Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What PF do you aim to make?

Helios

Curious what PF you aim to make for USPSA minor. Apologies if this has been answered but I wasn’t able to find a lot.

I did some chrono testing with my CED Pro Digital chrono and found the following based on 10 shot groups from my match gun:

PF 131.2 ES 21 SD 7

PF 134.5 ES 34 SD 11 

PF 138.6 ES 16 SD 4 

138 seems way too high so the debate is 131 vs 134. My loads were using VV N320 which is allegedly pretty temperature stable. 

In general, what PF are you comfortable with? 

Curious what PF you aim to make for USPSA minor. Apologies if this has been answered but I wasn’t able to find a lot.

I did some chrono testing with my CED Pro Digital chrono and found the following based on 10 shot groups from my match gun:
PF 131.2 ES 21 SD 7
PF 134.5 ES 34 SD 11 
PF 138.6 ES 16 SD 4 

138 seems way too high so the debate is 131 vs 134. My loads were using VV N320 which is allegedly pretty temperature stable. 

In general, what PF are you comfortable with? 
I target a 130K PF. You also need to look at the SD of the load to ensure you don't have a significant portion of your distribution falling under minor PF.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I prefer to be at or over 130. I let accuracy pick the specific. Obviously if I actually felt one's recoil is making the gun act in a unacceptable manner it'd be ruled out. I've run a whole lot of loads over the chrono between 124 and 136ish, most are indistuingishable by feel.

Ok I think I should be ok with my 131 PF load then. My average velocity was 879fps with SD = 7 so unless I’m misunderstanding I’ve got a good margin of safety. 

ETA: bullets are TBB 147gr which average 149.2gr. 

Edited by Helios

28 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I like to fire 20 shots thru my Chrony, and have ALL of them hit 125.0+    :) 

Jack, try firing them OVER the chrono next time...no need to kill your chrono every time you work up a load.

34 minutes ago, Youngeyes said:

I run at 134 PF with a standard deviation on my loads of 9. What load are you using to get your 134? Bullet. COL etc.

TBB 147RN (149gr)

3.2gr VV N320

Federal once fired brass

CCI SPP

1.148” OAL 

Glock 34 gen 4 factory barrel 

Depending on powder, I used to load my minor ammo to 135 so it would account for altitude and temperature variations. If you don't travel to places different from home, that becomes less of a consideration. You don't need to compensate for what it will do in other guns, chrono at a major match is checked using your gun. I don't shoot minor anymore so I load to 173 (or so)?

17 hours ago, Sarge said:

7 over

This.  Even though my SDs are good enough to run lower and still have the slowest round make PF, I don't.  I want extra insurance to make up for a slow chrono or improper chrono technique.  The minuscule extra recoil makes no difference to me.

16 hours ago, Youngeyes said:

I run at 134 PF with a standard deviation on my loads of 9. ....

Same here. I notice no difference between 125pf & 138pf when shooting a drill/match pace.

I'm pretty comfortable targeting 130 PF.  That said, I usually have 12 FPS or lower SD, I don't travel far from home to shoot, and I'm not using a wide variety of guns.  If I was expecting the same load to work in a bunch of guns, I'd figure out which gun has the "slowest" barrel, make sure that one makes 130+, and further make sure that load runs acceptably in the other guns.

Given that it's a shooting sport, I aim for accuracy, so I'm crazy?  I guess?  ;)   

I look for the most accurate load above a PF of 130, which is typically somewhere between 132 and 137.

^^^ this. Priority for me is accuracy. Of course id prefere the recoil being as light as possible but not at the expense of losing accuracy. Similar to the above im usually in the 131 to 138 power factor range but  I'd go even hotter if the results showed better accuracy. 

Edited by PhillySoldier

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, blaster113 said:

For PCC I like to load 115's at 138-140 pf.  The rifle seems to run better with the ammo a little warmer.  For Production, 132 pf for locals and 135 pf for majors. 

Why bother to make the PF change for production?  Why not just stick with 135 then there won't be a problem that is possible with two different ammo's.