Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX magazines

glocklover

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 7-ish MBX mags from 140-170.  I had one 140 that caused me several issues, bullets going below the follower, and rounds nose-diving (indication of improper feed lip dimensions.).  MBX offered to send a replacement mag free of charge through the retailer I got them from.  As soon as I identified that the mag is an issue, it got moved to the side and I don't run it in matches.  All the other mags run great in several guns.  

My older style STI tubes are getting to the point where they don't run reliably, so as they start having issues I move them to the practice pile.

On 5/7/2018 at 11:52 AM, bluedevil008 said:

Anyone been able to figure out how to reliably fit 30 in a 170?

You have to use them for a while, once the spring sets you should get 30. I have 2 and so do friends of mine and we all can get 30 in a 170. I do have to use a loader to get the last round in.

8 hours ago, SWprotected said:

You have to use them for a while, once the spring sets you should get 30. I have 2 and so do friends of mine and we all can get 30 in a 170. I do have to use a loader to get the last round in.

9mm or 38sc?

I haven't seen 30 usable in 9 yet. 

25 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

I use Grams springs and followers...  get 29, but need to use an UpLula to get the last round in...  9mm.

Why switch?  Most of the appeal of MBX is that they are turnkey.  Doesn't sound like switching gains you anything.

Granted, I did have that one issue with the one MBX with rounds getting underneath the follower, which one could argue is because of the size of the MBX ones and may be more prone to that issue than other brands.   Still, as I mentioned before, MBX replaced that mag for me at no cost.

8 minutes ago, bluedevil008 said:

Why switch?  Most of the appeal of MBX is that they are turnkey.  Doesn't sound like switching gains you anything.

Granted, I did have that one issue with the one MBX with rounds getting underneath the follower, which one could argue is because of the size of the MBX ones and may be more prone to that issue than other brands.   Still, as I mentioned before, MBX replaced that mag for me at no cost.

Exactly that...  Rounds getting underneath the follower...  I used to bend them back, but they'd keep bending...

When I went to get extra magazines, I bought the MBX tube and base plate separate along with the Grams followers and springs...  about the same price.

2 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Exactly that...  Rounds getting underneath the follower...  I used to bend them back, but they'd keep bending...

When I went to get extra magazines, I bought the MBX tube and base plate separate along with the Grams followers and springs...  about the same price.

Cool, good to know thanks!

9 hours ago, echotango said:

9mm or 38sc?

I haven't seen 30 usable in 9 yet. 

9mm, both of my 170s will hold 30 so I can start a stage with 31, I also have a 155mm and it will hold 27. I usually don't load 30 in the 170 unless I feel I need the insurance.

I will say I bought my magazines a couple of years ago, I don't know if there is a difference between them and the new ones.

Edited by SWprotected
Added info

I've had great luck with 140mm and 170mm MBX mags. The only problem I had was the follower popping up out the front of the feed lips and dragging across the disconnector railnon the slide. Problem was resolved quickly with help from Adrian at MBX. Little tweaking on the spring coils close to the follower and never had another issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I must be the odd one. I have 2 old sti 170 and one 155 MBX. The sti run flawless and have from day one. The mbx gave me trouble from day one. I emailed mbx (couldn't find a phone # for them). Of course no response to my emails. So I tuned the feed lips and slightly bent the spring. It now works but it's my last resort magazine. Cheaper for me to buy the sti and grams followers that work out of the box.

I just built my first open 9major 2011 last fall. The MBX price was steep, Soo bought 2 STI Gen 2 140's and one 170.

Nothing but trouble. TT base pads and Gram's guts. Got the 140's running reliable but never the 170.

Followed Atlas's directions on the Gen 2 mods and it fixed the 140's but I would still get nosedives once every 2-300 Rd and that always seemed to be in a match.

Broke down and bought a MBX 170. Should have done that first. So far so good. First match with new mag is this weekend.

First match running the MBX mag. First match with no issues since I started shooting Open in January.

Happy camper. I wasted enough time and money on the Gen 2 STI 170 to have bought another MBX...

I’ve never looked back or regretted spending the money on my MBX mags for my CK open pistols.

My friend just received the new DVC from STI after they took his old one back, and he’s had nothing but problems with the mags that came with the new DVC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had no issues running the mbx mags in my 9 major open gun. I’m having issues now that I have switched to super comp. The ammo is to long and binding up in some mags and not in the others.

I ordered some ammo from a local manufacturer and also tried Atlanta Arms to test out. I also asked the few locals I found who shoot 38 if I could get a few rounds of there ammo to trouble shoot the mags. I figured out that between the 5 mags they all had a different max length of ammo. The shortest rounds I had were 1.235 and there was one mag that this length could not get into the mag body. The ammo I tested measured from 1.235 to 1.280 and it seemed every mag had a sweet spot in that 0.045 range where the rounds would get stuck. I also tested all the ammo with a old and a new version of the sti mag and there was no issues.

I spent about a hour earlier tonight figuring all this out so haven’t came up with a solution just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/24/2018 at 9:40 PM, glocklover said:

I put the mag to the test tonight. It ran perfect in all four stages. I'm a believer!

Not surprised.  I had one mag that would catch on the slide when it closed on an empty chamber. Filed a slight taper on the back of the follower and it was solved.  I've been running MBX for years now, and Adrian and Tony have always been good to me.

Edited by resortboarder