Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder charges ??

I know there has to be an easier way to test Powder loads on my 650 . Currently I’m turning off the case feeder with .556 brass and use a Zip tie to disable primer system. I then process a couple of 9mm cases at a time and weigh each. I’m experimenting with major loads and this is a slow tedious process.

Any experiences with improving my process ?......Thanks in advance 

I just installed the primer stop that PhillySoldier posted a link to. Works great.

Adjusting powder takes a little time, but it's made easier if you get a numbered dial, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077J5DVRP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That way, you can write down the loads and easily get back to them, tweak them, etc.

To change my powder drop, I dont have primers or brass in my 650.  I just take a fired case, slide it in under powder drop & pull handle.  If I want to check several, I just feed them in by hand under powder drop.  To change volume I make an adjustment to the drop, fill a couple of cases, dump the powder back into hopper, then fill & weigh a case.  I always just use a fired case with used primer still intact.  

12 hours ago, mlmiller1 said:

To change my powder drop, I dont have primers or brass in my 650.  I just take a fired case, slide it in under powder drop & pull handle.  If I want to check several, I just feed them in by hand under powder drop.  To change volume I make an adjustment to the drop, fill a couple of cases, dump the powder back into hopper, then fill & weigh a case.  I always just use a fired case with used primer still intact.  

That's how I do it.  It is simple, it doesn't void the warranty, and I don't have to spend money on gadgets.

I disconnect the fail-safe rod and manually actuate 10 powder drops into a lightweight container and then weigh it.  The 10 drops is easy to convert in your head and provides an average of what to expect. 

I don't load for absolute precision, so using an average is fine for me.

6 hours ago, muncie21 said:

I disconnect the fail-safe rod and manually actuate 10 powder drops into a lightweight container and then weigh it.  The 10 drops is easy to convert in your head and provides an average of what to expect. 

I don't load for absolute precision, so using an average is fine for me.

Actually your process is more revealing than weighing individual charges unless you go to the bother of adding them all up and averaging them.  The Dillon powder measure is good for +/- 1/10th of a grain so if I'm trying to hit 4.4 grains, for example, I get a good result by weighing 10 charges and dividing by 10.  Then I can dial the charge up or down to hit close to my goal.

8 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

Actually your process is more revealing than weighing individual charges unless you go to the bother of adding them all up and averaging them.  The Dillon powder measure is good for +/- 1/10th of a grain so if I'm trying to hit 4.4 grains, for example, I get a good result by weighing 10 charges and dividing by 10.  Then I can dial the charge up or down to hit close to my goal.

Same here but I leave everything connected and pull the handle 10 times into an empty case. I can’t help but think the drop is more representative of what I’m actually throwing during Reloading.

On 6/29/2018 at 8:36 AM, jhgtyre said:

That's how I do it.  It is simple, it doesn't void the warranty, and I don't have to spend money on gadgets.

What in the posts in this thread voids the warranty on the press?

Anything that modifies the press that will not damage other parts will not impact the warranty.

Repeat this ad infinitum ...

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

On the other hand, Dillon has made it very clear using a primer pocket swager will void the warranty on the 650 press because it applies forces to parts that the press is not designed to take.  The damage is very clear, distinctive and diagnosed.  

Another example is is when some person took a 650 camming pin with a bearing roller and adjusted the bearing to be perpendicular to the camming ramp which then carved a groove on the camming ramp.  That is not covered and the person who did this should not even own a progressive press. 

?

Dillon is not responsible for any damage to these modifications nor will they replace any modifications.  

Other than that, they have an incredible warranty and they bend over backwards to service their customers.

They even replace worn out parts which is unheard of in any industry I deal with.