Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slider Racker or Not

SeattleDude

Slider Racker or Not   

72 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Slide Racker on your 2011 Open Gun

• YES. Must have on Open
    • NO. I manage without it just fine

Hey crew. Wonder how many of you do NOT use slide rackers on your open 2011 pistols.

I just started shooting open and dont really feel the need for one. Plus it just looks like it could be very painful if somehow my thumb gets in the way.... ouch.

They provide an advantage  in my opinion especially if you run a sight that hangs off the back. If you just run a mini dot and have good serrations on the back of the slide you would be ok I guess. But for me it’s an option I’m allowed to have so I use them. 

i love me a slide racker. is it easy to grab the slide? sure. but its even EASIER to just hook a finger over the racker and be in a better position to get back on your grip. no brainer for me. 

I nearly lost a thumb nail on mine. It was pulled back and a little bloody.
I hit my thumb with it a total of three times but I stuck with it.
It’s an advantage. Good for table starts and it makes it easier and faster to rack the slide.
Just train yourself to keep your thumb down. A couple of whacks and you’ll learn quick!
I wouldn’t shoot open without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started off without one for a short time. Even using a RTS2 there isn’t much room for grabbing the slide. Put 45 degree rackers on both open guns. As soon as I tried one I put it on the limited gun also. Love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^ This also. I watched a guy with shielded safety's bobble around for a period time trying to clear a jam. He had a hard time racking it , if he had a racker would not have fought it near as long .

I believe having a slide racker on an open gun is pretty much a no brainer.  As others have said the ability to rack an open gun with many of the features that go into most builds today greatly limits your ability to rack the slide without one.  Whatever decision you make best of luck

17 hours ago, tcazes said:

i love me a slide racker. is it easy to grab the slide? sure. but its even EASIER to just hook a finger over the racker and be in a better position to get back on your grip. no brainer for me.

++++++1

I have two guns with rackers and one without.  It happens to be the one I shoot.  Even with a frame mounted Slideride, I have no trouble racking the slide.  It has large, wide serrations.  My backup gun has a smooth rear slide, and would be harder to rack by hand, so it has a racker.  Even though I'm a righty, the racker extends to the right.  That way I don't have to remove it when removing the slide.

The next 2011 I build will not have a racker.  It adds weight, so if you can get by without, you are better off IMO.

it only adds weight if you dont remove it from somewhere else. a lot of the modern day builders balance and reduce weight in their slides. doesnt make a difference if its on there or not.

Absolutely, MANDATORY when using thumb shields either SVI style or thumb safety style as the sight mount gets in the way without it... and then there's the table starts. You're leaving an advantage just sitting there for a table start if you don't have one. (IMO)

I don’t have one, the only advantage I’ve seen for one is the unloaded table starts, other than that, they seem to get in the way of my thumb on the draw, and  I’ve had my racker hit a prop causing my gun to jam

38 minutes ago, rishii said:

I don’t have one, the only advantage I’ve seen for one is the unloaded table starts, other than that, they seem to get in the way of my thumb on the draw, and  I’ve had my racker hit a prop causing my gun to jam

Hitting your thumb on draw is a practice issue. Hitting a prop is a crowding issue. Come on man! Lol 

Currently I have shot my Open gun at exactly two USPSA matches. I am more comfortable without racker. Its quick detach and I will keep it in the pocket in case of table starts.

Gun has DPP dot and there plenty of space behind it to grab a slide.... I dont know. Just not used to it I guess. Going to keep it off for now.

CHAOS-G2G.thumb.jpg.27054b28b3e06f6f8722e3e427af3a29.jpg

56 minutes ago, SeattleDude said:

Currently I have shot my Open gun at exactly two USPSA matches. I am more comfortable without racker. Its quick detach and I will keep it in the pocket in case of table starts.

Gun has DPP dot and there plenty of space behind it to grab a slide.... I dont know. Just not used to it I guess. Going to keep it off for now.

CHAOS-G2G.thumb.jpg.27054b28b3e06f6f8722e3e427af3a29.jpg

2 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Not sure you can put it in only on a stage where feel you need it.

5.1.8 applies

Well I will plan ahead of time during RO walk through if there is table starts at the match I guess. Or just live without it during table start =)