Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bo-mar Pin Broke

mhearn

The pin on the front of my Bo-Mar combat sight for my STI broke in half.

This is the pin that runs all the way through the sight and acts as a hinge for the sight so the rear of the sight can move up and down when you adjust the elevation screw.

After I got the pin out and took the sight apart by taking the elevation screw out, I noticed a spring that is held in place by this pin. This spring runs through a hole in the front of the sight to a tension pin that works in conjuction with the elevation screw.

Here's the question. Anybody know where I can get a replacement pin? Assuming I can get a pin or fabricate a substitute, how do you get the spring back into its hole and the pin through behind it. That spring has to be pushed up into its area and the pin slid pass. Seems impossible. What's the trick?

Or should I forget the whole thing and order a replacement sight?

MHearn

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That happened to my gun at one time. I thought it was easier to just replace the whole sight. If the pin broke, it was prob under some kind of stress. I would trust a new sight over a replacement sight.

Or you could ask Erik Warren what to do.

If it is an STI sight that looks like the Bomar, (should say "STI" on the top), call Chris at STI. He sent me a couple replacement pins and springs no charge. I guess STI sights have a reputation for breaking the pin. The replacement pin is supposed to be stronger, and he told me they are slightly bigger in diameter. I had to ream the hole a little. I depressed the spring through the front of the sight body, (you should see the hole from the front of the sight) with a very small punch, then tapped in the new pin. Whole thing took 10 minutes. You are correct, the spring provides detent tension for the elevation screw. I replaced the pin on my Trojan, and have had no further problems.

OPENB

Thanks for the tip. Mine is not the STI clone. Its a BO-MAR. I wonder if the STI pin will work. The sights look identical.

I'm assumming that you used a very small drill bit to ream the hole. So, you just happened to have a bit the exact size of the oversized new pin! And, a punch the same size as that itsy bitsy spring! Man, you guys have alot more stuff laying around than I do.

MHearn

That happened to my gun at one time. I thought it was easier to just replace the whole sight. If the pin broke, it was prob under some kind of stress. I would trust a new sight over a replacement sight. 

Or you could ask Erik Warren what to do.

You don't want to ask him :blink: ............... He had his slide welded up and recut for fixed sights.............

:D

Thanks. Some good ideas.

Here's what Joey Hardy suggested and it worked. I bought a 5/64" drill bit. Just a bit larger than the pin. Used it to slightly enlarge the hole. Then, ground the bit down to length and used it as the new pin. I put a piece of the old pin into the hole after grinding the end to an angle to push the spring up into place. The only hard part was braiding the ends of the pins to secure them into the sight.

MHearn

The hinge pin of my Bo-Mar broke for the X-time, blade was loose too, purchased a Chinese knock-off (34 Euro's via HPS) after 1K...guess what... hinge pin broke again.

(BTW, this always happens during matches <_< )

Blade is OK, so I decided to repair it myself this time. Springs used in Porsche brake-calipers had just the diameter I needed. I manufactured a hinge-pin using this steel and it worked untill now 10K.

:ph34r: Just German steel after all,.... alike my car B)

I lost faith in Bo-Mars quality :unsure:

Does anybody know what the real dia. of the hinge pins are *supposed* to be. I did the 1/16 allen trick, but it's milking around a lot side to side. My calipers show the holes to be somewhere in the .070" range +/- .002".

I can buy 1/16" (.0625) rod or 5/64 (.078125"). I just wonder if I ream the hole to 5/64, if I'm simply going to break the entire sight instead of just the hinge.

As is evident from the number of posts this is a common problem with Bo-Mar type sights. My gunsmith uses the 5/64 drill rod as a replacement with good results. I went with fixed.

I can buy 1/16" (.0625) rod or 5/64 (.078125").  I just wonder if I ream the hole to 5/64, if I'm simply going to break the entire sight instead of just the hinge.

I wouldn't ream anything. I took the broken pin and my calipers to Home Depot and found a bright steel finish nail that was about .002" wider diam than the pin. I cut a piece and filed the ends, then filed the "center notch" for the spring to snap into and drove the "nail pin" in and it is dead tight and rock solid. Nails are made of much tougher steel (also softer) but will last forever.

I'm working on what I think may be a neat solution. I'm going to try and get some special clips worked up that you can push onto each end of the hinge pin to prevent it from walking out. Yeah, it means having a pin that sticks out each side a tiny bit, but I think the end result will be worth it.

For now, I've got a box of 1/16" hex keys. I'm thinking about selling little baggies of BoMar "hinges" for a nominal price. Hopefully the fastener will work and I'll have a little hinge kit for people. :)

The pin broke on my STI Bo-Mar clone.  I replaced it with a finishing nail.  Cut the point and the head off with a Dremel cutting wheel and used a tiny drop of blue loctite. 

It has held for thousands of rounds with no problems.

If it is like the Bomar clone on my Trojan, you MUST file a groove in the center for the spring to snap into (the internal spring that puts prssure on the elevation screw detent holding pin). That spring locking into the slot in the pin is also what keeps it from walking out.

FYI, you can find a nail a couple of thou oversized of the pin and you will definitely not need Loctite. In fact, it has to be tapped in with a punch.