Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best "budget" Heavy Metal Pistol?

Benl

I occasionally shoot Heavy Metal division (~ 5-10 times a year), currently using a 1911 (10 round mags), but would like to start shooting a double stack for the extra rounds.

I don't want to spend a fortune on it.

I have an SV Infinity that I shoot well, but a new top end in 45ACP would be $$$$$. I've shot an M&P with an Apex forward set trigger that was good, but at only 10 rounds, I'm not picking up anything. I have an FNX in 45ACP, but I'm not accurate at speed because of the mushy SA/DA trigger. I know the XD is available in "competition ready" 45ACP, but it's made in Croatia (pass.)

I'm considering a Glock G41 with TT mag bases. 17+1 and can probably get a decent trigger for it; I don't care for Glock's point angle, but think I can overcome that with a little practice.

Before I start down the Glock road (not a big Glock guy), are there any options I'm missing?

Edited by Benl

Not too many "budget" doublestack options in .45acp for gaming purposes.  Glock is certainly going to have the strongest aftermarket support by a million miles.  The other option I can think of is the SAR K2 which is a CZ clone. You can tune the trigger like a CZ, polish the internal components, and (probably) find some replacement springs and get it down to a a great pull weight. Mag capacity is 14+1. Only costs around $450. However, you'll likely run into issues finding a good holster and replacement match sights. You'll need to do some independent research to confirm part availability and thoughts on competition usage. I just know it exists, I don't really know much else about it.

Actually, the FNX might be your best choice. There are a couple smiths out there who can do wonderful things with FN triggers. It's never going to be anything like your SV, but it will work.  It will be way cheaper to improve your FNX over buying a new pistol and getting into a whole new platform.

Edited by ClangClang

3 hours ago, ClangClang said:

Not too many "budget" doublestack options in .45acp for gaming purposes.  Glock is certainly going to have the strongest aftermarket support by a million miles.  The other option I can think of is the SAR K2 which is a CZ clone. You can tune the trigger like a CZ, polish the internal components, and (probably) find some replacement springs and get it down to a a great pull weight. Mag capacity is 14+1. Only costs around $450. However, you'll likely run into issues finding a good holster and replacement match sights. You'll need to do some independent research to confirm part availability and thoughts on competition usage. I just know it exists, I don't really know much else about it.

Actually, the FNX might be your best choice. There are a couple smiths out there who can do wonderful things with FN triggers. It's never going to be anything like your SV, but it will work.  It will be way cheaper to improve your FNX over buying a new pistol and getting into a whole new platform.

I'd like that option, as I already have the mags and holster (bladetech) for it. I really don't care if it stays SA/DA; if it becomes a SA with a crisp, predictable trigger, that's good enough for me.

My googlefu is weak. Do you know of any quality smiths working on FN hammer fired pistols?

Check the rules at the matches you shoot- Do they allow more than 10+1 for Heavy Metal?  I've shot a bunch of major matches in HM, and none of the ones I've shot allow it.

But, the G41 is a winner.  I have one- accurate, reliable, typical Glock.  And feels much better than the G21.

8 hours ago, Bryan 45 said:

Check the rules at the matches you shoot- Do they allow more than 10+1 for Heavy Metal?  I've shot a bunch of major matches in HM, and none of the ones I've shot allow it.

But, the G41 is a winner.  I have one- accurate, reliable, typical Glock.  And feels much better than the G21.

Up until this year, every place I shot 3G required a 45ACP single stack for Heavy Metal (could used extended mags, so long as it was <171mm.) This year, one place switched to USPSA Multigun, so double stack 45acp's are in play.

They were all runnin' and gunnin' and there I was changing mags like a jackass. :-)

I did pick up a G41 MOS, after all. SSVI trigger, Carver mag well, Ghost EVO Elite connector, Ghost springs. On the way, Dawson Precision sights, TTI mag extensions, and a KKM threaded barrel. This will get me to 17+1 and still fit in the USPSA box (although I didn't consider the length the threaded barrel would add...)

G41.jpg

Edited by Benl

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

If you’re wanting to go the polymer route but don’t like the Glock, I would look into the Smith & Wesson M&P 45. They have decent after market support and it has a similar grip angle to what you currently have. The 2.0 has a much better trigger and an awesome grip texture. I personally like Glocks but the S&W 45 guns seem to have a more comfortable grip, the Glock 45 & 10mm have huge grips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If we are talking budget, why not give the SAR K2 45 a whirl? They go for $400 or less, has a 14 round magazine capacity which can be increased with a P14 extended basepad, and dropping in a 14 lb hammer spring reduces the DA pull considerably without sacrificing reliability. The only real downsides is lack of aftermarket support, specifically in the sights department.

2 hours ago, himurax13 said:

If we are talking budget, why not give the SAR K2 45 a whirl? They go for $400 or less, has a 14 round magazine capacity which can be increased with a P14 extended basepad, and dropping in a 14 lb hammer spring reduces the DA pull considerably without sacrificing reliability. The only real downsides is lack of aftermarket support, specifically in the sights department.

I keep ALMOST buying one of these, but lack of aftermarket support keeps frightening me off. They come up in discussion surprisingly frequently. Seems like someone could build a fairly successful niche market modifying all the CZ and Tanfo parts that are kind of sort of similar but not quite identical to fit....

I keep ALMOST buying one of these, but lack of aftermarket support keeps frightening me off. They come up in discussion surprisingly frequently. Seems like someone could build a fairly successful niche market modifying all the CZ and Tanfo parts that are kind of sort of similar but not quite identical to fit....

TBH, they are not too bad out of the box. I bought 2 for home defense and maybe the occasional IDPA match. I really dig the ergos even though I have small girly hands. I am sure most Tanfo Parts can be made to work.

I am thinking of replacing the trigger with an extreme DA/SA or an 85 combat trigger.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Para canadian P-14 if you can find one, will need internals but should be similar in feel to your SV.
Dont know wh you poo pooed the XDM,, from Croatia then immediately went to Austrian.. Whats the difference ? I am a long time 1911, then para, then 2011. Never shot plastic. Recently got an XDM 9mm OSP for carry optics.. I love this thing,,, just add bullets and go shoot. The grip angle has a very 2011 feel to it. Personally as you mentioned you are a 2011 guy Id say jump all over the comp XDM 45. Good guns.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'll make the Totally Twisted suggestion...a Star Megastar 45.

Shoots .45-acp or .45-Super without changing anything.

Progressive springs make switching ammo rather easy. 

12 rd mags or 10-rd California mags available.

Downside...no longer in production, Star went out of Biz...

but if you can work your way around a Browning Hi Power,

ain't nothing on a Star ya can't fix ;)

I use S&W 4506 .45-SUPER recoil springs for replacements.

Guy on the Spanish Pistols board makes replacement FP's,

get 3-4 and you're good for 50 years +

It is a BEAST, only thing bigger is a DEAGLE, but that makes it

rather soft to shoot, weight soaks recoil so nicely it feels like a 9mm!

Of course, you better be a big ole SOB like me to wield it :D 

Megastar 45.JPG