Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bo-mar Pin Broke

mhearn

I'm working on what I think may be a neat solution.  I'm going to try and get some special clips worked up that you can push onto each end of the hinge pin to prevent it from walking out.  Yeah, it means having a pin that sticks out each side a tiny bit, but I think the end result will be worth it. 

The "oversize nail" trick works as well. It will never come loose, in fact it takes some doing to get it in. Then you just file the ends off flush. I did that on my Trojan .40 and it has never moved.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bomar replacement springs can be had from Gil Hebard Guns (309.289.2700 - guess which shooting sport they started with!). No website.

I'd dearly love to find a fixed rear sight to replace my Bomar without having to replace/reweld the slide. I think SDM made one a few years ago and it didn't sell, so they dropped them...a month before I called them. The story of my life...

The spring on my Bomar that holds the up/down adjustment screw lost its tension. I contacted them and they sent me a whole new insert free of charge which I fitted. I live in South Africa.

With service like that - I highly recommend them

BROWNELLS has repair kits for STI / Bomar sights. the new sight pin is smooth, so take a file and make a small indention where the middle tension spring can get a bite. use something to hold the sring out of the way and drive the pin through and your done. the indention will allow the spring to keep the pin from sliding out under fire.

• 6 months later...

That groove in the pin is where they always break, acts as a stress riser. Replace the pin with a allen key, nail or what ever you wish, but dont put the groove on the new pin. Sharpen the end of the new pin and use it to drive out whats left of the old pin, cut it off , leaving about a 1/16 sticking out and peen these ends.-----Larry

My Bo-Mar broke again. Can anyone give me a web address, phone number, or some kind of contact information on Bo-Mar?

MHearn

If you drilled it out a bomar replacement may not work. If you do not want to take Brian's advise and buy the best adj sight ever made IMHO. Try some piano wire from Brownells. On the allen key what I did once on a non-wilson was to find one just a little larger than your hole and slowly file the corners down till it starts to fit. I then hammerd away till it came out the other side. Boy it was tight,,,,,I mean full,,,,you know what I mean. I cut off both ends so there was just a little left over and hammered them so they would flair some. Never had to replace it again.

Can anyone give me a web address, phone number, or some kind of contact information on Bo-Mar?

If it's a true Bo-Mar and not just a STI copy then you will want to contact Bo-Mar at

B0-MAR TOOL AND MANUFACTURING CO., INC.

6136 State Highway 300

Longview, Texas 75604

Phone: 1- 903- 759- 4784

B0-MAR TOOL AND MANUFACTURING CO., INC.

6136 State Highway 300

Longview, Texas 75604

Phone: 1- 903- 759- 4784

Thanks. Thats what I needed

Mhearn

Edited by mhearn

I've never had mine apart enough to help you with the spring. But when my pin broke I replaced it with an allen key and lock tite. It's held up over a year with that.

I did the same thing, jammed it in and cut it to the appropriate length. Cut it, applied loc tite and reassembled. No problems since, however I did have a Heinie rear fixed sight installed when I got my newest custom gun.

Special Thanks to Scott Wilson at HK-USA. How many of us happen to have a spare set of Bo-Mars in their bag that they'll give a guy in need?

Thanks Scott. His comment was, "I'm glad that the sight worked out for you. A lot of guys have been really helpful as I get involved in the sport (USPSA), and it's nice to get a

chance to "pay it forward".

MHearn

The hinge pin of my Bo-Mar broke for the X-time, blade was loose too, purchased a Chinese knock-off (34 Euro's via HPS) after 1K...guess what... hinge pin broke again.

(BTW, this always happens during matches <_< )

Blade is OK, so I decided to repair it myself this time. Springs used in Porsche brake-calipers had just the diameter I needed. I manufactured a hinge-pin using this steel and it worked untill now 10K.

:ph34r: Just German steel after all,.... alike my car B)

I lost faith in Bo-Mars quality :unsure:

The Porsche-pin still works! ;)

My STI clone adjustable rear pin keeps creeping out. I have tried superglue, and it does not hold. I have also tried peening it with a punch but that hasnt worked either. Do I need some sort of special 'peener' (damn, that sounds dirty).