, regardless of what you find when you go to score the targets. 

Extra hit penalties are assessed based on the number of hits on each target, regardless of the number of shots fired. Hard cover misses and no shoot hits don’t count. 

On 8/12/2018 at 12:57 PM, harleytech said:

Extra shot is earned at the line of fire. Extra hit is earned at the target.

Well said. When I went to RO class, it was emphasized that the extra shots be assessed at the shooting box and the extra hits when scoring targets.

Kudos to the OP for stepping up and ROing. Hopefully, in the future there's some experienced CRO's around at the match to answer his questions so he doesn't have to come home and ask the "experts" on the interwebs. Take the RO class if you get a chance. Even if you don't RO, you learn LOTS about the rules.

OP- thank you for supporting the sport by helping to RO the match.  Without support from folks such as you, and the folks that build the stages, our sport wouldn't be able to survive.  I'm also glad that you asked your question, not only for you to learn from, but from the others that read this post in the future.

Thanks for all the positive replies...even little Brookie ( you must be a great fishermen BTW )  I have taken the RO school and yes I was pretty sure that it was two penalties but left it alone because I was not sure and the squad was full of certified ROs and no one else brought it up or caught it either ( local fun match )... At 71 I don't RO USPSA much as I would have trouble keeping up with the younger hot guns... So I usually step up and do the classifier as there is usually no or minimal movement to give the other ROs a little break. I mainly RO SCSA matches and I am much better versed in SCSA rules which do not require much in the way of movement.

Again Thanks