Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What PF do you aim to make?

Helios

Whatever gives good accuracy and impeccable reliabilty.

Super super soft ammo is overrated.

I stagger-loaded a magazine with titegroup/147/130pf ammo and 124/primaV/138pf ammo.

You could not feel the difference in recoil. Load accurate bullets well above PF for steel and the like, shoot them, and enjoy being worry free.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

32 minutes ago, RePete said:

It is in competition.  Go under and you are DQ'd or at best, shooting for fun.

You might want to read my entire post.

(Which I just edited for clarity.)

It was a headshake at those who skirt PF. I shoot a lot of matches. At 135-137. With ammo that gives up nothing to the guys who skirt 126.25pf with their 147s.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 7/30/2018 at 3:41 PM, RePete said:

Why bother to make the PF change for production?  Why not just stick with 135 then there won't be a problem that is possible with two different ammo's.

Forgot to add that I use 125's in Production at around 132-135pf, and 115's in PCC.  The 115's are too snappy out of a pistol for me but run the PCC great.  Tried 125's, 135 and 147's in the PCC and the 115's feel the best. 

On 7/31/2018 at 8:19 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Whatever gives good accuracy and impeccable reliabilty.

Super super soft ammo is overrated.

I stagger-loaded a magazine with titegroup/147/130pf ammo and 124/primaV/138pf ammo.

You could not feel the difference in recoil. Load accurate bullets well above PF for steel and the like, shoot them, and enjoy being worry free. 

This is what my feelings are.... I load to a 133.  I use 124 Bayou and Vectan 9.5.  I feel its more important to get used to the timing of your load in your gun rather than the "softness".

Edited by oddjob

We see a lot people's chrono results here and in other similar forums, extreme spreads of 30+ with mixed brass are common.  It's not rare to see people report 50+.

An extreme spread of 8 is worth 1PF with 124/125gr bullets, and 7 feet/sec is 1PF with 147gr bullets.  So an ES of just  30 is worth a PF spread of about 4. 

People should keep that in mind when they start to get it in their head that they like a particular PF because the truth is that they experience PF swings of at least 3 or 4, if not 5 or 6 or 7, from one round to the next, and they never notice in practice. 

In other words, a PF of 130 is more than likely a PF of 128-132 (or even broader),  and if with the same powder and bullet, you think you can tell the difference in feel between Load A with a PF range of 128-132 and Load B with a PF range 130-134, you're nuts - - they overlap. And if you're giving up accuracy to chase that average PF load of 130 because you've convinced yourself that the extra one or two tenths of a grain of powder that knocks it up to an average PF of 132 or 134 is going to impact your times... If that's the case, the action shooting internet hive mind has played a terrible trick on you. 

When you think about this stuff, always remember that there are guys at your matches shooting .40 major at PF170+ and killing you on splits. ;)

Recoil control is about grip and stance., not shaving off a few measly foot-pounds at the muzzle.