Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm tiny flash port?

Redaye

OK, I'm calling it a flash port because I don't know what else to call it. It's the hole in base of the casing between the primer and the powder. I'm a newb and don't have all the terminology down yet. Anyhow, when decapping I'll occasionally (like 1 per 100) run across a casing that has a very small hole. So small that the decapping pin can't get through it. I don't force it and remove the casing and discard it. What's up with these tiny "flash ports".

Edited by Redaye

It's not the size of the flash hole, but much more likely a crimped primer which can be hard to decap.  OTOH, Berdan primed cases have two tiny flash holes to the decapping pin is trying to punch through the case

17 minutes ago, RickT said:

It's not the size of the flash hole, but much more likely a crimped primer which can be hard to decap.  OTOH, Berdan primed cases have two tiny flash holes to the decapping pin is trying to punch through the case

No, it's the size of the hole. I have ran across these as well, and took these pics. I don't know what the headstamp is, but it is an odd ball case. The case on the right is a normal case.20160312_102023.thumb.jpg.80c5b7075a285abe4e39e726dc43d40f.jpg20160312_102023.thumb.jpg.80c5b7075a285abe4e39e726dc43d40f.jpg

20160312_101616.jpg

20160312_101644.jpg

They are getting more and more common in europe, especially with the nontox ammo from S&B but also other brands like RUAG/Geco. The leadfree primers are weaker then normal ones, might optimise the flame...

RUAG/DAG now even goes back to berdan flash holes but with boxer primers. I assume its to keep the pressures low in the primer with the +P+ action 4 duty ammo.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

What headstamp are on the brass that has these tiny flash holes?   And there is only one centered hole, right?

Years past I've had some decapping pins stick in 45 ACP brass but its rare.

In my case, I have a variety of headstamps with tiny holes. (I've been trying to post a few pics to document but apparently I'm not allowed to do that,,,, yet.) For example: Win, A USA and R-P. Not EU casings, I don't think. 

Yay, more garbage in the 9mm variety.

Haven't come across that one yet, or the Lee decapper doesn't care. I've run across a few berdans but no flash holes undersized enough to matter to me. 

Edited by Beef15

16 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

No, it's the size of the hole. I have ran across these as well, and took these pics. I don't know what the headstamp is, but it is an odd ball case. The case on the right is a normal case.20160312_102023.thumb.jpg.80c5b7075a285abe4e39e726dc43d40f.jpg20160312_102023.thumb.jpg.80c5b7075a285abe4e39e726dc43d40f.jpg

20160312_101616.jpg

20160312_101644.jpg

Yes sir! That's exactly what I'm talking about. Except mine aren't necessarily oddball casings. I have Win and A USA headstamps with the same tiny holes. It's not a big deal but, they do slow things down. I don't try and force the pin through, in fact when I feel that kind of resistance, I'll back off, remove and discard the casing. 

I bought 200lbs of world shoot brass from 2014 and I've been slowly working my way through loading all the 9mm and I've been running into quite a bit of this same problem.  S&B brass seems to be the most prevalent (3-4% of all the 9mm), especially the NOTOX headstamp.  There is a ring around the flash hole, inside the case and my press comes to a hard stop when trying to decap them.  The decapping pin will not fit through the flash hole at all.

6 minutes ago, Beef15 said:

Yay, more garbage in the 9mm variety.

Haven't come across that one yet, or the Lee decapper doesn't care. I've run across a few berdans but no flash holes undersized enough to matter to me. 

Smaller pin size, maybe? Probably? IDK. I'm pretty new to this game and if smaller pin sizes are available for my press. I'll look into that. 

49 minutes ago, Redaye said:

Smaller pin size, maybe? Probably? IDK. I'm pretty new to this game and if smaller pin sizes are available for my press. I'll look into that. 

Not worth it, IMO. Simply toss the offending case and carry on.

1 minute ago, GrumpyOne said:

Not worth it, IMO. Simply toss the offending case and carry on.

That's what I do.  I crimp the mouth with a pair of pliers so it doesn't somehow get mixed back in with the good brass, then I toss it in the scrap bucket below my bench.

12 minutes ago, TennJeep1618 said:

That's what I do.  I crimp the mouth with a pair of pliers so it doesn't somehow get mixed back in with the good brass, then I toss it in the scrap bucket below my bench.

Yep, it's a very small percentage in comparison and other than the "hard stop" and remove and discard it's not a big deal. Thanks to all for your input. As a newb I run across these little anomalies that aren't really a hindrance but, more of a puzzle. I'm learning there's an almost overwhelming amount to learn and understand about this. Between manuals, YouTube, books and trial and error, etc. They're all good sources but, even better to know i can get your experience to add to that. 

A different decapping pin isn't a bad way to go. Pins are cheap and if you can find one that works with the cases it makes sorting and loading a lot faster. Compared to how long it takes to load a single round on a 650,  it takes a LOT of time to remove a bad case, crimp the mouth, and chuck it. I sometimes had issues with my Lee sizing die not punching out certain primers. My brother turned me on to some replacement pins from a company I had never heard of called Squirrel Daddy who make pins that are supposed to be the cat's meow. I found them on eBay for silly cheap and decided to give them a try. Turns out, he was right. They are pretty excellent pins and have decapped everything I have put in the press. 

If anyone wants to give them a try:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/QTY-3-Ball-End-Decapping-Pin-Upgrade-for-Lee-90783-90292-universal-decap-die/321663165765

• 4 years later...
12 hours ago, loubob said:

does anyone know where a pin could be purchased for a dillon square deal ?

Only at Dillon I would guess. They may even send you one for free.

Edited by RudyVey

I seem to remember some nickel Federal 9mm brass that had small flash holes, my Lee deprimer would get stuck in them.  Seemed to only happen with those Federal nickel, and the unplated brass cases were just fine.  

5 hours ago, konkapot said:

My hope is that they continue with the small ones, and then in about 3 years make another switch. Perhaps a hole that's off-center would be nice. 

Berdan.  It is cheaper to make with the anvil integral with the case and no separate piece to put in the cup.

On 7/21/2022 at 8:15 PM, loubob said:

does anyone know where a pin could be purchased for a dillon square deal ?

Hornady has a small diameter pin that fits the Dillon pistol dies. The flash hole is small just like 6BR rifle brass. A search if in the Dillon section will reveille the part number.  If I was at home I would give you the number.